CrazyBoards.org

any supplements for augmenting adderall?

Guest Guest_newbie73_*

Guest Guest_newbie73_*

so my new doc refuses to raise my adderall dosage and keeps trying to alter my other meds (abilify and lexapro for anxiety) instead of raising the stimulant dose. my reasoning for higher stimulants is internal vs external motivation. if im pressured by my bosses to do something, i'll do it just fine. if i have no pressure, i sit there and do nothing. there are lots of things i *want* to do, but i can't get past the thought, i just sit there motionless. it's worse without the abilify and lexapro, then my thoughts are everywhere, so it isn't an effect of those two.

his worry is a CNS meltdown which he says is rare but not unheard of. is this a valid concern? if it's a 1% chance, i'd make that bet. if any of you know of supplements that can augment adderall too ... that would be very helpful.

thanks,

- luis

The maximum recommended dose for ADHD is 40mg, so you are close to the that. For Narcolepsy it is 60mg.

Certainly it makes sense to minimize the use of stims, but I'm not clear whether the inertia problem is recent from the addition of the other meds.

I'm not familiar with the term adderall meltdown, maybe some one else with more experience in stims can comment.

a.m.

it isn't a supplement, but i use exercise, flax oil, the B complex vitamins, and regular sleep patterns to help with all of my mentally interesting-ness ;) . these are routine things you should do to manage.

penny century is awesome with her knowledge of supplements. i'd listen to her about those.

• 2 weeks later...

one of the best things I've taken to augment Adderall are magnesium tabs.... they help a ton: (1) with absorption rate and efficacy, and (2) with helping to inhibit tolerance build-up. There's some studies done on this.

Also, if you want to go a step up from natural supplements.... centrophenoxine is a big boost when taken with Adderall. It is a acetylcholine agonist of some sorts, and helps absorption efficacy of Adderall, and also due to being an ACH stimulating drug it will help out with the clearer thinking.

so my new doc refuses to raise my adderall dosage and keeps trying to alter my other meds (abilify and lexapro for anxiety) instead of raising the stimulant dose.

Keeping in mind that one person's "I feel anxious!" is another's "I'm almost awake!" Adderall isn't usually kind to people who suffer from anxiety. That in itself is a good reason to opt for a lower, not higher dose.

His worry is a CNS meltdown which he says is rare but not unheard of. is this a valid concern?

Maybe he's thinking of amphetamine psychosis, which is more usually associated with amphetamine abuse (and much higher doses).

Or, if he may be worried about triggering mood cycling in someone who could be subclinically bipolar. That would be a valid concern,

even if uncommon. I think that may be part of why Penny suggests a cautious trial of l-tyrosine, which has started cycling in some of

the people here with bipolar.

Augmenting.

First off, make sure you aren't drinking anything acidic (sodas, fruit juice) to wash down your Adderall. That just makes you lose more of it faster through your kidneys. I usually opt for coffee or tea, myself.

l-phenylalanine is also an option (precursor to l-tyrosine: let your body figure out what it needs from there) as long as you aren't avoiding that amino acid for metabolic reasons. There may be the same risk for triggering cycling as l-tyrosine.

If you are being treated for depression, Straterra/Edronax, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Norpramin, Vivactil, or even an MAOI could be

considered. HOWEVER, your doctor would likely have to discontinue the Adderall to start any of these and them slowly reintroduce it.

Adderall with any of these may be a viable combination, but also a potentially dangerous one.

Then there's the old standby, caffeine. It's available OTC in so many tasty varieties.

Exercise (which I really, really should be doing more of) also raises noradrenaline levels. It's generally considered the most beneficial

augment of all of them.

Get into a set sleep schedule that nets you enough sleep. Adderall doesn't work so well if you are tired.

hey newbie--I'm pretty new to adderall so don't have any suggestions, but listen to these guys- they know their stuff (and of course check whatever you start to do supplement-wise with your doc!). I hope you don't mind if I threadjack for just a teeny moment?

null0trooper, airmarshall, penny, etc- got a question for ya:

should I not take the 20mg 3x per day that my pdoc just prescribed yesterday? it adds up to 60mg and I'm taking it for depression/add...he didn't really give me any direction and I know people can build up tolorance so I'm now a little worried reading about how other people's doctors won't go above 30 or so for the most part.

