CrazyBoards.org

Right just a few questions ... I've had depression for about 4 years but its getting worse and worse and a friend has finally forced me to ring the docs, well, she rang for me.

- Well i've got really bad anxiety bout this don't know what to say at docs, how do i explain with the least details but so they know i'm bad enough for tablets? - sorry crap question

- Is it a good idea to take my friend in with me? she offered but theres a few things she doesnt know like self harm etc don't know if i should warm her bout them 1st?

- and..basically, what can get you sectioned? I know this is the anxiety but this is kind of why i'm scared to go docs, i basically don't want them telling me i'm crazy and locking me up, been stressin bout it. So what symptons, behaviours etc can get you sectioned?

sorry this post is crap

thanks

xx

This is the Mind web page outlining sectioning procedures in the UK. As far as I know, to section someone in the UK, they have to be clearly a danger to themselves or to others to be forcibly sectioned on a section three. Most self harmers that I know of are not sectioned, I self harm and have been honest with my medical team about it and have never been forcibly sectioned. There is a great emphasis on keeping mentally ill people in their own homes and in the community as much as possible, as hospital admission is rarely very therapeutic in the long term. I recommend getting in touch with your Primary Care Trust in your locality, and asking if there are a mental health teams or services that specialize in treating self harm (if you want to pm me your rough location I can do some research for you), and then ask your GP to refer you to them. It's unfortunate that many GP's aren't trained in self harm treatment and aren't very sensitive to it, though some are very good. I do recommend seeing your GP, take a friend and a little note about what symptoms you suffer, so you can communicate what you are going through and don't miss anything out.

The Mind website also says:

'Depression shows up in many different ways. People don't always realise what's going on, because their problems seem to be physical, not mental. They tell themselves they're simply under the weather or feeling tired. But, if you tick off five or more of the following symptoms, it's likely you're depressed.

* being restless and agitated

* waking up early, having difficulty sleeping, or sleeping more

* feeling tired and lacking energy; doing less and less

* using more tobacco, alcohol or other drugs than usual

* not eating properly and losing or putting on weight

* crying a lot

* difficulty remembering things

* physical aches and pains with no physical cause

* feeling low-spirited for much of the time, every day

* being unusually irritable or impatient

* getting no pleasure out of life or what you usually enjoy

* losing interest in your sex life

* finding it hard to concentrate or make decisions

* blaming yourself and feeling unnecessarily guilty about things

* lacking self-confidence and self-esteem

* being preoccupied with negative thoughts

* feeling numb, empty and despairing

* feeling helpless

* distancing yourself from others; not asking for support

* taking a bleak, pessimistic view of the future

* experiencing a sense of unreality

* self-harming (by cutting yourself, for example)

* thinking about suicide.

Anxiety

People who are depressed are often very anxious. It's not clear whether the anxiety leads into the depression or whether the depression causes the anxiety. A person feeling anxious may have a mind full of busy, repetitive thoughts, which make it hard to concentrate, relax, or sleep. They may have physical symptoms, such as headaches, aching muscles, sweating and dizziness. It may cause physical exhaustion and general ill health.'

That list might be worth printing out and ticking off. The more detail you can go into, the more the doctor can help you, I know you have said that you don't want to get into it, but I have only made things worse by hiding things. Your GP may prescribe you antidepressants, or counselling, or a combination of both. If necessary, they might refer you to the local Community Mental Health Team, and you might be assessed by a psychiatrist/community psychiatric nurse.

I've pm'd you some details that might help.

That list might be worth printing out and ticking off. The more detail you can go into, the more the doctor can help you, I know you have said that you don't want to get into it, but I have only made things worse by hiding things.

karuna pretty much covered it all! I just want to second a few things- definetly print out or write down your symptoms (maybe have your friend help you with some of them? it sounds like she might be seeing things that you can't) and you can start your appointment by saying "I'm a bit nervous/anxious about this appointment, just wanted to let you know that, so I wrote down why I'm here roughly so I don't forget anything" just be honest. I know you said you don't want to really go into it with the doctor, BUT that's what they are there for. They can do their job and help you much much much better if they know the whole story. You'll be doing yourself a disservice if you leave things out, don't sugar-coat it (I've made that mistake in the past and not telling the doctor how bad it really is won't help you) 30minutes of a uncomfortable talking about these things could help them to go away --that's years of your life that you might not enjoy or be awake for. 30minutes is a small price and you need to do justice to yourself.

((steps off soapbox))

sorry that I got all lecture-y there but you sound like me before I went to the doctor for the first time, and I'd hate to see you suffer longer than you need to, you know? goodluck, you can do it.

meg

hey again-- let us know how it goes!

I just had my appointment and didn't follow my own advice about writing *everything* down and I wish I had!

goodluck,

meg

Archived