CrazyBoards.org

This is so wrong...

...I'm running Windows XP Pro on an Apple MacBook using Apple's BootCamp software....

No, that's not the "wrong" part...

What's so wrong about this is that my copy of Windows is retail and legal.

sorry, just had to vent,

--fous

Sort of. Unless they've made a lot of progress in the past several months, I wouldn't really consider it as up to doing a lot of things, based on what it was like last time I tried it. It "worked", but it didn't really work. There were a lot of little things that weren't quite right and caused problems. It was also (obviously) much, much slower, and some of the enthusiasm for getting it going on PPC Macs seemed to die out after Apple switched to Intel CPUs.

Fous

You are wicked.

LOLOL

I fall just shy of declaring you a capitalist zombie of the Evil Empire (MicroSoft)

But Nalgas, I disagree. I'm not sure if there arefour legit copies out there. ;)

My SO and about half of the people that I know are IT geeks, we have never bought any windows product for our pcs. We all run partially home grown boxes anyway.

I'm about to try to learn Linux just for giggles

I still haven't decided if a mac running Wndows is a good thing, or a bad thing.

Sort of like being a little pregnant.

My new Imac is on the UPS truck as we speak. I still cringe at the fact that it has INTEL stuff in it! EWWWWWW!

Sorry...been a pure Mac user since 1991.

(I really wanted a laptop, but decided I needed to NOT sell a kidney to get it!)

Sort of like being a little pregnant.

A "little" pregnant, eh.

I used to work for a diagnostics company [not disclosing anything else about them, NDA]. We had issues with our pregnancy testing devices, when during pre-mfg. QC we'd occasionally get vague "false positive" results ("a little pregnant") -- or in some other prototypes, we'd get a ridiculously bright positive, which we called "really, REALLY pregnant".

(I really wanted a laptop, but decided I needed to NOT sell a kidney to get it!)

I hear that Apple now accepts spleen donations.

I've been drooling over MacBooks for a while now. Sadly, I don't have the money for even the lowest low end one.

This week, I'm buying a new PC laptop for my new job in Korea. I'm planning on wiping it as soon as I get it and partitioning the hard drive in 3 (or possibly 4 parts). One I'll put Vista back on. It'll help for the tech support I do. But I don't plan on using it as my every day OS. One will get XP Pro (a legit copy... I guess that would make me the 5th person to have one). The last one will get Linux (probably Ubuntu but I tried out Suse before and didn't have the patience to make the wireless work with it). I think the Linux partition will actually be two, one for OS and one for data.

I've been drooling over MacBooks for a while now. Sadly, I don't have the money for even the lowest low end one.

Same here. I'm hoping that by the time I can afford one (or afford anything, really) that they'll either have one with a real video card and non-glossy screen or a smaller MacBook Pro. One of these days...

This week, I'm buying a new PC laptop for my new job in Korea. I'm planning on wiping it as soon as I get it and partitioning the hard drive in 3 (or possibly 4 parts). One I'll put Vista back on. It'll help for the tech support I do. But I don't plan on using it as my every day OS. One will get XP Pro (a legit copy... I guess that would make me the 5th person to have one). The last one will get Linux (probably Ubuntu but I tried out Suse before and didn't have the patience to make the wireless work with it). I think the Linux partition will actually be two, one for OS and one for data.

That's about how I'm setting up my new PC (although it's a desktop, and it's taken over a year of scrounging up parts...), except I absolutely refuse to put Vista on it.

If I didn't do the tech support for BOINC, I'd nuke Vista from orbit and never let it fall back to earth. But there are quirks in the installation and configuration of BOINC under Vista. And when I get help requests, I can only give second hand information. It will not be my primary OS by any stretch of the imagination. XP is driving me nutty enough as it is. I have a feeling that UAC (or whatever it's called) will be one of the first things turned off. I *really* don't need my hand held by my OS.

What Linux distro are you looking at? I've got a few Live CDs downloaded that I'm going to take a look at next week. Sadly the optical drive on my current laptop is dead as a door nail so I can't do anything with them until I buy the new one.

I have a feeling that UAC (or whatever it's called) will be one of the first things turned off. I *really* don't need my hand held by my OS.

You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or allow?

What Linux distro are you looking at? I've got a few Live CDs downloaded that I'm going to take a look at next week. Sadly the optical drive on my current laptop is dead as a door nail so I can't do anything with them until I buy the new one.

I'd like to play with Ubuntu, since I haven't really used Linux on a desktop for a while, but I like Debian for servers. I'd like to see how far it's come for stuff like that in the past few years.

LOL. I love those Mac vs PC commercials. I like the one with the error messages. The one where the PC says something like "And that one down there... Fatal error".

I've been hearing good things about Feisty Fawn. So I think I'm going to go with Ubuntu.

And a quick Google showed me Ubuntu is based off of Debian, which I've heard awesome things about.

Like I said, I tried Suse a couple months ago, but gave up on it because I couldn't get my wireless working with it. And seeing as the router is in the basement and I'm on the second floor.... there wasn't much of an option.

Hmmmm... this is getting me excited at 8 am. I must be a geek. Oh wait... I'm definitely a geek.

Looks like just about an hour to finish my download of Ubuntu ;)

Hmmm... at that rate, I might just download Kubuntu too and see if I like KDE or Gnome better.

Archived