CrazyBoards.org

Abilify, Strattera, and Wellbutrin!

I've been suffereing from depression for years; well it comes and goes. A few months ago, I went to my pdoc for help treating my depression. I told him it was different this time, that I was experiencing a lot of anger issues..so he gave me abilify. I took it, and didn't really notice a big difference, maybe I didn't give it enough time though. But I suspect, maybe I was either pms'ing or just going through an "angry" stage of my depression..I dunno. So when I went back to see him a month later, I was feeling fine, hadn't had any outbursts..but like I said, maybe that week I went to see him for my anger, was really just a one time deal.. Anywho, I told him I was feeling fine, but had some ADD issues..so he gave me strattera. Fast forward another month, I was feeling depressed, so he gave me Wellbutrin.. I must admit I haven't been taking my meds cause I've been feeling just depressed...not angry..so I've kinda stopped the abilify >_<. So now, I have a script for 3 meds.. Abilify, Strattera, and Wellbutrin. And being the self medicator I am (I know, it's wrong) I haven't decided if I should take all 3 or not. Maybe just take the Wellbutrin..and my "anger" issues (if i have any) and my ADD issues will go away?! eeeeep. I don't know what to do, and the thought of taking 3 meds seems like a lot.. plus, I've heard on these boards that Strattera and Wellbutrin don't go well together or something. Any suggestions??

abilify has been a godsend for my anger issues. i personally would be hesitant to give it up.

wellbutrin can sometimes help with ADD, and it's a good antidepressant.

you may want to call your doctor about his decision to use strattera. there are many many ADD medications out there, and if you are uncomfortable taking strattera you are by no means without options.

as for three meds being a lot... take it from me, don't stop taking a medication just because you think you are on too many meds. i did that last fall with wellbutrin and i crashed really hard. it doesn't matter how many meds you're on, what matters is getting to your treatment goal and getting your symptoms under control.

if you are nervous about the strattera, please call your Dr. Otherwise, don't be frightened of taking 3 medications at once. It is very common.

if you are nervous about the strattera, please call your Dr. Otherwise, don't be frightened of taking 3 medications at once. It is very common.

I'm going to go ahead and be unoriginal and pretty much second everything that penny just said. I especially especially agree that you should call and talk to your doctor about the strattera if that's the one you're most worried about. There are a LOT of options, and taking 3 meds seems like a lot sometimes, but it's pretty common (look down, I'm on three!).

wellbutrin (the one out of the three I've tried) really can be very helpful, but like all ADs, you HAVE to take it for a prelonged period of time in order for it to help you. It can start working in a month, which is awesome and pretty quick for ADs, but you have to take it every day and be responsible about it--otherwise, you'll get side-effects but no benefits ;) there's no point in doing that to yourself. anyway, just my 2cents, I've been much more stable since I became a regular, habitual med-taker.

luck, be good to yourself!

meg

the funny thing about meds is that they don't work in the bottle, they work in your body. you have to take them for them to work. abilify should help with any moods and anger issues you have- i don't even have anger issues and it mellows me out. wellbutrin is a great AD and i take it too. i've taken strattera and it is a first line med for ADD. you might need a stim for the ADD.

look at our signatures. most of us list our meds. look at all the meds we take to manage our disorders! it is very, very common to take 3 meds. 3 is nothing. i wish i only needed 3. i take abilify, wellbutrin, lamictal, klonopin, and adderall. so i take 5 meds.

give them a shot. if you're afraid, talk to your pdoc about it and get more information. feel like you're a partner in your health care. when you feel that way, you'll be more likely to be med compliant.

thanks guys! I really feel better about my medications now. Must have been my anxiety getting the best of me >_<

Think I'ma just take all 3 like my dr wants me to, and see how it goes. Dr knows best =)

<3

Archived