CrazyBoards.org

picking open wounds

Hey All,

I felt this was the best place to put this, because i feel as if it is a "self injury." but if this is not the right place, let me know and I'll just put it on my thread.

my whole life i have picked scabs, to the point where there are little scars all over my body.

I get a lot of insect bites. I guess I have good blood. and I would have to shower in DEET not to get bites. I get bites wherever I am....ant, mosquito, you name it, and it will bite me.

so, what do i do w/ all these bites? pick them. and it feels really really good.

the problem is right now i have an open wound from one of these bites on my left ankle. and its probably 1/2 inch long, and same wide. and its not healing. its all yellowish-greenish.and there is redness circling it that is about 2 inches in diameter.  it probably doesnt help that i keep putting rubbing alcohol on it. and its past the burning point. when i put alcohol on it, it doesnt burn anymore. i've had this for several weeks. I told my pdoc about it a couple of weeks ago, and he was non-chalant, "oh, it will heal." but its not, and i think its because i keep messing with it. but i cant stop. i'm picking at this thing ALL THE TIME.

i dont know what to do, but at the same time, i dont want to do anything. but i know this is not a healthy thing for my body.

deeply distressed,

december

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listen here December

I pick at wounds all the time.  I am forever scratching and picking and squeezing zits too....I think it is a cross between the pain and the need to do it - like an addiction.  So you are not alone ok?

H

I pick open wounds to oblivion!  Wounds that would have been sure to heal without leaving a mark, turn into dark scars.  I can't get myself to stop this habit.... that and picking my cuticles until they bleed.

so, december, I am here to say as well that you are not alone...

take care of yourself,

~Ophelia

DB!!!

You know I do it too. Just take care of the infection, k?

I have to say that now that I have one of those professional zit extraction tools, getting rid of those buggers is sooo much more rewarding.

And I ahve alot for my age- must be the meds and sunscreen products.

Ha!  I cut myself with a razor blade and then pour Whiskey into it (I keep a glass under my arm to get any left overs).  When it attampts to heal I get another razor blade and cut down the scar.  When that fixes itself I do it again.............and again...........and again!

I eventually tape it up.

Guest Guest

Hi,

I just pick what nature gives me. I dont start it...ie the insect bites. My parents just gave me really great blood or something.

I just keep it going.

although, i do pick my cuticles but that has a definite starting point. when i was about 8 i had these little warts on a couple of my fingers. The doctor didnt want to do anything since they were so small. so....i picked at them. and thats when i started picking my cuticles.

no more warts.

today has been a day, i've already picked 2 diff cuticles to the bleeding point....but i'll save the story for springer.

love,

december

Dear DB,

Well, it's clearly infected. One thing you could try (and it feels good) is soaking the area in very warm (almost hot) salt water. This helps dry up the infection. But you have to do it often, ideally a few times a day, and it will take a couple of days to work. In between, keep it covered with some bacitracin on it. Alcohol isn't the best choice for this particular problem, IMHO.

If it doesn't start getting better, or if the red starts to be a line moving out of the circular area, see your gp right away. That is a sign of a bad infection.

I pick scabs and tear my cuticles off all the time. My tdoc doesn't give me a break. It's all self injury to him.

I hope your ankle gets better soon. Take care of it, and keep an eye on it. Worst case, you need a short course of antibiotics.

Elaine

DB,

try using some neosporin on it... and keep it covered so that it will help with the urges to pick at it.... good luck

Elaine,

my doc doesnt even know about it.... don't really know what he would say about it....

I am the QUEEN of picking at scabs and zits and bug bites *Elizabeth walks outside and the dinner bell rings and all the bugs come a flying for dinner*!  It's horrible!  I'll go upstairs to the bathroom and then come back downstairs and I'll have a ton of huge red spots all over my face.  If anyone is around, they'll be like, what the fuck???  There wasn't anything on your face when you went upstairs!  I'll argue until my face turns blue.  As for the scabs or my lovely SI marks on my arms, as soon as they turn to scabs, I pick and pick and pick.  My mother tells me that this is a lovely trait that runs in the family.  Which I have noticed with my sister and also with my mother and her twin sister.  My mother and aunt have a habit of picking at age spots.  My grandmother, used to do the same damn thing.  Guess we like to pick.  But since I have a habit of hurting myself, I'm a different case and target my picking for pleasure more than just picking for the hell of it.  I also do things like tweezing and waxing for the pain.  Also because I can't stand the little fucking hairs that piss me off that grow under my chin and above my upper lip thanks to my hormones being all messed up.

Oh the joys of growing up!  I hate being almost 33 and having these stupid thick gross hairs growing out of my face.  I wish I could afford whatever it is these celebrities do to get rid of their facial hairs.  I would do it in a heartbeat!  Then that would deprive me of my tweezing.

Elizabeth

I wish I could afford whatever it is these celebrities do to get rid of their facial hairs.  I would do it in a heartbeat!  Then that would deprive me of my tweezing.

