CrazyBoards.org

Effexor users (past or present)

I know that it MUST work for some people if it keeps on getting prescribed :)

I was prescribed Effexor XR today in addition to my Wellbutrin XL 450mg and Adderall and I have yet to get up the courage to pop my first 37.5mg capsule. Should I just go for it? I guess I just need some reassurance that it has infact worked for people and helped them...should I try and put it off until June when I'm out of school? Did you all have bad side-effects when you were starting?

I'll shush now ;) part of this is reasonable worry and part of it is me just being a ninny.

thanks for any input (good/bad/"just do it!"/whatever),

meg

Well you asked for the good and the bad.

I was on effexor xr, for about a month, it sucked for me, I was first put on lik eyou said 37.5 mg, then it was upped to 75 mg, after a few weeks, i THink it was one or two cant remember, and then I was finally on 150 mg, after that..IT made me super suicidal, and very more depressed, I couldnt continue taking it at all, and the withdrawals were horrendous, I felt like I was withdrawing from heroin all over again, it was so bad, I felt like I was dying literally my whole body ached..

but ON the positive side, my close friend was on it, and she says it saved her life, pretty much took away her depression so it differs for everyone, there you have it my experience and hers.

ps. I gained weight on it, bc it made me super super hungry all the time..

my 3 cents!! lol.

Well you asked for the good and the bad.

Thanks for being honest. I think I'm going to research for a few more days and get some more info on people's experiences and then make up my mind. I have a feeling that it's going to be 50/50 and I'll have to just do it anyway -- it seems like people love it or they hate it and that's what I was afraid of.

Sometimes I wish I was a little kid again and someone would just tell me what to do. "Take your Robitussen, it'll help your cough" or being able to just ask my parents to decide things for me when I was still a teen and living at home-- none of this ADULT "it's up to you to decide what's best for you" shit ;) so confusing.

The grass is always greener, right?

meg

I started at 75mg Effexor-XR and I got a bit better but still suicidal. I tried to commit suicide when I was on 150mg a day but it wasn't the Effexor that made me do it, it was just stuff going on in my life. I got up to 300mg a day where it made me very anxious. When I went off it I got dizzy and more depressed which sort of went away when I went on Lexapro. If I were you I'd try it. I've heard the horror stories too but I've heard stories about it being a god-send for some others.

I was on it for a pretty long time...

I had some bad rapid cycling on it, but all antidepressants do that to me. Depressed at times, hyper at times... But you have "plain" depression, so hopefully that won't be a problem. I also felt a bit emotionally numb when I wasn't cycling, but again, not worse than other antidepressants.

Good stuff:

Waaay less anxiety.

No side effects that I remember.

No problems at all quitting it, so not everyone gets the horrible withdrawal.

Oh yeah, and my mom was on it for... around half a year - a year. She also became a bit numb, but my family could really see an improvement. No more crying spells over nothing, and she was able to get out and do more stuff. She seemed more stable in general. Going off it was really rough for her though.

If you do decide to take it, good luck!

I was on Effexor for just over 4 months, starting at 37.5 mg. and gradually going up to 225 mg. I was also on 400 Mg. Wellbutrin and 100 Mg. Lamictal. The Effexor worked great for my depression, but caused some annoying sexual side-effects, so I asked to be taken off of it. Now, I'm on Cymbalta, with the same side-effects, after 3 hospitalizations and a bunch of ECT's, so no net gain.

Tommy

I was on Effexor for just over 4 months, starting at 37.5 mg. and gradually going up to 225 mg. I was also on 400 Mg. Wellbutrin and 100 Mg. Lamictal.

Hey tommy,

I'm sorry that the switching didn't go so hot for you and thank you for posting. I haven't seen much about combining WB and Effexor so that is a bit reassuring that the combination seemed to work for you--I'm currently unattached (out of a 4 year relationship and working on ME for a while without boyfriend complications) so bring on the sexual side-effects if it will help my depression -- lol, of course, I say this now, but watch my depression go away just to have me meet the guy of my dreams :-P

and Dweii, it's reassuring to know that some people don't get hit so hard with the side-effect and withdrawl-- I think you're right that I should just try it even though I'm scared ;) as it's one of my last AD options and I seem to be so odd with how meds affect me that my brain might just be the right kind of wacky for it to work. I think I'll try and start it tonight although I'll probably need another kick in the pants from someone.

Thanks for the input everyone,

meg

I love me my effexor!! It is the drug that just clicks in my head, I've tried all the drugs similar to it and it is the only thing that rocks my world. I was on 225 for awhile, now I am up to 300 because of (I think) the depression that the abilify gives me. I LOVE EFFEXOR! EFFEXOR LOVES MEEEEEE!!!

Interesting that people have gained weight on it - now I have another thing to blame my belly on!

(ETA: the withdrawls DO suck though. I had to go off for awhile and WOW was I miserable. Granted my dumbass doc had me go from 225 to 0 in 4 days, but still I thought I was going to die. Going to 37.5, then 37.5 every 2 days, worked for me to get off it)

I am having success now in conjunction with a mood stabolizer. I still have the odd shitty days but the deep depression is gone, anxiety is improved and I have more energy without hypomania at 225 mg.

