CrazyBoards.org

Zoloft - How have people done on it?

Wonderful medication for me while it lasted, although thinking about it, it probably didn't do much for my OCD at all, I was only on 50mg though. If it hadn't stopped working I probably would've wanted to stay on it forever.  ;)

Wonderful medication for me while it lasted, although thinking about it, it probably didn't do much for my OCD at all, I was only on 50mg though. If it hadn't stopped working I probably would've wanted to stay on it forever.

Speaking on behalf of myself and two others the sexual side effects were rather sucky.  To quote Margaret Cho  "I can cum when you fuck me!"  My best friend has OCD and he is going out of his mind cleaning this and that...even if it's already clean.  As for my other relative, he did really well on it.  He's no longer on it.  Doesn't need it anymore, and his sexual life is back in the swing of things.  Now I'm not on it anymore and if my Pdoc asked me if I wanted to go back on it, I don't know if I'd go on it again.  I don't have a boyfriend right now, so I guess it wouldn't bother me so much.  My libido is non-existant to begin with.  I also have an issue right now that I'm petrified to become sexually active again.  That's mainly because I've gained weight and because I'm scared that whatever guy I meet will take one look at me and either use me for sex or run for the hills.  So it's better this way, I guess.

*sighs*

I don't know whether this is a good thing for me or not.  I keep telling myself that it's a good thing, because mentally, I'm not ready to be in a relationship, but God, I want to be in one.  I hate being lonely and at times, I feel like I'm cursed to walk this planet all alone for the rest of my life.  Who would want a wacko for a girlfriend anyway?  You know what I mean?  Anyway, that's what I have to say about Zoloft.  I took it while I was married back in 1997.  Made my marriage suck and sex life suck.

I've been on Zoloft 100 mg a day in combination with Wellbutrin SR 150 mg a day for about 3 months now and haven't noticed improvement in that I still have a passive death wish and have been clenching my teeth even more.  Le sigh.

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I took my first 25mg dose yesterday, and, surprisingly, no unpleasant side effects.  So, I think I will go up to 50mg tomorrow. My pdoc has said that I can go up to 75mg, if need be.  Hopefully I will respond to the Zoloft.  It is discouraging because in the past I have used Paxil, and it worked extremely well for me.  Unfortunately, when I tried to go back on it, it didn't help at all.  So, it has been one trial after another, including Effexor (which made me very apathetic and apprehensive - always feeling on edge), Celexa, Anafranil (couldn't get up to a therapeutic dose), nortriptyline (not too bad, but felt lethargic, unmotivated and started gaining a bit too much weight which felt very uncomfortable).  So, I am now on Wellbutrin (for the past 5 weeks, currently at 200mg) and just started Zoloft (for anxiety).  Hopefully, this combo will work for me. 

Hi Dreamweaver,

My combo is also Zoloft and Wellbutrin. I started the Wellbutrin first and am at 450 mgs XL. The Zoloft was added a little later at 50 mgs.

Yay! It works. The sexual side effects are there but not insurmountable. Weight neutral. I'm not losing weight but I'm not gaining any more either. I'll take what I can get.

I hope it works for you, too.

Greeny

Zoloft worked for a year for me without any side effects whatsoever. I took 100 mg. Then I stopped for a while and when I went back on a small dose, 25 mg, and the side effects were CRAZY. felt like I was flying constantly, headaches, feeling faint and dizzy 24/7, and it did nothing for my depression. Now remember 25 mg is a very low dose and it's understandable it didn't do anything for my depression, but where did all the side effects come from? That scared me away from Zoloft.

It's worked pretty well for me so far for my anxiety. The sexual side effects have gotten better with time. My main complaint now is that it makes me sweat more. Other than that, thumbs up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kalessin,

Thanks.  That's too bad about the sweating  ;) How long have you been taking it, and what dose are you taking, if you don't mind my asking?  I had the sweating when I was on Effexor - really bad night sweats.  Plus, Effexor screwed up my cycle, so it was coming every two weeks.  That was a drag because I was severely iron deficient and was having a hard time responding to treatment.  I ended up being put on Depo Provera to deal with the problem, and had a really severe reaction to the Depo.  That stuff is ghastly!! 

