CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone tried this class of drugs for BPD or severe anxiety? It's being suggested to me because of my bad reactions to anti-depressants and fear of APs...but I'm not sure I like the looks of these any better. Is the side effect profile better than with the APs? Is it true that they don't normally cause weight gain? Has anyone had success using them for the treatment of these disorders? I'm wondering if it might work because I do have a history of epilepsy in the family.

Thanks.

i use lyrica (pregabalin) for anxiety, but i don't know if it's available in canada yet. it's approved in the EU for anxiety, epilepsy and neuropathic pain and the US for epilepsy and neuropathic pain. it's helped quite a bit to level out my anxiety.

some ACs cause weight gain, some don't, just like some APs don't cause weight gain.

some people have weight gain on lyrica (or on it's cousn, neurontin) and some people don't. i didn't, but it gives some people the munchies.

lyrica has actually had no side effects for me. i started at a very low dose (50mg) and spent 3 months working my way up to 300mg (100mg 3xs a day).

lyrica hasn't been a magic bullet, but it did really allow me to cut down my benzo usage and made my sleep deeper.

topamax is known for not causing weight gain, and sometimes causing loss. however it can cause the stupids, and i've read conflicting things about it and borderline. ophelia is on it, she'll probably pipe in about it.

topamax is known for not causing weight gain, and sometimes causing loss. however it can cause the stupids, and i've read conflicting things about it and borderline. ophelia is on it, she'll probably pipe in about it.

I, personally, would not recommend topamax as your first choice drug. It does have a number of side effects (well, as do most drugs...), including cognitive problems, memory and attention issues, and other related things, giving it its other name: "dopamax." well... it isn't it's official name, but... yeah... I mean, yes, I am on it and all, but I was not perscribed it with the treatment of my BPD as the first thing in mind. It is also used for migraines, among other things. I do not want to sound completely discouraging... i am not a doctor... it is just my opinion that it is not the best drug choice for the treatment of BPD.

I am also on Lamictal. It also had/has its side effects, but it is all about the weighing of the pros and the cons. I believe that I have read some studies concluding that Lamictal can possibly be a helpful drug in the treatment of BPD. I dont know where and i can't quote it bc i havent seen/read any of them in a while due to being massively busy. I can't tell you that it is a miracle drug, because I am not having an easy time right now, but a)that doesn't mean it wouldnt work for you and b)my current problems can be, and i believe are, far beyond my current cocktail's reach.... therefore, you really cannot blame the drug for my current state i guess.

So, all in all, from what i know anyway, for the treatment of BPD, I would probably initially suggest Lamictal. BUT, then again... I am NOT a doctor, so anything I say should not be taken as gospel.... this is all just my personal opinion, trying to take into account the fact that you do not want an AP, you said that you do not react well to antidepressants, you do not want a drug with a high risk of weight gain, and in conjunction with therapy, I have heard some "success" stories.

I wrote this while doing something else, so sorry if it doesnt make sense or if it seems all choppy.... blah...

I'll just chime in that I had very good luck with Topamax in helping to manage my BPD. I did get the stupids for a day or two with dosage increases, but it pass quickly. I had more trouble with Seroquel adjustments. I also lost about 60 pounds while on it before I went on the Seroquel. Seroquel helped me put on the weight again tho. My luck with Topa was so good, it was the only AC I used.

But everyone is different.

Im BPD on Topamax but I was prescribed it as an experiment in curing my bulimia (it worked). I have noticed it has taken away my cravings for self harm/overdosing and alcohol so if you have problems with impulse control like I have it might help

i know you're hearing good things about dopeamax, and for some people it will work great. it does work for impulse control and it helped me to not drink at all (i'm a social drinker- i'll have 3-4 a night on the weekends). i'm not BPD, but i'm BP1.

i was RXed dopa for mood stabilization. it did the EXACT OPPOSITE. despite being on 400mg lamictal and enough risperdal to kill a horse, i was thrown into one of the highest manias of my life and almost ended up dead through my own stupidity.

i lost about 10lbs, but regained it when i quit dopa. it took weight watchers and the gym to lose the antipsychotic weight i had put on.

i'd say be ultra careful with dopamax. it also impared my cognitive functions, to the point where i went home the wrong way when i would go home the same way every day, forgot how to do my job, and forgot my old friends' names. yeah, it was kinda sad.

and after all that other mood stabilization, like the pretty heavy doses of lamictal and risperdal, you'd expect those to keep me stable despite the dopa. wrong.

if it is for you then it is for you. the only way you can know is to try. it did cut backon my impulses, i'll give it that. as long as it doesn't give you really bad side effects, it could be your magic bullet.

I don't know about the other ACs, but I take Topamax for my bipolar and migraines. For me, it has been a god send. However, the side effects were pretty incredible in the beginning. I'm talking about amazing cognitive, lose-your-car, stupids. They passed. There were also physical side effects. I've heard though, that if Topamax isn't right for your particular brain worms it will really, really mess you up. I never got any kind of significant weight loss effect, but it was at least weight neutral which was a nice change from some of the other medications.

I had tried Tripleptal in the past with no relief from my bipolar symptoms.

Archived