CrazyBoards.org

Just joined the Lamictal family- sick already!

OMG- I've only had my first 2 25mg doses of Lamictal and my stomach is so upset- I can't stay out of the bathroom and i'm soo nauseous! Someone please tell me this will pass!!?!!

also- anyone else overlapping lamictal with lithium? the idea is to eventually get the lamictal dose up and go off the lithium- wondering if others have done this.

OMG- I've only had my first 2 25mg doses of Lamictal and my stomach is so upset- I can't stay out of the bathroom and i'm soo nauseous! Someone please tell me this will pass!!?!!

also- anyone else overlapping lamictal with lithium? the idea is to eventually get the lamictal dose up and go off the lithium- wondering if others have done this.

I took them both at the same time for a while but I couldn't tolerate the lamictal. My doctor went through a phase of insisting I needed to get off lithium but I told him to stuff it....lithium is my friend. ;) Granted it's my sometimes temperamental and toxic friend, but I'm not into fixing what ain't broke. :)

I spent over 2 years on both lithium and lamictal. No problems taking them at the same time.

Sorry you are having such a bad stomach reaction. That's pretty unusual. The one thing to remember in titrating with lamictal is that it is NOT a race. Slower or lower is better if you are having problems. I recommend splitting that 25mg tab and take half 12.5mg for a few days till you can accomodate that.

Good luck. a.m.

Thanks for the responses. I 'm feeling worse as the day goes on but in different ways.

I'm so hot ( and I am ALWAYS cold), I feel really jazzed inside and a little trembly. I don't feel great aboout driving, so i've tried calling pretty much everyone i know. i have other chores around the house but i feel too jittery to do anything productive.

From reading what others have said- many seem to think its worth it to wade through the side effects and that its worth it on the other side- that it work well and the side effects lessen or stop.

please tell me this is true!! miserable and only day 2! ( AM I will check with pdoc about cutting them in half but they are a weird shape)

I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you about the side effects. But if you want another anecdote, I've been on both lamictal and lithium since January (started lithium while already on lamictal) and have not had any problems. I'd try to stick it out, too, if you can- but if you can't function at all or can't eat, call your doctor right away, ok? There's suffering with an end in sight and then there's just plain suffering.

the combo of lamictal and lithium worked rock solid for me while i was taking it. i just can't have lith anymore because it makes me dumber than a pile of rocks ;)

a couple of days isn't long enough to judge a med. in the hospital, people would be throwing up on new meds left and right, and their pdocs kept them on their meds, and the vomiting went away. but i know how you feel- effexor did that to me. i was so sick on that stuff. but it never went away, and i lost like 15 lbs before my pdoc took me off of it. a lot of people like it, but it was just toxic to me.

SO- see what the lamictal does. just take the titration easy and don't try to win the race, as AM said. i personally love the stuff and you couldn't rip it from my dead fingers. it has kept me from the grave with my dad i'm sure. hopefully, you'll like it too.

loon

I've been on lithium and lamictal together for almost 2 years. I'm generally happy with the combo. I went up to 300mg on the lamictal and that made me too tired so we decreased to 200mg/day. And I'm on 1200mg lithium/day. It works for me.

I agree with AirMarshall, halving the tablet and taking 12.5mg for the first few days might make a difference. Lamictal is a drug that really sucks in that you have to increase it slowly, mainly because of the dreaded rash, but the other symptoms to begin can be terrible as you know, but that's just the way it goes. It took 2.5 months to me to reach 200mg. I took it extra slow, and I can't remember why now. But, it might make it easier on your guts for a few days and let your body become accustomed to it before you increase it again. Taking it with lithium is fine. Get a pill cutter from the pharmacy if you don't have one. And if it gets any worse definitely call your psychiatrist. Until then look after yourself, rest, have a bath, eat well (if you can), and if you are vomitting make sure you are having plenty of fluids to re-hidrate, like gatorade or something similar.

