CrazyBoards.org

Thinking of reducing meds on my own

I talked to my pdoc about reducing my meds. He said we'll talk about it at my next appointment, because he's going on vacation. But, I don't want to wait. I'm tired of feeling "medicated". Being tired all the time and gaining weight.

He added zyprexa because I was relapsing, but I'm okay now. He increased my abilify because I was having delusions, but I'm not seeing messages anymore. I still have trouble knowing what was real. The thoughts they call delusions are very real to me. But, I'm working on that in therapy. (And I feel like if they are real I'm just going to be medicated for no reason).

I guess I want someone to talk sense to me, or tell me how they experienced going down on meds on their own. I need meds to pull me out of psychosis, I just don't think I need so much if I'm stable.

I feel tired and unmotivated. I don't know how much is the meds and how much is me being lazy.

I want to stop the zyprexa and decrease the abilify.

I'm not advocating anyone to decrease, go off meds. Just what I'm thinking.

i understand the feeling. i've been on every med and med combo on the planet i think, and sometimes the meds and their side effects feel worse than the disorders they treat.

however, you know that it is unsafe to mess with any of your meds on your own. just because you're fine now doesn't mean you'd stay fine if you went off your meds or decreased them. the reason you aren't having delusions anymore is because of your meds.

zyprexa is a drug i love and hate. it made me eat everything in sight, but it worked so well on my symptoms. i couldn't take the side effects (including increasing blood sugar) so i stopped it, but it did work well.

how much do you take anyway?

did your pdoc leave any info about maybe a backup pdoc who can answer questions while s/he is on vacation? there has to be someone you can discuss this with. you don't want to go around feeling medicated, but you also want to stay safe. there's a line that only your pdoc can really help you navigate.

best of luck!

loon

zyprexa is a drug i love and hate. it made me eat everything in sight, but it worked so well on my symptoms. i couldn't take the side effects (including increasing blood sugar) so i stopped it, but it did work well.

how much do you take anyway?

I feel the same way about zyprexa. It helps with my symptoms, but I hate the side effects.

I take 10mg zyprexa, 30mg abilify, 300mg lamictal and 10mg lexapro. I'd like to try going off zyprexa and decreasing the abilify.

I just feel tired and unmotivated. I'm not sure what's me and what's the meds. And, it's hard for me to tell how the individual meds are working (except the lexapro-it's really helped me with anxiety attacks).

I had been satisfied with the combo because I haven't been having symptoms, but now I think I can feel better.

I think I'll stick it out and wait until I see my pdoc again. I just think it will take so long and I want to change things now.

I am not trying to put you on a downer, but you asked for honest experiences...

Last spring I decided to come off my meds, because I was tired of being fat and sedated with thinning hair, my mother was concerned about the effect on my body of all the meds I was taking, and I wanted out, basically. After about a month I was a total mess, very suicidal and it took months to find the right dosage of meds to impact my extremely low mood and psychotic symptoms. I have learned my lesson and would never pull a stunt like that again. When I feel stable, it is exactly the time to keep going with my meds because I know that they are working, coming off is pretty much the worst thing you can do. From what I know of psychiatric meds, most are ongoing maitenance meds, not things you take till you feel better and then quit.

I would warn you of coming off at all costs.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be proved wrong and for you not to be reliant on meds. I don't want to piss on your bonfire!

He added zyprexa because I was relapsing, but I'm okay now. He increased my abilify because I was having delusions, but I'm not seeing messages anymore. I still have trouble knowing what was real. The thoughts they call delusions are very real to me. But, I'm working on that in therapy. (And I feel like if they are real I'm just going to be medicated for no reason).

You do realize that you are probably OK now BECAUSE of the med increase, right? So you were relapsing, he added zyprexa, you're not relapsing anymore. Say thank you to zyprexa. You were having delusions, he increased your abilify, you're not having delusions - say thank you to abilify! Especially if you are still have problems telling what is real, decreasing meds would be a bad idea. Who's to say your symptoms wouldn't totally come back if meds were decreased? You're doc probably wants to see if the side effects lessen with time or something. Not saying he won't decrease some of your dosages, but really the only safe way to do this is under close supervision of a doctor.

That being said, you are totally normal in your feelings. Soooo classic - I feel like shit, I take meds, I feel better, VOILA! I don't need meds! (um, no. Meds are making you feel better. Stay on meds.)

Hang in there with the side effects until doc appt. Be a good patient.

I've got to say - in counterpoint to karuna and scatty - I've been off meds for a couple of months now, and I'm fine. However, I certainly wouldn't advocate doing it on your own. I discussed it with my psychiatrist and he saw me on a very regular basis for at least the first month to keep a check on how I was doing. I was feeling flat and tired etc too - luckily my psych. is pretty understanding and willing to treat me as a whole person, rather than just trying to treat the disease. Last time I came off all meds (about a year ago) I just stopped on my own: like you, just wanted out. That time (I'm thinking because of the lack of support, my situation was very different to how it is now) I started getting delusions and depersonalisation within a couple of weeks, something that had never happened to me before, so went back on drugs pretty quick-sharp!

Anyway, in my current rambly way, what I'm trying to say is I don't think it's a good idea to do this on your own. Hang in til your psych. gets back, state your case clearly to him, and see if you can start reducing one of the drugs under his supervision.

Good luck

xx

My psychiatrist and I have a understanding.....about this very matter.

