CrazyBoards.org

Lexapro is 25mg too much?

Guest Jessabel

Guest Jessabel

hi all, I haven't posted on here in a long time, my meds were working!

I have been on Lexapro for 1 1/2 years. works great for ocd for me. Now having some breakthrough symtoms, also much stress in my life over teh past year. I asked my nurse if I could increase to 25, she is gonna ask my doc and let me know. Is 25 mg alot?

I started out on 5, tehn few weeks went to 10, than few months went to 15. Was on 15 almost a year went to 20. same symtons break through ocd.

I have a doctor please don't say tylak to your doc about it because I have they always say it is not too much. just wondering what your expernaces have been as teh people who tkae it:0)

thanks!

Hi! I think it really depends on how your body responds. 25mg is probably fine. I take 20mg lexapro now, but I did go up to 30mg at one point for a couple weeks. I think I was less depressed with the higher dose, but it made me sleep way too much and I couldn't function well enough. So 30 was too much for me, so I went back to 20mg. Again, just see how your body handles it and go from there.

Good luck!

Guest Jessabel

There is nothing on rxlist about doses over 20mgs

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/lexapro_ids.htm#D

HI all, thanks for replying. I tlaked to my nurse agina today, she said my doc said that 20mg is teh higets you can be on? That there are no studies done with higher. She said that there is no proof basically that higher than 20 will be more therputic vs teh side affects sleepiness etc. So just have to work with what I got!

thank's all

again

jessabel

you know, studies are really strange. they say that there isn't a theraputic benefit from doses of lamictal higher than 200, yet this board is full of examples, including myself, of people taking 400. i used to take 30mg lex and when i took paxil, i took 80mg paxil.

my pdoc was never afraid to RX what my body needed. just because something hasn't been studied up to a certain amount doesn't mean that the doctor doesn't have word of mouth evidense or can't ask a colleague if something works for them.

i tend to disagree that doctors should stop where the research stops. i think drug companies are at one time willing to do anything to increase profit, and at the same time afraid of being sued, so there is the balance of what they will and will not study. they did study upper doses of lamictal and found the benefits to be statistically insignificant, however then came out with that women need about double the lamictal when taking the Pill to compensate for the estrogen. go figure. then there are high metabolizers like herrfous who rip through the stuff.

you could always look to a benzo, like klonopin, to help you if your pdoc won't give you more lexapro. personally, i say that your own health is in your own hands and what you as an adult choose to do is your own choosing. however, i'm not the one liable to be sued, or the person writing the scripts. there are alternative meds that are more powerful, like paxil, that may be what will help more. also, as i said, adding a benzo could help.

best of luck,

loon ;)

Actually, studies show that 20mgs is no more effective than 10mgs. 20mgs is the max recommended dose

It's not just drug companies that can get sued for giving prescriptions when there are no studies to indicate that there is a valid reason for doing so. Physicians can and do as well. It's called malpractice. Going over the max recommended dose is considered prescribing off label so the physician can't pass the back and blame the drug companies if he's called on it.

Archived