CrazyBoards.org

When I was in hospital last week (after trying to kill myself) the docs said that I was on a pretty heavy dose of effexor (375mg) and lithium (900mg).  Well I had to reply that I had run out of the 75mg tablets so I thought I could wait 2 days till my shopping day to get the script filled - oh yeah day 1 was crap and day 2 I tried to kill myself.  Someone tell this doc that I NEED my 375mg!!!

Anyone else get this from docs?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read too many posts from you so I can't speak to what your mood is normally like.  But I can say that I'm not surprised that someone might have gone suicidal 2 days after stopping their Effexor cold turkey, especially at the dose you're at.  My mood will tend to drop if I miss a dose. 

There's a thread eslewhere under this topic about how Effexor & other meds seem to have a whiplash effect when you go off them suddenly.

Edit- Here's the thread--http://www.crazyboards.org/index.php?showtopic=1886.  It's called "Relapse or Withdrawl".

Although I am not on lithium currently, I do take 600 mg. of Effexor XR in the morning.  I would like to add a new AD and am meeting with a new pdoc next week.  Unfortunately, I am scheduled for surgery the week after so an add on may have to wait.  Take care!

Zelda,

600 mg of Effexor? I have never hear of such. Like Cerberus said, that 375 mg was the ceiling on that. Do you feel Ok on this?

Sondra

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, most people (including other doctors ;) ) are surprised at my dose of Effexor.  I have been on the 600 mg. for about 1 1/2 years and on the effexor xr for about 5 1/2 yrs total.  Physically I feel fine, but mentally I think I need a adjunct to the effexor (real soon as far as I am concerned).  I also take 200 mg of provigil and clozaril.  Well, I am trying to get to the 200 on the clozaril but I HATE the sedation in the beginning so I am waiting until I have a few days off in a row to start the 200. 

Zelda,

600 mg of Effexor? I have never hear of such. Like Cerberus said, that 375 mg was the ceiling on that. Do you feel Ok on this?

Sondra

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also took 600mg of Effexor...

Todd.

• 1 month later...
Guest motorinn

i'm on 450mg of effexor and I feel no side effects. It feels the same as being on 375 side effect wise. All my doctor's patients are on super high doses of the drug.

Weeeeelllllllll an update

I am still on the same doseage - but think I need a further increase.

I am starting to lose grip on the just surviving mode of life.  I have a few things going on at the moment - housesitting 2 houses (plus my own), writing a masters thesis, working and training for a black belt in kickboxing.

I want the whole word to go away and so I can live in bed in my pjs and with my cat forever.  Its such a strain to do anything.

Hi doseages of Effexor can be OK, it mostly depends on how rapidly you digest, metabolise & excrete it. The main factor is how many copies of the P450-2D6 enzyme gene a person has. This is the enzyme that is most responsible for metabolising Effexor (and a lot of other drugs) and it's also the one the varies the most.

Archived