CrazyBoards.org

Anyone Heard of Seroquel as Mood Stabilizer?

Hello There,

I am Schizoaffective Bipolar Type, and just saw a new pdoc yesterday. I have exhausted the anti-convulsant meds, and rather than putting me on Lithium which is what I thought she would do, she started me on Seroquel. Does anyone here take Seroquel without another mood stabilizer and have success with just that?

I have been in a serious depressive state lately, but this always seems to precede a manic episode. Do I need to ask to be put on Lithium in addition to the Seroquel, or is Seroquel enough to keep me from switching to mania on it's own? Moved recently, and have never seen this pdoc before and want to make sure she knows what she's doing. Thanks.

Seroquel is classed as an atypical antipsychotic, however it does have mood stabilizing properties, in addtion to being used for anxiety and at very low doses as a sleep aid. Seroquel is sort of a 'swiss army knife' of meds!

I've used it as an adjunct med and came to like it after a few weeks. I wish my pdoc would let me keep some for prn use.

Give it a try. It will probably be pretty sedating the first week or two but that usually wears off quickly.

Good luck!

a.m.

From a bit of initial googling, it appears that Seroquel can especially treat depressive episodes, and to a lesser extent manic episodes. The Seroquel website says that it can be used to manage Bipolar symptoms, so I can see why your pdoc has prescribed it (especially if the anticonvulsants don't work for you.) I suppose that you need to give it a go, and if things don't get any better, go back and ask for an adjustments.

Antipsychotics seem to be the new hotness in mood stabilizers. First it was the anticonvulsants (such as the Depa- [valproate] family, Lamictal/lamotrigine, and Topamax/topiramate). Well okay, it was first lithium, then all those.

Zyprexa (a fellow AAP) is approved in the US for maintenance treatment of bipolar disorder (i.e., you'd take it all the time, and not just to control mania) when combined with either lithium or a valproate. However, that doesn't stop docs from prescribing it as maintenance treatment for BP folks.

There's also a blurb in Zyprexa's prescribing information sheet that says it proved itself for the US FDA for maintenance therapy in BPs all by itself... for two weeks. I have no idea how or why you'd do a two week trial for maintenance therapy of BP.

Anyways, back to Seroquel. A lot of people think it's similar to Zyprexa (and it is in at least one aspect, and that's sedation!). I'm sure that Seroquel's manufacturer has debated (or is already conducting) trials for it as maintenance (and possibly monotherapy) for BP. The more FDA approvals, the merrier.

Now, I happen to hate antidopaminergics (APs/AAPs) with a passion, but I have other reasons. So yes, I still think you should talk to your pdoc about Seroquel for BP maintenance treatment.

yeah, seroquel is also a mood stabilizer. it is in that atypical antipsychotic class, or the new class of drugs du jour for just about anything that is wrong with you. i think you could have a broken leg and they'd give you seroquel.

a lot of people really like it. for me personally, i gave it 3 tries and it got 3 strikes so it is out. it makes me sleep 15 hours a day, EAT from here until tomorrow (thus getting fat), have nightmares, and feel like i'm about to throw up at any second. but i wouldn't throw up, unlike on effexor, where i threw up after every meal (involuntarily). i could tolerate it all except the nightmares. i couldn't sleep and it started to agitate my mania because of my weird sleep patterns.

it is more of an antidepressent than antimanic, but they claim that about lamictal and lamictal has been a strong antimanic for me, a bp1 with a history of wild manias.

there are new studies out there showing a good link between seroquel use over the long term and increased risk of overweight and diabetes, which doesn't surprise me, considering that it makes you sleep a lot and eat a lot.

all i can say is that all of us are different, and some people around here praise the stuff as the miracle that kept them out of the grave. it could be your salvation too. who knows? i'd give it a go and see how it makes you feel and if it knocks out both your BP/depression and schizoaffective symptoms. it could be a good way to knock down your med load and give you some peace of mind.

good luck,

loon

I love my Seroquel. It has helped me a lot with my bi polar, especially the mania. Check out the website for more information, they have a great website.

But, as always, your mileage may vary. Give it a shot though. Good luck!

My last pdoc was a big believer in Seroquel as mood stabilizer. I was not able to pull it off as monotherapy during one, brief trial- but I do think it helped even things out as an adjunct. It's worth a try, everybody's different and all that.

I take it for BPI as a mood stablizer and it works nicely at 125mg.

At higher doses I was unable to function.

I also encorporate a lot of lifestyle things (regular sleep, healthy food, exercise, no alcohol/caffiene etc). Meds are a part of the solution, but don't let a pdoc or anyone tell you that meds are all you need to control Bipolar.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm up to 300mgs now, and not feeling much, and sleeping all the time. My depression is not any better. I will give it a fair chance and hope that I quit feeling like this soon. Ugh. If not, going to talk with pdoc about trying something else.

Thanks again.

My niece used to take Seroquel for her bipolar I.

And it worked really well as a mood stabilizer, for her.

Granted, she stays mostly on the manic side of bipolar.

She's now on Lamictal because she needed a higher dose,

but Seroquel put a lot of weight on her. So it was decided

that going with another mood stabilizer was better than upping

her Seroquel.

However, Seroquel worked better for her.

i used to take seroquel but stopped because it made me extremely sleepy, and if i needed to be up at a certain i couldnt because it would make me sleep for atleast 8hrs if not more. i could never work my way past 200mg to get to a mood stablizing phase.. but i do take lithium, when i do take it it works pretty well. but im doing neurontin as well.

Good - Luck!

Archived