CrazyBoards.org

Registry #%^$%^ed Up!

i've spent 6 years as a help desk analyst, and this one threw me for a loop. i asked another friend who is more of a PC engineer than i am (i'm a very customer service oriented tech), and he agreed. i ran it by the guys at our local PC repair shop and they agreed. but i'm going to run it by you for additional ideas/opinions.

i was stupid and not using a physical firewall along with software firewalls. i also wasn't updating frequently enough. so naturally, i got this really malicious malware. i have no idea what kind of damage it did, except that now my USB ports do not work and my speakers do not work.

do i have to format to clean the registry and get rid of this mess, or do you think i should do it the longer way and perhaps less reliable way of using software tools to do it?

@%$^$%^$^ ;):):cussing::wtf:

Loon-A-TiK over her PC

Do you know when you picked up the malware? As in, can you use Windows Restore to roll back to the last known good date. I've never done it, so I don't know how it works.

I can share my only malware story. I picked something up and in trying to get rid of it lost all ability to connect to the internet. I decided to wipe the entire thing and reinstall Windows. But perhaps a repair install first? Do you have a external drive you can backup to? That way if you did decide to nuke it from orbit, at least you could save your data.

To me (and granted I know exactly what you said above) it almost sounds like a driver issue. Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers?

I've never used any of the registry cleaning software. I've heard there are good ones and bad ones out there. I've also heard horror stories of them screwing up a perfectly functional registry. So if you do decide to go that way first, have a backup.

well, i ran it through a registry repair program, and at least got it to recognize that it HAS a printer attached, and HAS USB ports, though they still will not work together. i'm wondering if i have to turn it off and unplug the device and replug it or something stupid like that. at least it recognizes that it has those things now.

Try turning the whole thing off. Unplugging the printer. Turning the computer back on. Plugging in the printer.

USB and Windows.... hmph.

I have one flash drive that seems to trigger windows into wanting me to install the drivers every single time I plug it in. Every other flash drive I own is fine. Just this one crazy one.

Maybe try a different USB port too.

But yeah. check the drivers too. I know there's a way to do that. I want to say device manager. But I can't remember off the top of my head. I've seen it over at ask metafilter... When I get over there tonight, I'll search for it.

Now... I'll leave this tab open so I don't forget ;)

Try going to Start --> Control Panel --> System --> Hardware tab --> Device Manager.

Look under the Sound, video, and game controllers tab or some "sound" variation thereof. Do you see anything out of the ordinary? Particularly, a device with the evil yellow question mark. What exactly do you see for devices installed when you expand the tab?

(ignore the part about sound.. I just did a copy/paste)

From here... http://ask.metafilter.com/51105/Help-My-co...er-is-too-quiet

Guest Wanderer

i've spent 6 years as a help desk analyst, and this one threw me for a loop. i asked another friend who is more of a PC engineer than i am (i'm a very customer service oriented tech), and he agreed. i ran it by the guys at our local PC repair shop and they agreed. but i'm going to run it by you for additional ideas/opinions.

i was stupid and not using a physical firewall along with software firewalls. i also wasn't updating frequently enough. so naturally, i got this really malicious malware. i have no idea what kind of damage it did, except that now my USB ports do not work and my speakers do not work.

do i have to format to clean the registry and get rid of this mess, or do you think i should do it the longer way and perhaps less reliable way of using software tools to do it?

@%$^$%^$^ ;):):cussing::wtf:

Loon-A-TiK over her PC

Well just an opinion here but yes try the software approach first. Perhaps start with spybot search & destroy and if that doesn't work use hijackthis & post the log to one of the many tech forums that deal with spyware/malware infections.

HijackThis Tutorial @ bleepingcomputer.com Hope that's of some help.

Archived