Elizabeth

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean laser hair removal? I actually had that and it was really painful, and it wasn't just the one session--more like twelve, if I recall correctly. The first time, it felt like my hairs were being pulled out one by one, and blood was coming out where the follicle had been. I remember reading in a National Geographic article about skin that the sensation of wetness is really a sensation of cold plus a sensation of pressure. That's why a hand wearing an intact rubber glove still feels wet when dipped in water, at least if you close your eyes. At the time, I told myself that's what it was. In any case, I know it wasn't blood.

With my Britishly pale skin and dark brown facial hair, I was an ideal textbook candidate for this (the laser targets melanin). Only one problem: autistic tactile defensiveness. My mother remembers the looks on the faces of the other people in the waiting area hearing me scream my head off.

Oh, and if you pull out or otherwise mess with the hairs after they've been lasered such that it comes out before its time, it will grow back.

You or somebody would have to shave you beforehand, or else the laser would go after the exposed hair instead of what's underneath the skin. When I'd forget to shave first, the doctor would get out a razor so I could do it right in her office. When you shave your face, don't shave opposite the direction the hair's growing, especially with the upper lip (I had a sixteen-year-old boy's moustache). I learned that the hard way (nothing graphic), trying to do that before we thought of having it lasered. Mostly because it hadn't occurred to either of us to ask my dad (the women in my Mom's family never had this problem).

I still have a few hairs on my chin and I am not going through that crap again just to get them off.

I pick at zits, but it's more of a short term degunking than anything else.

StrungOutOnLife

*whose parents are having her see an endocrinologist to find out why I still get this crap on birth control pills*

I'd still do it!  But I doubt Medicare or Welfare would cover the costs!  So, my tweezing will just have to keep working until I get so pissed off I shave the skin off my face.  Problem is, being a redhead, no one sees the hair but me.  What comes in is white blonde hair.  But it's a thick as...excuse the expression, PUBIC hair!  God!  Like I want pubic hair on my face.  I won't shave my face just because that would be inviting a whole face full of those evil fuckers!  So I tweeze the ones that keep coming back week after week and hope and pray that I yank so hard that they never return.  HA!  I make myself laugh!

And my therapist tells me that I should look in the mirror every day and tell myself I'm beautiful.  Yeah, bite me!  I'm so fucking beautiful I make myself wanna throw up!

Elizabeth

Hi All,

Last night I went to the drug store and bought some neosporin. this would be the first time I have used any on the wound on my ankle.

I do try to cover it up with a band-aid so I wont pick at it. The problem is then all day, I'm pulling the band-aid off just to see what it looks like. and then the picking starts all over.

anyway, I'm doing the neosporin thing and we'll see what happens. hopefully it will heal.

Thank you & Happy 4th!!!

december

it will heal DB. no worries, k?

And Im a hair tweezer/waxer, too.

I let my bikini line grow in for awhile beofre going to get it ripped off for extra pain. But its funny- I dont really feel it.

Hi DB, the neosporin is good stuff. Keep using it. If you just have to take the band-aid off and inspect/pick at it, wash your hands first, put more neosporin on it and new band-aid. I have very sensitive, bumpy skin. I have been a picker/scratcher/squeezer my whole life. My favorite tools are tweezers and a saftey pin. I have poked and picked freckles and moles. I secretly love this and most anything gross(skin-related). It is kind of nice that there are others. But I have a question- Is this kind of behavior considered SI? When i feel bad I envision cutting, I awnt to see the blood, feel the pain that is not in my head, but instead I'll just pick more, harder,deeper. I pick every day, even when I feel good. Never talked about this before, sorry to run on... SP

DB,

I'm glad you went out and got the neosporin.  I know it's hard, and I'm being semi-hypocritical, but try to make a conscious effort not to touch it.... that means no checking under the bandaid as well unless you are doing it to put more neosporin and a new bandaid on it.  Just try it, that's all I'm asking ;)   Let us know in a few days how it's healing!

Others who have been talking about hair removal, lol

why not try using a depilatory cream, especially if it is an upper-lip issue?

Hi All,

Spinach - I dont know if picking is considered "SI" or not. That's why I started this thread with this same question. I am guessing its SI, since I am preventing my body from healing - that I am self injuring myself beyond what nature created.

Most of today I had a band-aid on the ankle....I was in a park and also wearing bug repellant. Tonight I've picked at it a little bit. But I think the movie "The Aviator" triggered me. I would strongly suggest to people who are OCD or who are SI ***NOT*** to watch that movie.

It's looking like a big yellow dent in my ankle, with reddness surrounding it. There's nothing to pick. and I keep my fingernails very short, so I cant pick at it.

I'll let y'all know how it progresses.

BTW - I cant wax my bikini area. OUCH!!!!! I just shave it, which of course, leaves bumps. and then God created board/surf shorts for chicks!!!

Love,

december

I don't know if this means anything to anyone, but at least according to www.selfinjury.com SI is defined as follows:

"Self Injurious behavior is defined as deliberate, repetitive, impulsive, non-lethal harming of one's body. Self injury includes: 1) cutting; 2) scratching: 3) picking scabs or interfering with wound healing; 4) burning;5) punching self or objects;6) infecting oneself; 7) inserting objects in body openings;8) bruising or breaking bones; 9) some forms of hair pulling, as well as other various forms of bodily harm. The behaviors, which pose serious risks, may be symptoms of a mental health problem that can be treated."

Archived