CrazyBoards.org

Doctor doesn't listen to me

Today at my doctors appointment I told my doctor how I still feel sad all the time and think about killing myself etc. but he thinks I'm over my depression. I am feeling much better but it's just that emotionless AD-induced numb feeling and I've stopped crying. I feel OK emotionally but I'm thinking "life sucks, i hate myself, i hate my life, i want to die and escape it" My doctor thinks any depressed feelings I have now are justified by how crap my life is so I'm not mentally ill. I do think I have plenty of reason to be depressed but should I be satisfied with this level of improvement and stop worrying about meds and doctors or could I be feeling better than this?

WHAT? Your doc sounds dangerously inattentive and dismissive. You are not "over" your depression (people don't just get over a disease, dummy doc) and you need med tweaking. If not a full on med assault.

How is your life such crap that it is justifyable to be suicidal?? That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Furthermore, how can you call yourself emotionally OK if you want to die? You're not OK. Sorry to be the one to break it to you.

Get a new doc. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Do something about this NOW.

(ETA: A therapist would help you with your feelings of despair, but still get a new pdoc)

WHAT? Your doc sounds dangerously inattentive and dismissive. You are not "over" your depression (people don't just get over a disease, dummy doc) and you need med tweaking. If not a full on med assault.

How is your life such crap that it is justifyable to be suicidal?? That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Furthermore, how can you call yourself emotionally OK if you want to die? You're not OK. Sorry to be the one to break it to you.

Get a new doc. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Do something about this NOW.

(ETA: A therapist would help you with your feelings of despair, but still get a new pdoc)

Awesome I'd love to tell you why my life sucks..

I'm a 16 year old gay male. I fail at everything. I have no life, no friends. I can't stand school and can't concentrate so I've failed everything. I hate myself. I'm poor. I hate every second of my life it's just pain. I'm going nowhere.

I have social phobia and low self-esteem so my chances of ever getting anywhere are so fucked up. I can't sleep and doctor won't give me any sleeping pills beside Restoril (temazepam) which doesn't work for me. I'm too anxious to go to school anymore and my doctor won't prescribe me Valium so if I go I'll freak out and panic all day. When I'm there I just want to die so bad cuz I hate it so much. I'm just sick of this life I want the pain to stop.

I agree I think I'm still depressed because of constant low-mood and suicidal thoughts. I just don't have much faith in psychiatry or anything anymore. I feel like my only cure would be death.

I was going to say the same thing: Do not pass GO and get a new doctor. I had a pdoc once who told me he didn't think I was depressed. My only regret is that I didn't switch pdocs sooner and tried to stay with him.

He was an idiot- but that's my case. If your doc is saying that its not depression because its "life stuff", if you are suicidal who cares where it comes from. Depression is depresion and needs to be treated.

Please- keep yourself safe, and if you feel you can't run to the nearest ER where they are required to take you seriously.

Hope you are feeling better.

What was his solution for you, if medication was not the way? I am aware that depression can be reactive, in that it is not purely chemical and random, more that it is related to what is going on in your life. It sounds like this is what you are experiencing. I think that your thoughts could be worked on in something like CBT, I suspect it would help with the anxiety too. Maybe you could look into this prospect?

I am sorry that school is such a horrible place for you. Being gay and young is hard, the world can be very cruel. Is there any way to change schools? Your feelings are your feelings, and they sound very justified, I don't think you could simply 'pull yourself together' and feel better. Obviously life is intolerable and you do have issues to tackle. As a teenager I had many doctors dismiss me as a moody teen. Maybe you could get someone close to you to come to your next appointment and reiterate how you are not functioning in life or that you are unhappy, and request some CBT or something.

I was really asking rhetorically what sucks so much, but getting things out is good too. Let me validate - You do have hardships. That does not mean you have no future though. Unfortunately, adolescence sucks. Sorry about that. On top of adolescence sucking, the MI stuff makes life harder, sorry about that too. You are not doomed because you have issues, things will jsut be a bit more difficult and you will need PROFESSIONAL HELP to sort your thoughts out. I will reiterate my whole "Get a new doc now" thing and add "Get a therapist now". A therapist can help you identify thoughts you have that aren't valid (I suck at everything) and teach you to identify the depression talking.

Since you are 16, you should get your parents or a parent involved. You need more help than you are getting currently. If your parents aren't willing/able to help, then at the very minimum you need good docs that will.

Archived