CrazyBoards.org

Mentally ill die 25 years earlier, on average

"Adults with serious mental illness treated in public systems die about 25 years earlier than Americans overall, a gap that's widened since the early '90s when major mental disorders cut life spans by 10 to 15 years, according to a report due Monday."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-0...l-illness_N.htm

I'm surprised they don't list suicide as a factor.

Looks like they took that in to account, but are commenting on other reasons they die earlier...like overall crappy care.

Although the mentally ill have high accident and suicide rates, about 3 out of 5 die from mostly preventable diseases, he says

Looks like they took that in to account, but are commenting on other reasons they die earlier...like overall crappy care.

Although the mentally ill have high accident and suicide rates, about 3 out of 5 die from mostly preventable diseases, he says

Thank you. I don't know what happened to my reading comprehension.

I read that the average person with bipolar loses the equivalent of NINE years of productivity. I want my nine years back!

LOL supergwen ;)

What went through my mind when i read this is "oh good, I wish and hope it's true", it means that I dont have to worry about being old and with no house and no savings and no longer able to work. I'd rather die than be old and poor, as if yr life has been a failure.

Archived