CrazyBoards.org

So I bought Max a new pair of tennis shoes...very nice leather ones (his old ones are falling apart). He wore them once and ripped out the insoles. So now they are basically useless since he stripped them down to the waffle pattern in the very bottom. He has done this before to various pairs of shoes (and once "helped" me by ripping out all MY shoe insoles ;) ) so yeah..obviously something about the insoles is not working for him.

Anyone else on the spectrum have this issue? What specifically could be bothering him? Any idea what I can replace the standard ones with? I thought of using the gel inserts, but the strong possibility of me finding chewed bits of it all over the house the next day has made me a bit nervous about trying it. Just trolling for clues. Any help is appreciated.

insoles, padding.. they chase.

some socks chase too.

and what ve said. movement necessary.

so tightness + chasing = ARRRRGH.

it's like being 4'9" and continually pressed face first into a sweaty man's back on a crowded streetcar.

or so I've heard.

yeh. they grip at the feet. socks are horrid. i hate shoes. they... catch you. it's the worse part about work. well... all the clothing... but shoes are up there ;)

no suggestions on ways around it. sandals might be your best bet.

abi

wifey--

Shoes are really uncomfortable for me the first couple weeks or so... though my problem is more with fit... they'll alternately slip and slide, or crush my ankle and heel. It doesn't help either that I can't tie shoes acceptably well (yes, I know I should get some of those 'automatic' rubber-loaded shoelaces, but I've even put off procrastinating until tomorrow).

Have you considered custom-molded insoles? The orthotic inserts I got in 2000 (for flat feet, among other things) cost around $250, and they're still intact (and correct for my feet). The only problem with orthotics is that they can REALLY hurt the first couple weeks, and I'm not sure Max will comply with this.

Barring that, there's this brand of foam-backed, cloth-covered thin gel insole called "Filet O'Sole". I use a pair of those in my running shoes (if I didn't, given my build, I'll probably fracture an ankle from the repeated impact of running). They're a lot sturdier than normal gel insoles, and more comfy (IMO).

I'm not in either your shoes or Max's, though, so YMWV. [EDIT: n.B. - The pun was unintended, but I left it in just for kicks.] [n.n.B - I so did not mean that, either.]

Thanks so much for the input. I was thinking he needed ankle support since he is a big kid, but I did not take in to account that he would take that as being restricted. ;)

As it turns out, he did manage to hurt himself yesterday clomping around in his old shoes, so they have to go regardless. I also noticed his old shoes had given him a callus on the bottom of his big toe when I was checking out why he was limping. Then he got a migraine....and his face broke out again (17 is such a fun age). Poor guy was MISERABLE! (Good thing mom knows that a couple of advil, some hot pizza, a cold soda and Lilo & Stich on TV cures all!)

I am going to try different insoles for now and look for some sandals for him to wear now that it is finally warm.

Thanks again all!

(and puns, intentional or not, are always welcome in my threads...though I reserve the right to groan at them if they are exceptionally bad!)

Archived