Guest Guest_serena_*

I take 100mg of Zoloft daily.  The side effects at first were nasty... headache, dry mouth.  Now I just have the night sweats.  Every night I wake up soaked.  But the positive effects have been worth it.  No more looking into the "abyss"

It's worked pretty well for me so far for my anxiety. The sexual side effects have gotten better with time. My main complaint now is that it makes me sweat more. Other than that, thumbs up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kalessin,

Thanks.  That's too bad about the sweating  ;) How long have you been taking it, and what dose are you taking, if you don't mind my asking?  I had the sweating when I was on Effexor - really bad night sweats.  Plus, Effexor screwed up my cycle, so it was coming every two weeks.  That was a drag because I was severely iron deficient and was having a hard time responding to treatment.  I ended up being put on Depo Provera to deal with the problem, and had a really severe reaction to the Depo.  That stuff is ghastly!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take 100mg/day, and I've been taking it for about three months. When I first started taking it, I was starving all the time and couldn't orgasm. Now I'm pretty much back to normal. Haven't gained weight or anything. I do have anxiety from time to time, for which I take occasional benzos, but I find that if I exercise regularly  and intensely, the anxiety goes away.

I was taking Zoloft and Wellbutrin, but the Wellbutrin made me more anxious and screwed up my cycle, among other things.

Zoloft worked for a year for me without any side effects whatsoever. I took 100 mg. Then I stopped for a while and when I went back on a small dose, 25 mg, and the side effects were CRAZY. felt like I was flying constantly, headaches, feeling faint and dizzy 24/7, and it did nothing for my depression. Now remember 25 mg is a very low dose and it's understandable it didn't do anything for my depression, but where did all the side effects come from? That scared me away from Zoloft.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, hell. Then I'm not alone. ;)

I stopped taking Zoloft 4 days ago - after 8 months on it. I was at 150mg max, and tapered down from 150 - 100 - 50mg to get off it (over 3-4 weeks). 

Currently I also feel like I'm flying, have headaches, crying spells, very low periods of intense sadness, faint and dizzy. I get those crazy 'zaps', too - last night when I was listening in bed to music I had 3 zaps in a row and the music seemed to go out of tune for a seconds. Very odd, and scary. My vision is very 'wavy', and I feel quite 'odd'. It's hard to describe: sorry for the vague words and terms.

Helena - how long did these side effects take to fade? Hopefully only a week or so. I can't take a month or more of this. Indeed, I also felt the Zoloft did next to nothing for my depression. It's difficult to determine what one should ascribe to the drug and what is simply the result of time passing, changing objective conditions, etc., but I don't feel Zoloft did anything for the depression per se.

Any response? Thanks Helena.

I have been taking 100mg of Zoloft for about three months. The most immediate side-effect was the utter devastation of my libido, which had always been crazily high. It also had a sedating effect on me (this happens to less than 10% of all users.) My pdoc has me taking Zoloft at bedtime now, so the sedating effect actually helps me sleep. Night sweats have been minor, but I sleep with a fan blowing air across my body or I'd probably wake up sopping wet.

Pharmcogenetic testing is currently available to determine how a person is going to metabolize psychotropic medications, but the test is rarely used. So far it has only been applied in clinical studies and by patients how can foot the bill themselves, because insurance companies don't cover this expensive testing.

For more info: Psychiatric Times article - Jun 05

I had noticed that I had been clenching my teeth more, but I thought it was just because I was stressed out or something.  I basically have no symptoms except for sexy chronic diarrhea and weight loss.  The two probably go together so I am not going to complain.  It was working, except for this weekend when I constantly had the thought of finding a gun and shooting myself in the head running through my mind.  But I'm BP, and I think its a manic thing, so it probably doesn't have anything to do with the Zoloft.  We just upped it yesterday to 150 mg in the AM, so I'll see how it goes.  I like it.  Yea, Zoloft!  Boo, Wellbutrin.  Made me all hallucinate and paranoid and EPSy. Bleh.

Archived