CrazyBoards.org

News: Low birth weight = adult psych. distress

that article is pretty interesting....  I actually live in a family that can sort of support this data.  I am a twin.  My mom didnt gain that much weight during her pregnancy and carried up within a couple of weeks of out due date.  In fact, my parents didnt know that they were having twind until four days before we were born!  She had had other medical difficulties during her pregnancy and was never able to get to having a sonogram, I guess.... and also the fact that she didnt really gain a whole lot of weight (about 23 pounds), didnt give anyone a reason to think that there were two..........but, wait, this is a whole other story, back to the article....

Yes, there is  a pretty big confounding variable in this, the fact that I am a girl and he is a boy.  Puting that aside, my bro weight about 5 pounds 14 ounces when he was born and If fairly sane with no MI to be seen.  I, on the other hand, was born at barely 5 pounds and I am batshit crazy...

so, there ya go!

• 1 month later...

and another one:

i had a birth weight of just over three pounds and, well . . . . i gots me a case of the crazies.

my older brother was just under six pounds.  he's had some minor depression, but he's in waaaaaaaayyyyyy better shape than i am.

Holy SHIT Jerod you were just under 14 lbs and you're mom gave birth to you the old fashioned way??!!!  THat is amazing.  I am sure you hear that all the time, not like it was your fault or anything. 

But as a woman, that freaks me out.  owowowowowowowowowowowowowowow!!!

there's no doubt in my mind (and yes, my memory, don't ask me how) that my birth state and experience was my original and most impactful trauma, though i didn't know it till much later. somehow the wonderful sciences of psychology/psychiatry look at early childhood and maybe even brain chemistry but pretty much disregard the peri-natal state and experience.

though i was a "normal" 7 pounder i was an unplanned cesarean who came out face first (rather than crown first.) i clearly remember the seemingly endless and never completed struggle, then sudden sedation, then waking up with bright lights and strangers. yikes!

on cesareans in particular there's some pretty good info at http://www.eheart.com/cesarean/index.html but for the perinatal state and experience in general i began my studies on this subject long ago by reading and following the works of Stanislav Grof MD who i see now has a site at http://www.holotropic.com/

to me it's obvious that the birth process and one's physical state and first experience in life outside of the womb can easily be the most impactful moments of one's life. not ready, too ready, not self-completed, on meds, malnourished, mom in trauma, bad setting, etc, there are many (including my therapist, thank goodness) who understand how this can lead to psychological challenges (in my case PTSD and various anxiety disorders.)

thanks for the article Ruins and everyone's personal stories. this may be some weird stuff to some but it keeps helping me.  aloha.

I was well over nine pounds at birth.  I was delivered via C-section, but only after sixty-some hours of natural labor.  I still think of myself as a stunned newborn at times (don't touch me don't talk to me don't shine at me just let me be tiny and only foggily aware you exist), but I doubt this has a whole lot to do with any unique circumstances at my birth. 

My three siblings were each successively larger.  The youngest shows signs of several psychiatric disorders (no official diagnoses, a triad of crazy meds in use), and he was nearly 13lbs.  Now, both of us were born within a year of our parents moving to a new high-stress environment, so maybe that has something more to do with it.  Perhaps high maternal stress leads towards low birth weight?  I've heard it said that stress hormones are something of a neural teratogen.  Whether that came from an article, a book, a doula, or general hearsay, I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

I was over 9lbs and crazy since birth I am sure as I was sucking my thumb and twisting my hair out till I was bald on one side when I was two years old and SCREAMED if anyone touched me, I am 41 and still feel the same about touching.

Have four children all were 6lbs.4oz. -7lbs.9 1/2oz. My oldest was told he was Bipolar when he was 17, the others all have depression of sorts.

Myself and there father both have bipolar, actually mine was called Manic Depression at the time I was told what was wrong with me at age 24, I knew I was NEVER normal by any means.

;)

Archived