CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin Dosages

My pdoc recently upped my dose of Wellbutrin SR from 2 150mg tabs a day to 3 for a total of 450mg. He told me that he didn't care if I took one three times a day or all three in the morning. I did some research on my own and everything I see says never to take more than 200mg at a time and to take the subsequent dose at least 4 hours later. That there makes me think that my doctor is retarded and doesn't know what he is talking about especially since high doses of Wellbutrin can cause seizures. I have started taking them now 1 tablet 3 times a day, I'm just curious if anyone else knows the actual dosing of Wellbutrin and what works better.

Oh yeah, and I'm going to change pdocs after having discussed this with my tdoc for this reason and a multitude of others.

Actually I have heard of people on 450 mg, a day, It really depends onteh kind of wellbutrin you are taking, xr, sr, or xl, or just regular wellbutrin. and it isnt unheard of it to take 450 mg of Wellbutrin sr, a day, in 3 increments....But I think the stupid thing he said was to take it all in the morning, I would definitely recomment you take it in 3 increments, sometimes too much of that at once, can have disastrous results, esp when you are just starting to go up to that amount..

Oh yeah, and I'm going to change pdocs after having discussed this with my tdoc for this reason and a multitude of others.

I'm on 450mg and have been for a few months (previously on 300mg for about 8 months or so) and although it is the highest dosage that you can get with wellbutrin, it's not very uncommon or anything. I agree that it sounds like a change of doctors is in order- if you have the regular wellbutrin and not the XL then I would definetly space them out, or call the office and see if you can get a prescription for the XL version so you don't have to worry about three pills a day (ex: I take 350mg xl and 150mg xl together at night since it makes me drowsy and I don't even have to think about it until the next bedtime.) I wonder if he has any specific reason for keeping you on the regular kind? Seems like an unneeded pain in the butt--totally worth asking about. Goodluck, 450mg has been really good for me..300mg poops out after a few months and the extra boost has been great.

meg

yeah, try to get XL. i take 300mg in the am. that's it. you can take 150mg, 300mg, or 450mg, and it is very easy to do. no messing with multiple doses or anything.

150 isn't enough for me, 300 seems to work but i need more "bottom" or depression support, and 450 makes me jump off the walls with anxiety.

check with your pdoc about this newer version. i like it a lot.

My pdoc recently upped my dose of Wellbutrin SR from 2 150mg tabs a day to 3 for a total of 450mg. He told me that he didn't care if I took one three times a day or all three in the morning. I did some research on my own and everything I see says never to take more than 200mg at a time and to take the subsequent dose at least 4 hours later. That there makes me think that my doctor is retarded and doesn't know what he is talking about especially since high doses of Wellbutrin can cause seizures. I have started taking them now 1 tablet 3 times a day, I'm just curious if anyone else knows the actual dosing of Wellbutrin and what works better.

Here's the PI sheet

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_wellbutrinSR.pdf

According to wikipedia, When wellbutrin was first released max daily doses went up to 600mgs but there was a high incidence of seizures. It was taken off the market and more studies done at lower doses which were shown to be safer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellbutrin

I'd be a bit skeptical of what your doc is saying as well.

Archived