I have only been living in the medication world since May 2004. She and I and my husband have discussed all medications I have ever been on and I have researched them very indepthly when put on something new. One positive thing for me is my husband and I are a team with my mental health...18 years married and since 2004 with a diagnosis.

She trusts me to know that I will *only* work with my medication IF I feel that it is something that I need to do and something that my husband is aware of especially if it is between 3 month visits with her. I always trust to tell my husband what I want to do and we discuss it as well as I research it to know the issues that could arise.

I am currently taking 300mg of Lamictal, 20mg of Prozac and have a script for 4mg of Klonopin 4x's a day and I am only using it to sleep and taking 2. My sleeping issues didn't begin until I started taking the Prozac and then it was a month or so into beginning it. I am suppose to be taking 400mg of Lamictal but 2 weeks ago I lowered it to 300mg on my own. I see her on the 15th and knew then I was seeing her then. I don't feel that I am getting the full potential from the Prozac at 20mg that I should be with the Lamictal at 400mg so I lowered it and honestly don't still feel I am so I called yesterday to see if she will consider increasing it before my visit so I can then walk in and tell her that - yes I am feeling MUCH better - OR - no I still don't think we are at the right combo...

~We will see what she says when she calls...I like to be ahead of the ball game instead of being 2 games behind when it comes to my medications so if I can lower the Lamictal on my own and have her increase the Prozac we then can see what happens 3 weeks before I go in.......

*I believe it is a personal communication between each person and their pdoc in adjustments of medications...

GOOD LUCK!

;)

• 4 weeks later...

I waited until my pdoc visit. I told him I want to taper down on the anti-psychotics because of weight gain. I'm not having the delusions like I was. He reduced the zyprexa from 10 mg to 5 mg. He doesn't think the abilify is effecting my weight. I try to watch what I eat, but my appetite has really increased.

I'm also taking citromax that my chiropracter sold me. My pdoc says it won't interfere with my meds. It's supposed to help with weight loss.

I'm on some of the same meds that you're on. I feel very stable and good (aside from a little spaciness). Ditto what everyone else has said. I'm glad you were able to see your doctor and talk about your options before making any major changes. Best wishes

I had been satisfied with the combo because I haven't been having symptoms, but now I think I can feel better.

Um, I'm not trying to be an ass, really I'm not, but think about that statement for a minute. Your combo has eliminated the symptoms... so why go off of them? I think that's a common reason for med non-compliance... "I feel good so I must be cured". Please don't fall into that trap. Do you really want to fall back into the delusions? I strongly urge you to continue on your regiment. You feel better. That means the drugs are working. As for weight gain, well, that's a struggle for a lot (most?) of us, but I don't think that's a good reason to risk your mental health over. Sanity is a good thing.

Um, I'm not trying to be an ass, really I'm not, but think about that statement for a minute. Your combo has eliminated the symptoms... so why go off of them? I think that's a common reason for med non-compliance... "I feel good so I must be cured". Please don't fall into that trap. Do you really want to fall back into the delusions? I strongly urge you to continue on your regiment. You feel better. That means the drugs are working. As for weight gain, well, that's a struggle for a lot (most?) of us, but I don't think that's a good reason to risk your mental health over. Sanity is a good thing.

What I was trying to say is that what was needed during an acute episode I'm not sure is necessary for maintainence. No, I don't want to fall back into delusional thinking.

I waited until my appointment and my pdoc agreed to reduce the zyprexa. I would rather go off it entirely, but I'm trusting his judgement.

Good job for trusting your pdoc!

I went off of Zyprexa with my pdoc's blessing, all at once. It made me sick and delusional just going off cold turkey. I told him how I felt, so he gave me some more Zyprexa, but by then I had gotten over the worst of it. Be careful that you feel okay and don't get withdrawl. I think it is a good idea, and obviuosly your pdoc does too, to taper off of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Good job for trusting your pdoc!

I went off of Zyprexa with my pdoc's blessing, all at once. It made me sick and delusional just going off cold turkey. I told him how I felt, so he gave me some more Zyprexa, but by then I had gotten over the worst of it. Be careful that you feel okay and don't get withdrawl. I think it is a good idea, and obviuosly your pdoc does too, to taper off of it.

It's going slower than I would hope, but so far so good. He reduced the zyprexa from 10 to 5mg for one month and now he's reduced it to 2.5mg. I'm not sure if I can go off it completely. Not only does it work as an anti-psychotic, but it helps me sleep. I was waking up in the middle of the night when I reduced it. It would save me money though if I didn't need it.

I am sick of being on meds, though. I wish I didn't need them.

That being said, I'm looking into a different med, naltrexone, for dissociation.

I know how you feel, I just am on abilify and wellbutrin right now, and I feel medicated already!!! and I just started the wellbutrin today, but then again..without meds, Iam pretty damn bad!! iha ve delusions, hallicunations, and voices..all in one, if i dont take my abilify, so Iam glad Iam on it, even though the anxiousness was drivin gme crazy..and I almost went off of abilify without my pdocs consent, or approval, but I didnt, I really feel you on the med thing, and Iam only on 2 drugs..

I also have dissociation, I really want to b eon something for it, but Iam limited bc Iam pregnant.

Well I hope you are doing better, and more comfortable now that he decreased your dosage, that you can stay on meds..

shana

Archived