All I can say, and have said in times past, is stick to it, stick to it, stick to it.

Lamictal is not a fun drug to titrate up on. I managed to climb up to my therapeutic dose (400mg) in 3 weeks, and it wasn't any fun. Despite the fact that my liver and kidneys are perfectly willing to dispatch anything that comes their way within 30 seconds.

Now, if you get up into about the 300mg range and stay stable at it and see absolutely no positive effect.... and are still experiencing the side effects, then it might be time to discuss w/your pdoc tapering down off of it and try another AC/MS.

thanks for the support everyone. i've now had 4 days of the lamictal and with a little help from some imodium I feel a lot better. Thanks.

Long term the plan is to get on the lamictal and off the lithim.

hey Loon- you posted the "dumber than a pile of rocks" a while ago didin't you? I was quoting it for weeks- the perfect description!!!

Almost every time I start a new med I get the same thing. Most times it goes away like other side effects sometimes do. But keep an eye on it as you titrate up. A certain stage of stress can upset your digestive tract, and with every increase in Lamicatal you get to be a whole new person ( in my experience) with different symptoms to go with it, es[pecially mood systems. I'm still wrestling with mine. I'm on what seems to be the lowest theraputic dose of Lamictal for me...175mg. Yeah, I know 175 seems pretty picky, but I have to be. Mania is poison to me resulting sometimes in pschotic episodes, plus I've also been suicidal in the past and VERY depressed for about 10 years off and on. But Lamictal has really inmproved all that so far so I really want to make it work for me even with the occasional rapid cycling. the side effect is better than I was at least for a change. Good luck with it. arriving at the right dosage for you can be hell, I know. But it's worth it for a lot of people who attribute a lot of good stuff to Lamictal.

• 2 years later...

I am on Lamicatal and Abilify. I am so glad you posted as my Psych Dr. told me to up my lamictal two days ago. For two days I was waking up in the middle of the night vomitting. Now I know why! It sucks. Is there any relief after my body gets used to it or what? I JUST STARTED THESE MEDS TWO WEEKS AGO....I was also just diagnosed with BPD I two weeks ago. All comments are welcome.

Thanks!

every time I titrate up, lamictal gives me a bastard headache, stomach ache and The Yawns (seriously, its huge, lion-like yawns, constantly). It passes after about a week

I have to second, third, etc the take.it.slow advice. Initially, I went up by 6.25mg because i rashed up instantly on 25mg (my pill-cutting skills are amazing, heh). I found it utterly worth the effort.

i probably dont have to remind you, but be careful with taking stomach meds - anything that lines your stomach can effect your medication absorption ;)

Im also finding the stupid is starting to fade, which is nice. The jitters are better if I take it in the morning, too.

every time I titrate up, lamictal gives me a bastard headache, stomach ache and The Yawns (seriously, its huge, lion-like yawns, constantly). It passes after about a week

I have to second, third, etc the take.it.slow advice. Initially, I went up by 6.25mg because i rashed up instantly on 25mg (my pill-cutting skills are amazing, heh). I found it utterly worth the effort.

i probably dont have to remind you, but be careful with taking stomach meds - anything that lines your stomach can effect your medication absorption ;)

Im also finding the stupid is starting to fade, which is nice. The jitters are better if I take it in the morning, too.

When you take your Lamictal, do you take them all at once or one in the morning and one at night? I am wondering if that would help with the vomitting. Also what is titrating? Moving up on meds?

When you take your Lamictal, do you take them all at once or one in the morning and one at night? I am wondering if that would help with the vomitting. Also what is titrating? Moving up on meds?

All at once, in the morning. Taking them at night stops me from sleeping, whereas taking it in the morning helps me wake up. You might get some relief, as it would mean less of a spike in your med levels.

It sounds kinda dumb, but have you tried sipping on peppermint tea or lemon juice in water? Both work wonders for my nausea.

Yep, it gets used around here to mean 'move up'. Whether it's grammatically correct, I dont know ;)

Archived