CrazyBoards.org

I was wondering if anyone has had problems determining when is best time to take some of their medications? I am on 20mg on Lexapro, and if I take it at night, I wake up in a grumpy mood. If I take it in the morning, I get drowsy and end up going back to bed. So now I just take it when I get up to use the bathroom (usually around 4 or 5am), and it seems to work best that way. Besides that, I love it.

is this a new med for you? it can take a couple of weeks or so to get adjusted to new meds. i always took my lex at night cuz it did make me drowsy but some of the side effects do wear off after a few weeks. good luck and i hope that made sense.

I took it in the morning with the rest of my meds. But it tended to activate me a bit. So that timing worked well for me.

First few weeks I had some side effects, but nothing major. In fact, I can't even really remember what they were. But it was a couple years ago.

Have you considered taking it around dinner time? (I couldn't find out any info on how food in your stomach can affect Lexapro's availability to your brain, so perhaps 30 minutes before eating a large meal is a prudent idea).

I don't know how quickly it tends to tire you, but it just might right around your bedtime.

On the other hand, I personally find it difficult to take meds more than twice a day (if hypothetically one of my meds didn't get along with me in the morning or night, I'd probably forget to take it half the time at midday).

Interestingly, Cymbalta (my AD poison of choice) is known as an activating antidepressant (generally), but I find it best taken at night. Not because it sedates me, but I noticed (the hard way) that it improves my quality of sleep. If I moved the dose to the morning (or tried to taper off the drug!), I would suffer from intense dreaming and drenching night sweats.

I don't know what Lexapro might/might not do to your quality of sleep, so you might want to dork with taking it in the early evening to see if your sleep changes (for the better). I'm just suggesting that, since in addition to my own Cymbalta experience, my mother's told me that she swears by taking her Zoloft mid-evening since she thinks it makes her drowsy at just the right time and makes her sleep soundly without giving her a "hangover" effect.

Archived