CrazyBoards.org

Just started EMSAM

Hi All,

This is my first post here.

I am being treated for ADD (actually have NLD) and mild depression.

This is my second day on the EMSAM patch. I have been on stims for about 13 years straight and have become less than thrilled with the effects of them so I thought it was time for a change.

I have not been happy with the overall effect of SSRI, SNRI's in the past. Wellbutrin has been just ok for me and Lyrica was pretty good for me but weight gain/edema prevents me from taking it regularly.

I have had major problems with CFS in recent years but, thanfully the worst of the physical fatigue has abated this past year. I attribute this to the beneficial effect Lyrica (took for about a year)had on my sleep.

So far I am more alert than I would normally be w/o stims and less hungry so this is a good sign.

My biggest problem these days is utter lack of motivation, anhedonia/dsthymia. I just lay around all the time.

I am terribly bored.

I hope there is someone else out there who is further along with EMSAM that can provide some encouragement.

Thanks!

AxXiok

I am not any further along than you are so cannot offer any advice, but I went to the pdoc today, and she started me on Emsam, too. I have on my first patch right now. From what I have heard it's usually not very effective, so I don't have very high hopes for it... but I have exhausted all the other classes of AD's, and pdoc won't give me the older school MAOI's until I have given Emsam a chance. Bleh. Well, here's to hoping it works well for both of us. Keep us updated on how it's going. Good luck.

Don't be so sure. I have not had much luck with AD but I think this stuff is working!

This is day 6-7 form me. I have been off stims for a week and normally I get worse and worse off of them. I have been doing a bit better every day and today was really good. Not depressed or tired. Didn't eat the entire world either.

This cannot be placebo. I have been taking some form of stimulant for over 10 years straight and I know precisely how bad I suck when I am off of them. I am gaining more hope every day. There is something good about this med.

Oh-side effects. ZILCH!!!!! I mean nothing.

Is this even possible????

Hang in there and give us an update, 'k?

Peace,

AxXiom

I am not any further along than you are so cannot offer any advice, but I went to the pdoc today, and she started me on Emsam, too. I have on my first patch right now. From what I have heard it's usually not very effective, so I don't have very high hopes for it... but I have exhausted all the other classes of AD's, and pdoc won't give me the older school MAOI's until I have given Emsam a chance. Bleh. Well, here's to hoping it works well for both of us. Keep us updated on how it's going. Good luck.

Hey TAngel.

You still out there?

Update: Been on Emsam for about 8 days. I am not sleepy or depressed but very little motivation which is weird.

My energy level has been a huge issue for so long. I couldn't do crap unless I was taking amphetamines.

Somtimes I would have the energy but not the motivation but ususally if i could gain some physical energy I was up and

at 'em.

I don't feel like 'on fire' energetic or very restless just normal I guess. Definately not leaden or drowsy the way I normally am off of my stims.

I just kinda feel like I don't give much of a damn although I know I can do stuff if I want.

This is still an improvement for me to not be tired. I hope it gets better.

No other side effect to speak of.

Peace,

AxXiom

• 4 weeks later...

I have been on Emsam for 1 month now (6mg patch) I am doing well. Mood is good, sleep is good (maybe a little too much), Less anxiety.

I am unhappy with my low level of motivation and lack of initative. This has always been a problem for me. My attention span is poor too.

I will see my p-doc tomorrow and will see about either going up to the 9mg patch or maybe adding something to it.

I miss my stims but there is so much good in this med that I am willing to give it every opportunity to work before messing with it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

AxXiom

This sounds encouraging! Is Emsam available in the US? This is the MAOI type patch, right?

Yes, the ENSAM selegeline patch is available in the States and is an MAOI. I'm glad it seems to be working for someone as it did nothing for me. No side effects for me either, so I was happy about that.

Tommy

Hi All,

Ever since I hit the 1 month mark I have been feeling pretty good.

My Dr. added Namenda-I don't know how much that is contributing. He says it is an excellent med for ADD.

I am on the starter pack-day five 5 mg. I am supposed to go slowly up to 20 mg and then see what the difference between 10 and 20 is.

This is an Alzheimers med. Does anyone have any experience with it? I believe it blocks excess glutamate (among other things).

So far no real side effects. I have felt just a tad loopy after taking it.

We shall see.

Peace,

Kaye

Archived