CrazyBoards.org

They are making me go on camp.

The Powers That Be are making me go on camp with Year 6 next week. Bastards. Me, Mr. John-Boring-As-Hell, and twenty-eight Year 6 kids, travelling in a bus for six hours to our Nation's Capital. Fuck.

Not happy.

Crazy people who need familiar places, comfort, regimented exercise, sleep and meds, shouldn't be left in charge of week-long camps.

I am getting anxious about this whole deal. Esp. since I am the only qualified First Aider so I am in charge of dishing out kids' meds and dealing with sick kids. Can't. Stand. Vomit. Ewwww.

Worse is that I don't know that I can sleep without my husband any more. I have spent the last few years conditioning myself to sleep beside him and now I am being forced away from him for a week.

This might seem rather over-done and irrational, but I assure you - I am FREAKING OUT about this. I have been bawling my eyes out. Stupid I know.

Any coping strategy suggestions?

Bern

Man, that would be my personal nightmare. A WEEK? 28 kids? Whoa.

Off the top of my head, I would suggest xanax or something to ease anxiety, but that doesn't solve the problem, just makes you numb to it. Talk to your doc and see what he says, he may be able to give you a short supply to tide you over.

As for sleeping with hubby, how about bringing a pillow with you that smells like him for you to hold onto when you sleep? Maybe ease yourself into it by sleeping with the pillow for the time leading up to camp.

Is there any way to get out of it? Maybe think about looking for a new job since you are forced on this retreat from hell. Try talking yourself out of the anxiety (yeah, like it's gonna work - but it's worth a shot). Tell the irrational side of your brain that it won't be as bad as you think, you need to just get through it, you are strong and can handle it, etc. And lots of deep breathing.

I feel for you.

Hi,

I would feel the same way - 28 kids and no one to sleep next to at night. YIKES!!!

do you know the kids? I apologize as I dont know the age group for "year 6." but any responsibility for a large group of children would be impossible for me. my heart really does go out to you.

I like SG's advice about the pillow. and the first night apart you may not get comfortable enough to sleep - but by the next day maybe you'll fall asleep right away as those kids will have tired you out. and hopefully you'll be able to get sleep the rest of the week.

i hope.

much peace,

december

Powers that Be = my boss. Unfortunately, this is part of my job description as a senior teacher.

I don't actually know many of these kids though - only the eight or so girls in my pastoral care group. They are all aged around eleven - twelve, a bit younger than I'm used to, but not too little.

I will be SO taking a pillow. I can't believe I didn't think of this. My brain is fuzzy this week. My doc upped my meds again and they've been settling in, so I think I'll be ok, come Monday and my anxiety might be more managable. *fingers crossed*

Plus, my good friend Diz lives there, and she just called and said that she managed to free up some of her evenings to come and keep me company. That will be awesome. She can give me a hug. We've been friends for fifteen years or longer. Plus, Stinky is also there ;)

OK, feeling positive about this right now. I can do this. Yeah, I can do this. Right? I can, huh?

Thanks so much for your advice. I know I am a crappy crazyboards-boardie - not very good at posting etc, but I do read and I do care and appreciate y'alls more than I can say.

Thanks *hugs to all*

Bern

OK, here I go. Am about to shut down the 'puter and head to CANBERRA for four nights with the kiddies. *deep breaths* Trying not to panic. Trying not to puke. Think happy thoughts for me, please. I woke up early all teary and have been curled up with Husband getting cuddles, but now I have to go. :'(

Bern

I survived! I am exhausted and completely wrung out but I made it. My jaw hurts from teeth clenching, and I think I need to sleep for a few more hours yet. Eleven year olds are awful little sods who cry and complain ALOT. But at least they kept me busy and while I feel significantly more depressed than I did before spending a week in Canberra with them, I feel relieved to know I made it and I have the weekend to hide and recouperate before school on Monday. More meds and some me-time and I'll be back to my usual level of depression.

Bern.

Congrats!!!

My senior year of high school I was a counselor for the eighth grade trip, which meant several days taking care of a large number of 13 year olds. It was enough to make me realize I never wanted to do that again.

You done good, Bern. ;)

Now go put your feet up and try to relax!

Hey well done Bern for getting through it. Do you ever take baths? I got myself reaquainted with them the other day.

Where abouts are you?

I've been to Canberra once. It was ok. Was interesting to see parliament house. Not rushing back though.

By the way, I love Black Books. I think Dylan Moran is really cute. Fran and Manny are awesome too.

I love baths Tim Dusty. Husband and I are considering putting a decent sized bath in as our current bath is a fancy puddle. Baths are very Plath-like, I find. I always think of the Bell Jar when I take them.

Meanwhile, I'm up in Newcastle. I liked Parliament, and the "bush" feeling of Canberra. And yes, Black Books is fantastic. I have been drinking this evening and quoting Bernard lots.

Yay for Dylan Moran!

;)

Bern

I am a bath junkie. I also think the amount of time I spend in the bathtub is directly proportional to how depressed I am.

I took a bath last night (not because I was depressed, but because I was sore) and it's the first bath I've taken in my new apartment...and I just realized that the tub is HUGE. My last tub was, like you said, a fancy puddle. I feel like I could SWIM in this new tub.

I've never thought of baths as Plathlike, but now that you mention it... I get it. I think it fits. That's neat... I like that.

I think drinking and Bernard quotes go hand in hand! Did you recently quote on here the line about nailing Manny's beard to the frisbee and throwing it over a rainbow? Not sure if it was you. That's one of my faves. Or you are a beard with an idiot hanging off it! Poor Manny. I'm going to have to watch it now.

Did you ever get into The Office?

I haven't been to Newcastle. Whenever I've ventured up that way it's been by plane. Will have to do a proper road trip one day.

I am trying to have a peaceful weekend, December - it's so-so. My friend Mrs E came visiting last night and we ate out and drank wine. It was good. She woke me early this morning though and dragged me out for breakfast and shopping and I feel kinda spacey this afternoon. I'm doing laundry and watching birds outside. I'm not up for much else. In fact, I think I'll abandon the laundry and stick with the birds.

Becca, I am jealous of your huge bath! ;) Seriously, I think I need to accelerate the installation of a new bath. My body needs it.

Tim, I haven't quoted BLACK-BOOKS recently, but I should. There should be more BBs quotes on here! :) I never much got into The Office, I have too many other loves: Stargate SG1; Firefly; Heroes etc

ok, back to my noisy birds. :cussing:

I survived! I am exhausted and completely wrung out but I made it. My jaw hurts from teeth clenching, and I think I need to sleep for a few more hours yet. Eleven year olds are awful little sods who cry and complain ALOT. But at least they kept me busy and while I feel significantly more depressed than I did before spending a week in Canberra with them, I feel relieved to know I made it and I have the weekend to hide and recouperate before school on Monday. More meds and some me-time and I'll be back to my usual level of depression.

Bern.

Ooooooooooooooooo happy for you!!!! You made it!!!

I was getting major anxiety just reading the posts. I'm so glad the ending was good for you.

Yeah, 'cept recovery has been slooooow due to the fuck-arsed-ness of my school. The bastards made me work two twelve hour days (Mon+Tues)! Who does this?!

I started at 8am w/ devotions and meetings, classes from 9 - 3 w/ playground duty in between, then parent teacher meetings from 3:30 - 8pm. Both days! Excuse me while I go nuts!!!!

I spent today, Wednesday, feeling dazed and confused. I stayed in pyjamas and hugged pillows and drank tea. I hardly feel better and I dread tomorrow. I fucking hate my job.

;)

Archived