CrazyBoards.org

Depakote and Lamictal

I was thinking of asking my pdoc to add Lamictal to my cocktail. I've been doing my homework and it looks like there are some risks, but I have a good pdoc and would trust his judgement on dosage. The reasons for this change are firstly, my depression. I'm on Nardil (an MAOI) after 2 years of failed ADs. I'm on a low dose but taking as much as I can handle. I tried Lam in the past but had to stop because the titration is slow and I needed something faster.

The Dep seems to be not as effective. my moods swing a lot and my "hair trigger" temper is returning.

Has anyone here been on both?

Will Medicaid cover both if the Dx codes are different?

Any other thoughts?

Hi sdjeff.

I'm not taking any MAOIs but I do take Lamictal and Depakote as well as Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, and Provigil.

Depakote with the others helped a little, but mood swings and some depression didn't begin to lessen

until the addition of Lamictal. The doc just has you increase Lamictal dosage slower when you're on Depakote,

but I haven't had any problems.

If you check older posts you'll find some folks do well with the combination, others not so much.

Some experience significant side effects, others not so much.

It's always a good idea to discuss options with your doc. Good luck.

sandy

I'm not on your other meds but I have been on Lamictal and Depakote at the same time before. It didn't work out for me. I had a lot of agitation and was much more prone to mixed states with the two together (though your mileage may vary, of course). The Lamictal did help a lot with my depression (and still does, minus the Depakote and plus lithium). Not sure if that helps but there you are. : )

Archived