CrazyBoards.org

Switching from Klonopin to Ativan

I'm just about to switch from Klonopin to Ativan. I have severe GAD with elevated cortisol levels. Ativan has worked well for me in the past but because my memory isn't great and I need a steady dose my doctors wanted to try me on Klonopin since I wouldn't have to take it as much. I've tried for over 6 months but it just isn't cutting it.

So I'm switching from .25mg of Klonopin in the AM and 1mg before bed to 1mg of Ativan three times a day. This was just done as an emergency because I got really bad and had to go to the ER, I follow-up with my doctor in 2 weeks (he's on vacation) to see about taking slightly more at night because 1mg generally isn't enough to help me fall asleep at a sane hour.

What I'd like to know is if you have to do anything when you switch over or if it's just a direct switch (i.e. stop the Klonopin and immediately start the Ativan?). Also, has anyone tried Buspar? That was recommended to me as well but from what I've read it only works well when combined with anti-depressants which I can't take due to nasty reactions...any experiences combining it with benzos?

Thanks!

I'm just about to switch from Klonopin to Ativan. I have severe GAD with elevated cortisol levels. Ativan has worked well for me in the past but because my memory isn't great and I need a steady dose my doctors wanted to try me on Klonopin since I wouldn't have to take it as much. I've tried for over 6 months but it just isn't cutting it.

So I'm switching from .25mg of Klonopin in the AM and 1mg before bed to 1mg of Ativan three times a day. This was just done as an emergency because I got really bad and had to go to the ER, I follow-up with my doctor in 2 weeks (he's on vacation) to see about taking slightly more at night because 1mg generally isn't enough to help me fall asleep at a sane hour.

What I'd like to know is if you have to do anything when you switch over or if it's just a direct switch (i.e. stop the Klonopin and immediately start the Ativan?). Also, has anyone tried Buspar? That was recommended to me as well but from what I've read it only works well when combined with anti-depressants which I can't take due to nasty reactions...any experiences combining it with benzos?

Thanks!

Benzos other than xanax are fairly interchangeable. Klonopin has a long half life so its probably best to start the atvian the following day, otherwise you could find yourself really drowsy. A lot of people are on combos of atvian and klonopin - one for the day and one for at night etc.

Buspar has a mixed reputation - there are those who swear by it and many who say it does little or nothing. I think its a very individual thing.

If possible, go easy on the atvian until you see your dr. Good luck!

Archived