CrazyBoards.org

I'm wondering what medicinal treatments are usually used for BPD? I've heard that DBT is really effective in terms of therapy, but have yet to find a therapist who offers it. I'm really frustrated, I have been diagnosed with BPD but I have been fighting the diagnosis tooth and nail because I've heard so many people (especially doctors) treat you badly once you've been given that diagnosis (i.e. just see you as manipulative). Now I've got doctors disagreeing as to what is actually wrong with me, with some still saying BPD and others saying simply severe anxiety.

The problem is, while I agree I have severe anxiety, my "anxiety" attacks are not like panic attacks, but rather severe outbursts of anger and frustration that can really only be described as an "adult temper-tantrum" I also can't stand being left alone or "abandoned" when I feel like that. That to me sounds like BPD.

I'm currently only being treated with benzos because I have had serious negative reactions to SSRIs in the past, and I can't bring myself to take an AP due to the negative side effects and my persistent and constant health worries and weight issues. Can benzos (to control anxiety) combined with good therapy be enough to help someone who has BPD? Does anyone know if DBT is widely offered in Canada?

Thanks

hi greengal,

there is a post over here where some people talk about what medication they are on for borderline.

as for benzos, they are actually often a very bad idea for borderline because they make you less inhibited and more likely to give into impulses.

dbt is great. i don't know about canada though, but i just wanted to say dbt is amazing and saved my life.

i too was scared shitless of antipsychotics because i had a bad round with zyprexa and weight gain. my doctor finally convinced me to take a small (5 mg) dose of abilify and i absolutley love it. it has really lowered my anxiety, made me less impulsive and less angry. and i've had no weight gain at all and it's been a few months now. i'm not saying you should go on abilify, i just wanted to let you know that there is an AP out there that doesn't cause weight gain.

best,

penny

DBT was amazing for me. I still use a lot of the skills.

As far as meds go, Seroquel helped with my PTSD more than the BPD. Topamax worked well to even out the mood swings I got with the BPD. I was not manic in any way, shape or form. OK... that one time, but it was drug induced by the Zoloft.

I find that a mood stabilizer/AD combo has worked for me, but my symptoms were mood swings rather than temper style problems. I also do DBT and psychotherapy, both of which have been very beneficial for me. I can't a see a benzo being much help, Penny has mentioned that they can lower inhibitions and I view them as a sort of medical sticking plaster, they can mask stuff for a while but they don't actually address the problem for many people. JMO.

Thank you guys for the information. One thing with me and the benzos is that generally I don't tend to be impulsive...maybe I'm in denial but most people describe me as the least impulsive person they know. The only time I get even remotely impulsive is when I'm having one of my "attacks" and even then it's just a lot of screaming, yelling and running around. I've hit my fiance a few times and things like that, but on a day-to-day basis I'm not at all impulsive. And I just feel like there aren't any other options for me because the rest of the meds all carry side effects I don't want to chance...maybe that's screwed up?

benzos are linked to memory loss.

every med has a side effect.

you have to weigh the risks and the benifits.

there was a time when i was really at risk because i was involving in so much risk-taking behavior and SI. but i refused any AP because of the diabetes risk. now i wonder how many broken glasses and fights and pain could have been avoided if i'd had more help.

i'm not pushing meds. just realize that they can really help with symptom relief and not all meds have super evil side effects. not all anticonvulsants mess with memory. not all APs cause weight gain. not all antidepressants cause a loss of sex drive.

when i said increases inhibition i meant more like they can potentally make it more likely that you will melt into a temper tantrum or SI. i didn't mean impulsive on a day-to-day basis. you can think out every decision in your life quite rationally and then flip on a coin and freak out. sometimes benzos make those freak outs worse and harder to control.

Archived