On it's own, Effexor was bad news for me without a mood stabolizer and I did have the nightmarish withdrawl.

my husband has been on effexor for many years now and he really likes the stuff. i used to take it as well, until my doctor finally realized i shouldn't be on meds that hit seratonin. but i did the effexor + wellbutrin for a long time and it packs a punch in a good way. the only time i had major withdrawal issues was when i (and my husband at the same time) ran out and did the cold turkey thing. then i thought i was going to die. when i went off it i tapered off of it and used a tiny dose of prozac at the end to get me off the last dose. if you get stomach aches, make sure to take it with a meal (not just food, a real meal) and if you get afternoon headaches you might want to consider taking it in two divided doses (i had to do this, but my husband never had this issue.)

all in all it is a really solid medication and it works for a lot of people. i certainly miss what it did for my anxiety.

I love my Effexor-XR. ;) I have been on it for over two years now, and despite some harsh settling in periods, it has really helped me feel better. I have gained some weight on it, as it makes me unreasnably hungry, but it's worth it because I feel so much better.

Give it a good couple of months to settle in.

Bern

I looooooooooooove Effexor. Best med for me ever. Have been on it for four years now. Yes It helps my anxiety and depression so well. The only problem is that I can only handle a 10mg increment change per day. That means taking the 75 mg capsules and counting the beads and takes forever to reach the prescribed dose change. If I don't do that I'm in trouble with anxiety, headaches, nausea etc....

With this med you will never want to be without it and should take it the same time everyday.

I didn't want to start taking it--the horror stories and all that. But, it was the only thing that really finally kicked my ongoing depression. My psych says she's been using it alot with lamictal and getting some good results. It sure as hell worked on me!

((phew!))

I'm so glad that it's worked so well for some of you...I think this is the kick I need to start taking it. Since there are so many horror stories and so many success stories, the only way I'm going to find out if it works for me is to just jump in and do it. I'll start tonight and keep you all updated-- so far I know that:

- I need to take it at the same time each night (maybe I'll set an alarm on my cell phone to go off every day? I'm good at taking my meds but it varies depending on when I go to sleep)

- I need to ramp up slowly..the doctor gave me a starter kit that has it all layed out and dummy-proof so that's good.

- I should probably take it with food since meds tend to make me nausous the first few days no matter what they are

thanks again, any other input is of course always welcome!

meg

((phew!))

- I should probably take it with food since meds tend to make me nausous the first few days no matter what they are

thanks again, any other input is of course always welcome!

meg

It made me very naseous for about 6 weeks. It felt worse than the worst hangover I've ever had. I hope you don't get that!

Tom

yuck, that sounds horrible!

I'm sorry that you had to deal with that..I can't imagine.

I took it last night with a half of a bagel and a lot of water (am a water junkie...I drink like a fish, lol) and I can't even tell that I took anything and I've been up since 7am (took it at midnight) so that bodes well so far.

((crosses fingers))

meg

Good luck with the Effexor. Yay for not having the nausea. At your target dose of 150 mgs it will act as an SSRI, hitting serotonin pretty much exclusively. At around 225 mgs, it will start hitting norepinephrine, too, which can help a lot with energy and concentration.

It was a good med for me while it worked. It pooped out in the end like every other AD I took for an extended period of time.

The major side effect I had was constant nausea. It never went away. It never got any better. But I'd rather have that than the suicidal depression I had. My pdoc ended up giving me these little sublingual pills for the nausea. They helped take the edge off of it. Effexor was one of the few I lost weight on because I usually felt too sick to eat.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I loved effexor because it was way the hell better than the disaster that prozac was. But apparently I liked it a little too much and is so far responsible for making my hypomanias completely awesome.

I've been on 75 mg of effexor for about a year and a half. I was put on it in the hospital after being admitted for being suicidal and homicidal. The worst side effect for me was nausea---or maybe the sexual side effects. I also take 300 mg Wellbutrin XL, so that helped with the sexual ses. It did help with my suicidal thoughts.

I was a little wary at first because it seemed that everyone who had been admitted around the same time as I was also was prescribed effexor, as if the residents had just learned about, so were testing it out on patients!

d

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_thepunisher_*

I am looking at possibly effexor or cymbalta. Maybe the cymbalta just because after reading quite a bit it appears that the cymbalta works just as well alot of the time but with less side effects?

I've been on 75 mg of effexor for about a year and a half. I was put on it in the hospital after being admitted for being suicidal and homicidal. The worst side effect for me was nausea---or maybe the sexual side effects. I also take 300 mg Wellbutrin XL, so that helped with the sexual ses. It did help with my suicidal thoughts.

I was a little wary at first because it seemed that everyone who had been admitted around the same time as I was also was prescribed effexor, as if the residents had just learned about, so were testing it out on patients!

d

Archived