CrazyBoards.org

Mixing Benzos?

I've just switched from twice daily Klonopin to three times a day for Ativan. I've found that Ativan overall to be much more effective, but I find I really notice that it's shorter acting at night. On the odd day I actually have the chance to sleep in especially...I would normally sleep 10-12 hours which is hard because of the new Ativan schedule. Plus, I was only given 1mg of Ativan at night when I was taking 1mg of Klonopin and I don't think they are equal.

I'm wondering if you can combine the benzos? Could I for example stick to my 1mg 3x/day of the Ativan, but add a SMALL dose of a longer-acting benzo before bed to try and help with sleep? Maybe Serax or Klonopin (or even Valium which I've never tried)?

Thanks in advance!

I combined benzos for about a year. Xanax during the day and Klonopin at night. I think it's best for you to talk to your doc about something besides a benzo at night if you need something for sleep. If a benzo is the only thing that works of course let your pdoc know. And good sleep hygiene can't be overlooked.

Croix

There is such a thing as xanax-XR.

PI-sheet:

http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/download/uspi_xanax_xr.pdf

Thanks for trying to help, but I already know about Xanax XR. I'm not sure if it's available in Canada though. Sadly, my doctor doesn't want to try Xanax at all, says it's too addictive and potent. The Ativan generally works really well and I tolerate it well...I'm just wondering if maybe I should take it 4 times a day to ensure adequate coverage or mix it with a longer acting one. My problem is that during the week I only sleep about 3 hours/night max, so I'm up for a long time so I need coverage the ENTIRE time I'm up...but on the weekends I could easily sleep 12 hours/night so I also want coverage to get me through the night (hope that made sense).

For what it's worth, I've spent periods of time taking both ativan and valium. I've found that ativan is best for immediate relief of panic states, but pretty much does nothing when added to my nightly sleep meds. Valium's longer acting and gives me the extra nudge I sometimes need at night. I don't use it all the time, just in periods of high stress - which I'm experiencing at the moment.

Anyway, my pdoc's never had a problem prescribing both - although she does reckon that ativan is more addictive than valium. (I would have thought the other way round, but go figure) When do you next see your pdoc? Chat to him/her about this issue - you can't possibly survive indefinitely on 3 hrs of sleep a night. Ativan is so short acting that I honestly can't see how taking an extra one a day would make a major dent in your sleep pattern.

good luck

M

I have taken both Klonopin, Klonopin Wafers and Xanax.

The Xanax for me is good just much shorter acting about 3 hours.....

The Klonopin is great as well but lasts longer which is a better routine for me.

The Klonopin Wafters are EXCELLENT for panic attacks!! I was given the wafers at first when given Klonopin just to try and they too work about 6 hours but work within 2 minutes. They are melt tabs and melt on your tongue....

I have never taken them in a combo in one day's time...so I can't comment on that but I can say that I am sure it is ok to take them in a varying need depending on what is happening in your life....Go by what your doctor prescribed and why -- and if you don't see it working call him or her and explain what you are feeling.....

Archived