CrazyBoards.org

Justice Sandra Day O'Connor...

"Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, the first woman to serve on the United States Supreme Court and a crucial swing vote on abortion and a host of other divisive social issues, announced today that she was resigning, setting up what is sure to be a tumultuous fight over confirming her successor." ~NY Times

I'm not really trying to start a war of the worlds here, but I just thought that this had to be mentioned...

How is this happening?  How is our government continuing to become more and more Republican?!  I'm going to let some portions of the article speak for themselves, because if I really get started on this, I will never stop... this bites...

"Since joining the court in 1981, replacing Justice Potter Stewart, Justice O'Connor has been at the very center of the court in almost every sense, and has held or helped define the balance of power on many of the issues of broadest concern to the nation, including affirmative action, the death penalty and religion.

But it was her stance on abortion, and in particular her role in reaffirming Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 ruling that put the court on the side of abortion rights, that put her most squarely in the middle of culture wars that have increasingly dominated not just the courts but political discourse in general.

Replacing her with an opponent of abortion rights would not by itself be enough to overturn Roe v. Wade; it would take a shift of two votes in the court's current composition to do so. But it would change the balance of power on the court when it comes to lesser restrictions on abortion, such as bans on the procedure its opponents call partial-birth abortion, and it would move the court that much closer to overturning Roe, the long held goal of many social conservatives." ~NY Times

Now the balance of power in the Supreme Court is going to be all fucked up... like many other aspects of our Republican dominated governement.

"One of the liberal groups expected to be active in the looming confirmation battle, People for the American Way, said the choice of her successor would be a critical moment.

"Justice O'Connor has been the most important figure on the court in recent years," said Ralph G. Neas, president of the group. "Her replacement will have a monumental impact on the lives and freedoms of Americans for decades to come."

Mr. Neas urged the president to engage in bipartisan consultations with the Senate before settling on a nominee and to reject pressure from conservatives for an ideological nominee." ~NY Times

I can't... really, I swear, if I get started, god only knows what I will say.  By the way, do any of the Canadians on the boards have an extra bedroom I might be able to occupy?  Our nation keeps getting more and more screwed up by the day....

ugh!

Bipartisanship: I'll hug your elephant if you kiss my ass!

Ophelia, I know just how you feel. But the good news -- or so I predict -- is that I doubt Bush is going to go for a real activist on this nomination. He'll go conservative for sure, but I have a feeling it won't be neoconservative. His polls are low, people are waking up little by little, and moderate Repubs are making noises. For these and other reasons, I suspect Bush will want a fairly easy confirmation this time since he is sure to have major trouble when he tries to get Gonzalez confirmed after Rehnquist retires.

That's my prediction anyway. Note: I also predicted Kerry would be making these nominations. FWIW.

clumsycrawling

P.S. Loved your definition of bipartisanship. I'm stealing it.

Archived