CrazyBoards.org

Question for Adderall Users

meg

Hey all-

I'm curious what dosage you all started out at (and what you're at now if it's different) and just generally how you felt/feel on it. Today is my first day and he started me with 20mg XR and umm..been more than a few hours and nothing? so I'm just wondering what everyone else's experience was like at first. (yes, I know that everyone is different, blahblah ;) , I'm just the kind of person who researches obsessively before I take a new med)

Thanks,

meg

ps- he tried Focalin first 10mg and 20mg and it made me soooo tired, zombified, dull...bleh. I convinced him to let me try something else and here I am with my little orange maracas.

if i remember right, i started out at 15mg and now i'm on 30mg.

adderall never made me feel any different, so i mistook that for it not working. however, i began to notice that i was finishing what i started and actually engaging in conversations lasting longer than a few minutes, and could read a book straight through without needing to stop and do something else.

other people notice it more than i do. everyone comments about how i seem so alert and bright, and attentive. this is a drastic improvement from the "medicated" comments i was getting before.

i think my whole cocktail works wonders for me, but my pdoc said that surprisingly, he believes that both lamictal and adderall are tied for being my most important meds. i never would have thought that about adderall, i guess because i don't see the results as much as other people do.

i know i'm a much safer driver. pedestrians no longer have to get off the sidewalk ;)

20 of adderall XR is not a lot but it is the normal starting dose. Since you had an odd reaction to focalin he's probobly starting you low.

I ended up taking 30 of the short acting twice a day.

If you don't have insurance, the standard stuff is available in a generic btw.

i take XR, so the time release stuff. my pdoc said the highest i guess "approved" dose is 40, and the highest he will personally give anyone is 30.

it seems there are a number of differences between the IR and XR versions. i'm assuming you take XR like me. 20 is fine.

I started out taking 10mg three times a day. (Adderall IR)

Then they bumped it up to 15mg three times a day about two weeks later.

After a month of being at 15mg three times a day they put me on 20mgs three times daily.

I've been on that dose schedule for about 8 years now and it's what works best for me.

Keep in mind it's the instant release kind.

The main thing that it helps me with is keeping me on task and able to finish things.

I don't really "feel" anything. Just more focus.

(I'm cheating a little bit-- I copy/pasted part of my MILE-long update in my post on the depression board here because you all don't need to read all of that when the concern of this post is the Adderall. I hope that's okay with everybody, let me know if it's not--am on a tight schedule and I really wanted to let you know how it was going but gotta go) thanks! meg

• RE: the new Adderall script

• pleasantly surprised. It's only day 4 (haven't taken it yet this morning, so this is taking a really long time to write since I have to wrangle my brain in every few moments) and although I still don't feel different at all when I take it and am certainly not zippy- I have noticed a difference in the way that I'm functioning, for instance:

• I sat in my Digital class and worked straight through the studio time. I actually got things DONE, I'm way ahead on my next project compared to where I'd normally be because I was able to use the class time as well as everyone else.
      • I finally was able to calm my thoughts enough to get things DONE, one at a time, and done..did I mention that I got things DONE?

• disability appointment made, haircut (yay!) appointment made, LAUNDRY DONE!! I didn't have to drag myself to do it- I just DID it plain and simple (it's been weeks and weeks, ew) and did I mention that I layed it all out flat so it doesn't wrinkle too?, returned parents phone calls, layed out everything that I needed for the makeup job in the afternoon so I could grab it and run (I didn't forget one thing!), and so on.

[*]the only concern: I don't want to burn myself out physically now that I can function mentally, you know?

• I have class every day, homework, and then am spending about 8 hours a night backstage working hair/makeup and standing and running around the whole time...I won't even be home until past midnight tonight, same tomorrow, same the next day, etc.
  • I keep on forgetting to eat. Day 2 of Adderall and I had a Slimfast shake in the morning (6am)--that's IT except for lots of water and gatoraide. Next thing I knew it was midnight and I'm hearing the cast complain about how hungry they all are after rehearsal and it occurs to me that I completely forgot to eat. As someone who could stand (and love) to lose a substantial amount of weight, this is both good (I haven't binge eaten in the past 3 days, or eaten out of boredom, or wandered into the kitchen every hour or so) and bad (not eating=starvation mode=gaining weight, it also completely wipes out my body even though I don't tend to feel it until the next morning).