(am also on wellbutrin xl 450mg and starting effexor--adderall doesn't make me speedy at all, infact I don't really notice a huge difference? I probably won't usually take the last 20mg dose in the evening unless I have a special reason, but still-- any input? I couldn't find much about higher dosages in the board search or a quick google)

thanks so much if anyone has any opinions on this..or guest-newbie, did your doctor ever say why he wouldn't go higher- just the cns meltdown? sorry for the threadjack, hope you don't mind!

meg

so my new doc refuses to raise my adderall dosage and keeps trying to alter my other meds (abilify and lexapro for anxiety) instead of raising the stimulant dose. my reasoning for higher stimulants is internal vs external motivation. if im pressured by my bosses to do something, i'll do it just fine. if i have no pressure, i sit there and do nothing. there are lots of things i *want* to do, but i can't get past the thought, i just sit there motionless. it's worse without the abilify and lexapro, then my thoughts are everywhere, so it isn't an effect of those two.

I'm sympathetic to that as that kind of thing is where I have the worst problems as well, but honestly doesn't sound like the kind of issue that stimulants are best at at fixing. Stimulants help a lot with attention span but not as much with stuff like switching tasks and getting off your ass in general. A stimulating antidepressant such as Strattera or Wellbutrin might help more with that side of things.

should I not take the 20mg 3x per day that my pdoc just prescribed yesterday? it adds up to 60mg and I'm taking it for depression/add...he didn't really give me any direction and I know people can build up tolorance so I'm now a little worried reading about how other people's doctors won't go above 30 or so for the most part.

I was taking 30 mgs twice a day, some thing as 60mgs a day is the max recommended dose. It's just a matter of how you divide it up.

If you have no problems with anxiety or other side effects, you have no reason to be worried. (Irony not intended) If it causes problems, quit taking it.

I was taking 30 mgs twice a day, some thing as 60mgs a day is the max recommended dose. It's just a matter of how you divide it up.

If you have no problems with anxiety or other side effects, you have no reason to be worried. (Irony not intended) If it causes problems, quit taking it.

thanks for the reassurance, VE-- as of yet my old side-effect is decrease appetite (which I'm fiiiiiine with, lol) so I guess I'll just experiment and see what the lowest dose that helps is, but it's good to know that my doctor isn't reccommending something that I shouldn't do..

oh shoot, gotta go (thanks newbie for letting me threadjack!)

meg

• 5 weeks later...

I'm Belgian so I don't take Adderall (wish they had it over here though) but Ritalin

How to augment Ritalin:

Ephedrine

Red bull

Caffeine pills

Plain old coffee

You might also consider:

Guarana/ginseng

the novel stimulant Provigil expensive though

Add Ritalin short acting to your Adderall

Prohormones/DHEA/Steroids

Certain bodybuilding weight loss supplements

Clenbuterol (this one is kinda dangerous)

Current rx's: Paxil Xanax Benadryl Melatonin Ritalin

Past: Risperdal (lobotomy in a pill!!!), Effexor, Ambien (ultimate knock out pill)

I'm Belgian so I don't take Adderall (wish they had it over here though) but Ritalin

Key word: Belgian.

You might also consider:

Guarana/ginseng

the novel stimulant Provigil expensive though

Add Ritalin short acting to your Adderall

Prohormones/DHEA/Steroids

Certain bodybuilding weight loss supplements

Clenbuterol (this one is kinda dangerous)

Outside of Belgium, steroids may be much harder to obtain and possibly illegal to possess. I don't know of any medical literature that would support their use for ADHD. I don't know of any supporting clenbuterol, DHEA, or prohormones for ADHD either.

Adderrall didn't do crap for me at 30, 60 or a 120mg. I kid you not.

