CrazyBoards.org

Off bipolar meds.

well let me explain. i thought i was pregnant. so almost 2 weeks ago i stopped taking my meds so i could make sure that i was or wasnt. well i finally took the test and it was (-) thank goodness. but now my problem is that im completely manic. it is possibily one of the worst episodes ive had. im every where and no where at the same time. i was trying really pushing to piss my bf off, telling him i wanted him to blow up and i wanted him to hit me, really asking to be hit. its not like me i would never try to put myself in that position. i also went out and shopped for 2hrs because i said i wasnt going home until i had bought something. i will be driving and just not even look at the rode. and i lie in bed and i just twitch or jump or shake or i have no idea. but im so.. out of it completely and just wanna scream my head off til someone listens to me. i just dont know what i should do. am i okay just to jump back on the meds? or what? anything i can do to help this situation??

thanks.

You need to call your doctor. Dropping them like that wasn't real bright, as I'm sure you have figured out by now - even if you thought you were preggo you should have called your psychiatrist BEFORE stopping the meds.

I'd call him/her, do a bunch of mea culpas and see what needs to be done. Soon. Now is good.

First off, call your doc. Have him/her paged and talk to him immediately.

Second, start taking your meds again. Like now. I don't exactly know what it will do, but you really need to take them.

Hang in there. Maybe sequester yourself for a bit. Tell your boyfriend you need some time alone. Is there somewhere you can go where you know you'll be safe? I've hidden out at my parent's house a few times when things have gotten bad.

Keep us up to date on how things are. You'll be fine, but it may take some time.

Thought for the day--NEVER GO OFF MEDS COLD-TURKEY, ESPECIALLY IF YOU MIGHT BE PREGGERS. The hormones will make you crazier--get with a good OB and TALK about what to do.

BUT---since you did go off, and it sounds like about 2 weeks, I would start taking them again NOW, at lowest dose you have been given in the past. AND CALL YOUR DOC ON MONDAY!! (In other words, if you moved up to 100 mgs. of something, start at 25 or 50 until you can talk to pdoc)

So---what have we learned, kiddies??

Meds are not evil, they often keep us safe, and you can really fuck up your already-delicate brain chemical balance by just throwing caution and the meds to the wind.

Would that it were not so--but it is--sigh--

china

I'm not going to jump on the lecture bandwagon about how you should NOT stop taking your meds, even if you THINK you could be preggers- i think that topic was covered enough already.

What i encourage is for you to talk to your pdoc about what your meds are doing in your body, so you underatand the chemistry involved to some extent and why you need your meds, and also to develop a plan of attack for these emergencies. ladies- we never know (except for those who have gone through menopause or who are fixed, mwhahahah) when we could see that accidental positive on our pregnancy test and not know what to do. having a plan already devised with your pdoc will help ease that stress a lot.

also, you should have a backup plan with your OB/GYN AND pdoc about what to do in case of this emergency. will you continue meds? change them? stop them? as i said, knowing ahead of time would ease your stress, as would having your mind at least somewhat made up as to what you would do in case of accidental pregnancy.

personally, i've had 2 accidental pregnancies that happened during manias. i wasn't taking my meds anyway due to the manias, otherwise i would have kept taking exactly what i already take. i chose abortion for both health and personal reasons. i knew ahead of time what i would choose if that were to happen. it was still heartbreaking, but the stress was less i think than what it would have been.

take care of yoruself. get in to see your pdoc, at least call him or her, as soon as possible to get directions on how to resume your meds.

education is important. that's why i suggest learning what your meds do and why they're important.

did you know that MI disrupts the fetus perhaps more than meds in many cases? meds are not always bad in pregnancy. this is important to discuss with your medical team.

best wishes,

loon

i know it wasnt very smart of myself to stop all together. but. 2 years ago (due date was May 2nd) i had a miscarriage and i didnt want to do anything to jeopardize the chance i might be pregnant, even though i know im jeopardizing myself. and i know i need to be safe for my child to be safe and all that. but unfortuantely i cant page my pdoc, they dont have on call dr's for that. i work in the emergency department and for some reason our hosp doesn't do that. ??? but i started back and hopefully will feel better soon.

thanks for the advice.

but unfortuantely i cant page my pdoc, they dont have on call dr's for that. i work in the emergency department and for some reason our hosp doesn't do that. ??? but i started back and hopefully will feel better soon.

good that you've started up again and caught yourself before any major harm was done--and I'm sure you know this, but first thing in the morning when the doctor's office opens, CALL! make sure they know this is something that has to be dealt with right away and don't let them push you off to the side--even though you've resumed meds, you're still going to need some direction right away and everything will probably take a while to work properly again. Make sure you're safe in the meantime--take a cab or get a friend to drive you if you go to the doctors office, maybe turn over your car keys and credit cards to someone trustworthy if you feel like your judgement might go out the window, and make sure you have someone to call if you feel it getting worse before it gets better. Blah, blah, again, I'm sure you've been through all this before but it always bears repeating.

goodluck, take care of yourself,

meg

Archived