CrazyBoards.org

I've heard a lot that buspar pretty much only works when combined with an anti-depressant, I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success with it on it's own for anxiety? Or has anyone ever tried to combine it with a benzo? I'm currently taking Ativan and have tried Klonopin but it's still not enough, and I don't know if my dose just isn't high enough or if I should add something else.

Don't know if it was on its own or in combo- but I havn't really known anyone ( myself included) who found buspar helpful.

YOu may want to talk to pdoc about increasing dose of benzos, and/or adding something like seroquel which in low doses is calming, especially when combined with benzos. That is what I ended up doing, and for really stressful things (like I hate to fly) I just up the dose of both and make sure my husband takes charge of the tickets etc because i get pretty loopy but its worth it if i can go on vacation.

I've also heard some ssri's are goood for anxiety, and i'm sure would be better with a benzo added.

Thank you both for your replies. An SSRI or atypical AP aren't options for me due to bad past reactions. My problem is soley anxiety, it's frustrating but I think I should be able to get it under control without having to use those meds. I just think I probably don't have a high enough dosage of the benzos. Maybe I'm wrong...and so I thought if the buspar might work it would be an option. When my Dad had similar problems as me at my age he took 6mg of Ativan daily and I'm only on three...so maybe I just need a dosage increase, it's just my doctors aren't too amenable to that.

a lot of people with bad anxiety find that a longer acting benzo like klonopin is a good choice because you don't get the rebound anxiety like you do when other ware off every 4 hours. or maybe you will be more resonsive to a different benzo like xanax or valium.

also- before the atypical APs came out - i guess they were"typical"- i found mellaril in combo with benzos to work really well for me.

again just a though and my personal experience. good luck.

Archived