CrazyBoards.org

Is 5 MG of Abilify Going to Do Anything?

I'm currently with a p-doc that I'm really not happy with at all--but having gone through 4 in the past year, I'm trying to stay put. He is a strict psychopharmacologist--no therapy, 5-minute appointments, etc. And he wants to treat my treatment-resistant OCD and depression (which is possibly bipolar II) with Abilify.

And he is starting me out on 5 MG, what he calls a "pediatric dose." The only other drug I'm on right now is Klonopin (up to 3mg a day, as needed)--he is reluctant to put me on an SSRI because they've made me manic in the past. If it were up to me, I'd be on an SSRI with a mood stabilizer chaser, but until these drugs are OTC, I'm SOL.

Will this do ANYTHING? Is it normal to start out on such a low dose? If not, why would he bother starting me at such a low dose? This drug was a $50 co-pay, and I feel like I'm just continuously flushing money down the toilet with this guy.

Is it normal to start out on such a low dose? If not, why would he bother starting me at such a low dose? This drug was a $50 co-pay, and I feel like I'm just continuously flushing money down the toilet with this guy.

I started up slowly, too. I think it was half a pill (5mg) for a week and then one pill (10mg) for a week and then 20mg for a week. The side effects I experienced were dry heaves/puking in the mornings, but they have gone away. And I'm now on one pill (10mg) a day in the morning.

As far as the cost, my copay is only $30, but they show on our receipts how much we "saved." For the 10mg abilify, they cost $12 a pill! The 30 pill bottle is like $400. So I'm very thankful for my job (that I hate) for my insurance.

Archived