CrazyBoards.org

Questions about my first pdoc visit

So, he gave me a label of bipolar and sent me home with a prescription for Duralith. It was only 30-45 minutes. Afterwards I didn't feel the sense of relief I thought I would. I was a little peeved that he could give me a label and a number (a GAF score of 65) after a 30-45 minute meeting when I have been agonizing about this for so long. It seems too neat and tidy and definitive for such a messy problem. Granted, I did have pages of material laying everything out. I am going back in 2 weeks too.

I have a few questions. Is that GAF score supposed to represent me right now? What are the most important things to know about being on Lithium? (drink lots of water, etc)

Hi NC - I'm afraid I can't help with the GAF score (don't even know what that is! perhaps a cultural difference) or the lithium, never having been on it, but just wanted to reassure you that 30-45mins is not an unusually short appointment. I can't remember how long mine was when I was diagnosed, but it certainly wasn't longer than that - probably shorter, but then I had a long history of depression and was blatantly manic....so it was pretty obvious to all and sundry what the diagnosis should be!

Anyway, it's good that you've got a follow-up appointment in a couple of weeks. Good luck with the lithium!

xx

Here is a Wikipedia article on Global Assessment of Functioning, which mental health professionals use to tell how well a person is functioning, your score category is defined as: 'Some mild symptoms OR some difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning, but generally functioning pretty well, has some meaningful interpersonal relationships.' That might piss you off because you might not feel it reflects the severity of what is going on, or you might take it as a good thing that you are doing so well, depends on how you want to interpret that. I'd just dismiss it as pyschiatrist number crunching myself!

This is the Mind website for UK and European users, it's a website that I trust, I couldn't find anything I was sure was reputable under 'Duralith' or 'Lithium on google, and I'm wary of getting med advice from Wikipedia! You could also try the med subforums lower down our homepage or search on 'Lithium' for more information. I have never been on it, so I can't tell you much. To be honest I am disgusted that your pdoc has sent you away with a new med and no info about it, it's pretty shocking really.

Careful with too much water on lithium. I think that is what sent my hr plummeting.

It is a bit odd that he gave you a script w/o telling you anything about the drug. At least you are going back in 2 weeks. Make sure to ask all the questions, maybe he is just one of those docs who need to be told to do their jobs. Or he assumes you know or don't care? Dunno. And the appt was the first of what will be many I am sure, it is by no means a neat solution. Just a first step.

Glad you went to the doc and got a script!

When I was diagnoses back in 2004 I can say that I spent a hour and a half with my psychiatrist. My husband went with me which I felt was very important.

I had read enough on mental illness literally to diagnose myself but wanted to hear it come from a professional which I did. When it was time for her to tell me what she felt my husband said "tell her what you think" and so I told her what I thought and she said.....yes BP, BPD, Anxiety with a touch of OCD..............and...............Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which I didn't even realize is what triggered my 'outing' of my mental illness.

It sounds that although it was a short session....in comparrison to mine....that it was thorough and the decision for medication was in order. My suggestion is you do as much research on the medication you can so that you know exactly what you are up against for side effects and how to maintain the medication in your system. It is good you are going back so quickly then you will be able talk again and discuss how you are feeling as well as see exactly where he wants this to take you.

Hang in there with any side effects - they are natural. You might want to "journal" how you are feeling especially in the beginning just so you can see how you feel you are doing and be able to take it with you...

Good Luck!

;)

30 minutes is kinda short for an initial visit...45, not so bad. Mine was an hour. Appointments now are 30 min, unl;ess something is like off--and sometimes, he will run over--he's pretty thorough.

Lithium? Well yeah, water--some say 3 liters but I've rwead that it's an extra 3 liters--i.e., the recommended 8-8 oz glasses a day (which I've also read may be too high, but whatever) which is a half gallon plus the 3 liters, or nearly a gallon. I think maybe it won't matter a lot, should vary according to the amount of lith taken.

Since lithium is a salt, it will displace the sodium in your body, and thusly you need to increase your salt intake--hell, all your electrolytes. Gatorade anyone?

Do read the suggested resources, they contain MUCH more information than any of us can concisely give. We can always try to clarify specific points.

And finally: indeed, while the first visit may have seemed nice and tidy, you should see, in future visits, that the doc will try to elicit deeper info about you, and keep close track of your moods to see how well meds are working and what adjustments need to be made.

Well, right now I am really good. I was a little whacked out recently on Paxil but generally I do function pretty well. I think the only reason I was able to go in and talk to him was that I am doing really well. I feel like that score does accurately reflect how I am right now.

The visit was only scheduled for 30 minutes. I think we ran at least 15 minutes over though. But still it seems short. I thought they would have to see me many times. He actually sort of wrote me off at first. I said depression for 10 years and he said "oh, was it like a day or 2?" After a couple things that must have meant something much more profound to him than they did to me he seemed to be really paying attention. I mean desperately suicidal means the same thing to everyone but the other side was confusing me.

I guess it bugged me that he could be so very certain so quickly while I was so confused.

Oh and I think the Duralith is just the canadian branding.

According to crazymeds.us

"Who Makes lithium: GlaxoSmithKline (Eskalith, Quilonum) Solvay Pharmaceuticals (Lithobid) Roxane (Citrate Syrup, Generic) Janssen-Ortho (Duraltih)"

Archived