CrazyBoards.org

2nd Dose of Adderall XR?

i'm crashing on my XR about 6-8 hours into the dose, like when klonopin wears off. the difference is that i can take more klonopin. i asked my pdoc if i could take an afternoon dose of XR to last me through to the night, and he said that i should be fine because the XR would provide me with the help i need during the time i need it, and basically screw any other times, like when i'm trying to read or something (speaking of which, there are a few books half way done each on my desk...).

is it safe to take a second dose? standard? should i ask about it again?

When I was on Concerta (which is XR, sort of, so I'm comparing it here) I used to take a small dose in the afternoon, and that prevented the crashes.

I don't know anything about Adderall, so I've no idea about risks there.

While adderall XR has a peak effect of about 4 hours, the full duration is closer to 9.

A small dose of standard adderall in the afternoon might be a better bet.

The whole point of the XR is that it's made for once a day dosing, but the target market is schoolkids. The idea is to keep them from having to take a second dose during the schoolday.

is it safe to take a second dose? standard? should i ask about it again?

hey loon,

I was crashing on the XR too (20mg in the early morning) and the next time I saw my pdoc I asked if there was some way to avoid that. I have class in the morning and work in the evening sometimes and then I have to *choose* which is more important that I be lucid for :-P He said I could either take another 20mg XR (he wanted to switch me to 40 anyway) at about 1pm to cover me, or switch me to the regular type. I switched to the regular type so I have more control over when I take it and how much, etc. and I haven't had any crashes since. I take 20mg in the AM, then 10-20mg in the early afternoon, he prescribed me enough to take another 20mg in the evening but I have yet to do that since I'd like to keep my dose on the lower side rather than above the recc.d amount.

I've heard of more than a few people here having an XR prescription for the morning and then taking a small dose of the regular kind in the evening to cover them until bed--that sounds ideal to me. HTH, meg

thanks for the info everyone, especially the insight that it is actually marketed to school kids so they won't have to take a second dose during the day.

like with klonopin, i wonder if my body just goes through it faster, or if it wanes to the point where it isn't doing as much as it should anymore?

he could probably stand to raise it to 40mg anyway. i've been asking for an increase and he said to wait and see. we've been waiting to see for months now and i think i need an afternoon dose.

screw that reading at night and having coherent conversations!

I am rx adderall xr and it would wear off for me as well. I was rx about 10 or so mg of the instant acting to take around 1pm. This worked very well for me. Once I upped to 25mg of the xr I didn't need to take the instant anymore ;)

yeah, i was going to ask about the IR supplementatino idea- my pdoc brought it up today in our little meds mini-session (you just walk in if you need more samples or a script refill- it isn't a full session). he suggested that in my next regular session we'll talk about addingt IR at around 1-2pm to bump me up and through the day so i'm not a traffic hazzard for the hour long commute home ;) i am so seriously a dangerous driver when not on adderall!

I'm still fumbling around trying to figure out how to take these things. Presently fiddling with the IR. Boy does it have a crash at the end. I sure appreciate this thread, because I understand it better now. I agree the XR doesnt' fit my life, with only 8 hours of coverage. Not when I have evening classes that run till 9:30 pm.

a.m.

I'm still fumbling around trying to figure out how to take these things. Presently fiddling with the IR. Boy does it have a crash at the end. I sure appreciate this thread, because I understand it better now. I agree the XR doesnt' fit my life, with only 8 hours of coverage. Not when I have evening classes that run till 9:30 pm.

a.m.

Hey AM,

that's the problem I had too--the XR just didn't work when I had class at 8am and was working makeup at a show until 10pm :-P it sucked to have to 'decide' what was more important (school? things I enjoy? social life? driving?) and I've been trying to figure out an IR schedule too since he switched me over. goodluck, hope you find something that works!

it sounds like people seem to have pretty good luck with being on XR for the day and supplementing one IR for the evening--I wish my pdoc had suggested that! (I'd really make sure that option gets some good time at your next appointment, loon..sounds like it might be just what you need).

meg

Archived