CrazyBoards.org

MAOIs and cold/allergy remedies

I take Nardil and I don't know if my seasonal allergies made a quantum leap or I have a very bad long cold. Problem is, I take Nardil. Are there any OTC remedies that are ok with MAOIs?

TIA

YOu really don't want to mess around with this one-i would check with your pdoc or primary care. i vaguely remeber chlortrymeton (sp?) being ok but i'm not really sure so don't take my word for it. I took Nardil briefly and there are so many things to watch out for- most in your control is what oother meds you take and what foods you eat. when in any doubt get medical advice- ths is not something to mess with.

Ask a pharmacist.

The first antidepressants were actually derived from antihistamines, so there is a lot of potential for interaction there. The second generation antihistimines don't cross the blood/brain barrier, but I'm not sure if that's enough. Claritin is the only one that's available over the counter. Clarinex, Allegra, and a few others are still rx only. I'd avoid anything with a decongestant. If you're in Canada you should have more OTC options.

Archived