I know a alka seltzer gold or a bit of Baking soda in water when you take your stims helps. Lowers the acidity of your system which excretes amphetimines faster. Be careful with it though, don't overdo as it can cause you a whole new set of trouble.

AxXiom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How to augment Ritalin:

Ephedrine

I haven't been here for a while. But, I must share something. This response bothers me A LOT. First of all, Ephedrine is, for the most part, banned in the US. For good reason-people have been getting cardiac problems-heart attacks, strokes, etc., and have died from this. And even if it were legal-it can potentially be VERY dangerous to mix any substances-supplements or whatever-with your prescription drugs.

I understand that it must be very frustrating because it feels like the meds aren't doing what they're supposed to, but you may want to find out about switching ADHD meds or the other meds you are on.

Please be careful, I'm sorry if I seem harsh, but taking too many stimulants at once can be dangerous, and also ineffective-you'll get the rush and energy boost, but the crash won't be very pleasant.

I haven't been here for a while. But, I must share something. This response bothers me A LOT. First of all, Ephedrine is, for the most part, banned in the US.

Ephedra has been pulled from supplements in the US because of a limited number of overhyped cases that the media pounced on during a slow news week.

Ephedrine was rescheduled - officially because of similar concerns (although deadlier meds like aspirin are still over-the-counter), but in reality because it can be used as a precursor to methamphetamine (using chemicals the DEA already watches like a hawk) or methcathinone (using chemicals that don't set off warning bells, and supposedly the stuff's crap anyway.)

I didn't respond to that particular bad suggestion because:

a) It's not likely to be fatal unless the person stupid enough to follow it exercises on a warm day

b) One Sudafed plus Wellbutrin and/or Adderall can be a damned unpleasant way to start your day. If you need a decongestant THAT BAD, you'll probably be seeing a doctor Real Soon. Said doctor will be Very Unhappy after seeing your blood pressure measurement.

really, I think that it can be agreed that the only way to really do something safely (such as augmenting adderall with something) is to do it with guidance from a doctor. Honestly, no matter what the supplement, you can never be too sure how something will mix with your current med cocktail. Granted, that is not the way people always work... I know that *I* have done and... well... yeah... well, either way, the safest thing to do is to run any ideas by your doctor and/or ask for advice as to the safest way to augment your meds.

I don't know. Maybe I make no sense. I am a little out of it... and not wearing my glasses, so I can't see the screen very well... blah...

~Ophelia~

I don't know. Maybe I make no sense. I am a little out of it... and not wearing my glasses, so I can't see the screen very well... blah...

~Ophelia~

It makes sense, and one can generally assume that people are taking their crazy meds with OTC preparations and/or the more common herbal nostrums... but that doesn't mean it's safe. T

Pharmacologic "synergy" is more often multiplicative than additive, so there may not be much leeway between an augmented dose and an overdose. Worse, by the time you know you're in trouble it's usually too late. That's one thing that makes heatstroke so dangerous - the person may "feel fine" up to the time they black out.

When the substances being combined have overlapping side effects, the risks/severity more than double. When the mutual "side effect" is heat stroke ( a medical emergency, ) the risk includes death even at otherwise nontoxic doses.

• 4 weeks later...

I've found Adderall to be VERY helpful for general motivation. Seems like these days 3 out of 4 evenings at home I occupy myself with something useful. (Unfortunately, that isn't even keeping up yet because I just moved.)

I've also found that vigorous exercise is easier and kind of activates the Adderall. So I'm suggesting 10 minutes of that in the morning. I'm pretty stupid in the morning a lot of times before I do this. Even without the Adderall, I used to find this useful if I had a meeting I needed to stay awake through.

• 1 year later...
Guest tamitharick

My physician started me out on 30mg of adderall per day, then raised it to 40mg. I started out slowly taking an extra pill every now and then and within a year, I was going through 60 20mg pills in a week and a half. BE CAREFUL! Just be sure the appropriate effect of the drug is what your after, and not a high. People who say it's impossible to be addicted to adderall have no idea what they are talking about. It snuck up on me, and I am still struggling with it. Just don't be stupid like I was!

Archived