CrazyBoards.org

I suck

resonance

I took a postcard I had tacked up with mounting putty and it pulled off an thick, inch-diameter chunk of paint with it. aggh. and I have more to take down and I can't remember how you get rid of the oily part.

There's already damage from scraping up the wall with the back of my chair which might be removable, I don't know, and staining from plants leaking onto the built-in wooden bookshelves and the windowsill.

They're not just going to keep all my deposit. They're going to be mad at me, too.

I mean, I know they are unlikely to call me up and make me feel small and ashamed over the phone. But I damaged the place.

i don't know if this would work- you could try using baking soda to gently scrub the stuff off. i'd just be concerned about gently scrubbing off paint with it.

could you paint over it? my solution to life's problems usually involves klonopin, duct tape, wire, and paint ;)

ps - i love The Last Unicorn and your quote from it! it is one of my favorite movies!

I think I'm going to need to get an adhesive remover, at least that's what the package says. I might be able to fix some of the stuff with spackle, although I don't know how ok they'd be with amateur home repair. I don't think I can do anything about the plant staining though.

I may take some klonopin in a bit.

Ya know, I think landlords would expect some wear'n'tear. If you're making reasonable attempts to fix it, that sounds fair to me. I've had problems with carpets that I won't go into in detail about (cringe),not something that I've ever had trouble with before..always been a house-proud neat freak. Just in the last couple of years, stopped caring(aka depression).

I know it's not easy, but don't beat yourself up about it. Could you sand back the shelves and re-varnish? Take a piece of the flaked-off paint for paint matching at the hardware store?

It's just sheetrock and paint res. Easily fixed, and as long as you don't have major damage most places are expecting a certain amount of wear. I'm sure the management will agree. And like bokworm said, please don't feel bad about it.

You should see what 2 kids have done to my house in just a few years.

I mean, I know they are unlikely to call me up and make me feel small and ashamed over the phone. But I damaged the place.

Yip. Being in rentals is no fun.

Lesson 1. Become Good at micro-fixes. Take a chip to the paint store and buy a match-pot of the nearest shade. Buy some filler and a putty knife. Buy a really really sharp pocket knife. Buy a slightly lower wattage light bulb.(That last trick is really Good!)

Lesson 2. Rent below what you can afford and make notes, note loudly and clearly how screwed up it is before you sign up.

Lesson 3. Rrrrellaxxxx!! You pay them rent, you don't have to give'em slices of your soul as well.

Dude. Can I tell you what I've done to my apt in the past 2 years? The carpeting is trashed. I never vaccuum so there is all kinds of ground in dirt and crap. I've dropped a hot iron on it twice leaving nice brown burn marks. I've kept a candle burning that dripped wax on the carpet, which I then tried to use said iron to get off, like you're supposed to for clothes I think. Didn't work and burned carpet again. I had this black lipgloss in the shape of a cat that got overturned on the carpet so now I have a cat shaped black spot in the middle of the room.

The walls: In a fit of manic energy I hung every picture or framed item I have on the walls. When I leave I will be spackling forever.

Don't feel bad. It happens to everyone.

Thanks, guys. I'm pretty sure in this town when you rent they do take a slice of your soul, but I'm not where most of the undergrads live so it should be a little better. (In my first apartment they made my boyfriend - who had been out of college for a year, gainfully employed during that time, and gainfully employed here - have his parents co-sign.)

Once I move my stand-up light out of the living room, where most of the damage is, it won't have any lights in it because it doesn't have a ceiling light.

I have spackle. I'm not sure it's the right shade of white, but I will check.

Ok. I should also check over the list of stuff that wasn't working when I moved in. There was a lot of minor stuff. Most of it got fixed, I think.

Fix what you can fix. For what's left, consider being proactive. Instead of waiting till the day you move out for them to find damage and blow up over, call them now, act humble and ask if they have the materials/tools for you to fix it or if they could. The fact that you fessed up in advance may buy you some points for honesty.

I've got similar problems in my townhouse as well.

a.m.

Archived