[*]I lied, I have another concern ;)

• I hate that I have to think this, but I'm a little bit worried that I've been *too* happy the past few days? I don't know if this is what I'm supposed to feel like normally since it's been years since I wasn't depressed, and I've never been clearheaded (aka: brain calmed down from the ADD which I now admit that I think that I probably have). I don't want to get too attached to feeling like this because I don't know if it's the adderall, or things that have been going on in my life, or a combination. I guess we'll see, huh?

meg

these symptoms seem normal for adderall takers. i forget to eat all the time, and when i do, my body burns it right up.

i focus and get things done. there is no more spacing and daydreaming life away- i write my list and the things get checked off, one by one. (i operate mainly by lists, btw).

my pdoc said the adderall may make me a bit happier than usual, so judging by what he said, that wouldn't be an uncommon response. it makes sense.

i take the xr kind at 30mg as i said.

these symptoms seem normal for adderall takers. i forget to eat all the time, and when i do, my body burns it right up.

i focus and get things done. there is no more spacing and daydreaming life away- i write my list and the things get checked off, one by one. (i operate mainly by lists, btw).

my pdoc said the adderall may make me a bit happier than usual, so judging by what he said, that wouldn't be an uncommon response. it makes sense.

thanks loon,

I thought it sounded like what should be happening, good ;) I live by my lists too (and as you can see I even write better in list format, lol) but keeping track of the lists seems to have been easier lately.

((am just kindof thinking things out in writing right now by the way, not asking any specific questions))

I think that I'm going to have the doctor keep me at this dosage if I stay the way I have been these past few days--I'd also be curious to try the regular rather than XR so I could have a little more control over how much I take and when-- it seems like it'd be worth a shot since some days I only have one class in the morning and something faster acting would help- or when I have class all day and have to work in the evening, I'd prefer to not have to choose which one I'll be able to concentrate at since the XR doesn't last quite that long and it would be stupid to take a second one. Annnnyway, will discuss it with the pdoc on Monday, thanks for all the help everybody!

meg

• 3 months later...

Bumping yet another thread ;)

Today is my second day on Adderall XR 20mg. Yesterday, I took it at 8am, got up right away, was a little speedy for two hours (got a whole lot done but felt like the stereotypical suburban mom - of which I'm neither suburban nor a mome - who uses her kid's stash... then had a mini-crash but was able to keep going with good focus. I had another mini-crash around 2pm and then a HUGE crash around 5pm. (I thought "XR" meant it would wear off gradually - oops). Overall, a HUGE improvement over dexedrine.

Today, I took all my meds at 8am, went back to sleep until 10, forced myself to get up. Once I was up, I felt a bit like I was on autopilot - got things done, but kind of by rote, not much thought. Still a big improvement. Thing is, this time the BIG CRASH came between 11:30 and noon. WTF? I know I'm an ultra-rapid metabolizer, but that seems ridiculous. Forcing myself to eat kept me from completely falling asleep, but I'm still bone-tired and would rather sleep all afternoon (from exhaustion, not depression) than try and accomplish anything.

I didn't do anything physically (or mentally) exerting this morning and not much yesterday, either (a little mental exertion, as I'm trying to reconnect the intelligence synapses in my brain).

Pdoc has me going up 5mg a day until I hit my sweet spot, but it freaks me out that a moderate dose wears off so quickly. IR isn't available at all in Canada (XR was *just* allowed back on the market after being pulled off). Unlike Cymbalta, it's not something I can cross the border and get. I'm on the 14-day free trial, so I can't take a booster dose; I have to have enough to get through till my next appt on Tuesday.

So I guess my question is - WTF? Has anyone else ever experienced this fast a crash? I love it when it's working - it's absolutely brilliant and just makes me feel like *me* again (except I'm still don't have all my smarts back). But holy shit... I've read about "the crash" but people generally talk about sometime in the afternoon...

Thoughts?

Archived