CrazyBoards.org

Hello,

I have struggled with MI for years now, and have at some time or another been diagnosed with Schizophrenia, and Bipolar.

Yesterday I saw a new pdoc, (just moved to Texas,) and she diagnosed me as Schizoaffective. Now is there a difference between being Schizoaffective, or having Schizophrenia and Bipolar? Or is that basically what it is, just the two disorders lumped together because the docs are too lazy to write down two dx's?

Anyone else here have this dx? Any good online support groups for the disorder? Thanks.

I think there is a difference. There are seperate diagnostic criteria for each, but I couldn't tell you the difference. My diagnosis changed form bp to sza because I have psychosis even without mood swings. My biggest problem is delusions.

Here are some links:

http://www.geometricvisions.com/Madness/sc...ctive-disorder/

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/schizoaffectiveorg/

Welcome to Texas (we live in DFW)! I would imagine dd falls into the SZAffective catagory but they have yet to add the Schizo part to her official dx. From what I can tell, it's used for those with psychotic symptoms that are not directly tied to a mood episode (generally mania). I don't know of any support groups but if you find any, please let us know!

Take care~

DMF

Hello,

I have struggled with MI for years now, and have at some time or another been diagnosed with Schizophrenia, and Bipolar.

Yesterday I saw a new pdoc, (just moved to Texas,) and she diagnosed me as Schizoaffective. Now is there a difference between being Schizoaffective, or having Schizophrenia and Bipolar? Or is that basically what it is, just the two disorders lumped together because the docs are too lazy to write down two dx's?

Anyone else here have this dx? Any good online support groups for the disorder? Thanks.

Welcome to Texas (we live in DFW)! I would imagine dd falls into the SZAffective catagory but they have yet to add the Schizo part to her official dx. From what I can tell, it's used for those with psychotic symptoms that are not directly tied to a mood episode (generally mania). I don't know of any support groups but if you find any, please let us know!

I'm sza and I go to a DBSA (depression and bipolar support alliance) support group. They have a website with info on support groups. There is another woman with sza in our group. I would like to go to a schizophrenia group, because most of my problems are with psychosis, but I haven't been able to find one.

It depends how much of a geek your pdoc is. If their lazy and go from DSM or ICD definitions then a dual dx and a sza dx are the same. If they are geeky and keep up with research then there is a difference, but may still write your dx as SZA for general purposes to GPs and stuff and only write it out the splitting hairs way for anything that requires detailed specifics.

These things are often described as a spectrum with BP on one end and SZ on the other end. A classic SZA dx lies in the middle, but since the genes that lay down these illnesses aren't clumped together on the double helix, they are sprayed out over the whole length, it is also possible to have a dx which is more like a series of two or more spots along the line of the spectrum... which could be one on the catatonic schizophrenia point and one on the BP 1 RC point.

SZA is most like a dual dx of paranoid SZ and either BP NOS or MDD.

But about the only time it would be relevant to split hairs that much would be for in depth neuropsych testing for another disorder of teh brain that can have common symptoms.

Thanks everyone for the responses, I appreciate it a lot. Still, if anyone knows of a good online support group, please reply to this or pm me. Always nice to know I'm not alone. And thanks DMF for the welcome to Texas. I live in the Dallas area as well.

Toxic,

DD sees a doctor in the HEB area who was highly recommended as a doctor who has a great deal of experience with SZ. It's been interesting.......... If you are interested, send me a private message and I'll share more info with you. He might be worth a second opinion, if you are looking for that.

DMF

Archived