CrazyBoards.org

Hi, I think the gender options are a bit outdated.

I think it would be better if we could write a small description of our own gender.

Just male and female don't cut it anymore as it doesn't move beyond a binary notion what gender is. It also excludes intersex people, and transgender and transexual people who don't want to identify as male or female either. And I personally don't like the word "male" to describe my gender. The other option is "not telling". Well, in some cases it's more like I wish I could tell you but I can't due to a lack of gender options! I know some people on the board don't care whether they put in their gender or not, but personally I notice these things and think it's important for a board like this (that might have users experiencing problems associated with gender identification) to provide users a space to define and share their own description of their gender.

Now watch me put on my drag gear and sing some Streisand.

hehe well done.

For what it's worth I can see how you would think I'm getting confused between sex and gender. The personal information section asks for your input on "gender", not sex. I'm not sure what your take is, but I come from a background in sociology so I'm referring to the social construction of gender distinct to sex. Some still argue that gender is more synonymous with sex and is more biologically determined. Whereas I look at gender as the "story" one wants to tell about themselves that may or may not be in relation to their sex, allowing them define their own identity and role in society. It's also about challenging the binary notion of male and female, and the old ideas around gender, and allowing people to define their gender distinct of sex. But, I'm quite happy if people want to describe their *gender* as male of female too if they think the word suits them, and if you listen closely I think people do sometimes ie. "Im a male" which sometimes can ring more of gender than sex. It's leaving no boundaries for people to call themselves what they want. For example, in relation to sex I happen to have male sex organs, and I'm male in this sense, and although I have never tried it (and probably never will) they would work great with female sex organs to propagate, creating more humans. But, I don't exactly call myself a man (sometimes I do) or a woman, and not male, when referring to my sexual identity. I actually haven't found a word that is adequate. So maybe I'll have to make one up! But, then do we have to have one?

Anyhow that is my take. Not everyone agrees, which is coolies.

I vaguely remember being the one who requested such a field and inviting a flame war flurry of discussion that sounded just like this! ;)

FWIW... I agree that there should be more options than male or female (at least "other" would be nice), but obviously it's a software limitation, not a limitation of the minds and hearts (not to mention imaginations) of our admins!

*yawn*

Despite being 100% physiologically male (and certainly identifying as such), apparently I do have a few feminine qualities (as does, I suppose, every other male, and vice versa).

Before I trimmed my eyelashes last year, I would repeatedly be mistaken for a woman whenever I was clean-shaven. Strangely, anybody who's known me for more than a day can't believe how that'd happen.

(sidebar: I trimmed my eyelashes since they were long enough to cause severe glare while driving at night, as well as the fact that the hairs would crash into my eyeglasses when I was wearing such in lieu of contact lenses.)

Most of my best friends in secondary school were female, although most of my best friends in college were male (though that was more due to the fact that my college was gender-skewed 65/35 M/F).

In my only serious relationship ever (and yikes, we broke up 6 years ago!), the girl told me she was "amazed" at how "natural and good" I was when "dealing" with women.

Then much later, there was this hook-up, and apparently I was a little *too* "natural and good" with a particular slut... this is the indirect reason I'm a 23 year old virgin... and I'll end it at that with no further detail...

• 4 months later...

There are two new terms that came up in the dictionary.

Metrosexual Person

and an

Omnisexual Person.

This term is different from the other but I just don't have a grasp on the difference.

hehe well done.For what it's worth I can see how you would think I'm getting confused between sex and gender. The personal information section asks for your input on "gender", not sex. I'm not sure what your take is, but I come from a background in sociology so I'm referring to the social construction of gender distinct to sex. Some still argue that gender is more synonymous with sex and is more biologically determined. Whereas I look at gender as the "story" one wants to tell about themselves that may or may not be in relation to their sex, allowing them define their own identity and role in society. It's also about challenging the binary notion of male and female, and the old ideas around gender, and allowing people to define their gender distinct of sex. But, I'm quite happy if people want to describe their *gender* as male of female too if they think the word suits them, and if you listen closely I think people do sometimes ie. "Im a male" which sometimes can ring more of gender than sex. It's leaving no boundaries for people to call themselves what they want. For example, in relation to sex I happen to have male sex organs, and I'm male in this sense, and although I have never tried it (and probably never will) they would work great with female sex organs to propagate, creating more humans. But, I don't exactly call myself a man (sometimes I do) or a woman, and not male, when referring to my sexual identity. I actually haven't found a word that is adequate. So maybe I'll have to make one up! But, then do we have to have one?

Anyhow that is my take. Not everyone agrees, which is coolies.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Isn't there an EN_Lang file or directory somewhere? There might be a place to change it yourself, since boards can be multilingual, and have these language files laying around to plug in during the install. Most can be edited.

Archived