CrazyBoards.org

Psychoses board or panic one? I dunno. Anyway, I had about the worst panic attack of my life yesterday, and despite being on Geodon for voices/hallucinations (quite successfully up until now I might add) voices were taunting me throughout it. Taunting me, which is new.

I was wondering if anyone here has noticed a relationship between their voices/hallucinations and panic attacks? As I said, things were under control and then this panic attack and the floodgates opened. I'm still kind of wondering "wtf?" Can panic really bring this stuff on or was it coincidental?

I didn't really want to post about this anywhere but I'm too curious to keep my mouth shut lol

The only thing that I feel that I can contribute is that during times of stress, or where I subconsciously felt threatened or like I was doing something risky, my voices would come up and 'bully' me back to a safer place, usually by picking on me until I retreated from whatever I was doing. Is this sounding familiar?

In a way...I kind of felt like I was being goaded. I was in a car when I was having the panic attack, and was basically being mocked because I couldn't get out of it (the car, that is). I'm not sure if there was any helpful intent by my brain there or if even my voices don't like me (/me throws pity party, invites all members, bring your own cocktail of choice, drinks OK too ; )

Seriously, though, it fed the panic quite a bit. I will mention it to my doctor but I was curious whether others have had like experiences. Thanks for sharing yours, karuna!

In a way...I kind of felt like I was being goaded. I was in a car when I was having the panic attack, and was basically being mocked because I couldn't get out of it (the car, that is). I'm not sure if there was any helpful intent by my brain there or if even my voices don't like me (/me throws pity party, invites all members, bring your own cocktail of choice, drinks OK too ; )

Seriously, though, it fed the panic quite a bit. I will mention it to my doctor but I was curious whether others have had like experiences. Thanks for sharing yours, karuna!

I can definitely relate - in a general sense. I find that my voices make me anxious and can lead to panic attacks. Sometimes they are self damaging and other times paranoid. Also, I get agitated in the afternoons which leads to panic attacks if I dont take my valium in advance.

• 3 years later...

When they were focusing on my Dx as being bipolar, they called them panic attacks, when they focus on it as schizophrenic they call it agitation. Then, at least with me, they act like somehow it has to be agitation instead of panic attacks. I've never gotten why.

When they were focusing on my Dx as being bipolar, they called them panic attacks, when they focus on it as schizophrenic they call it agitation. Then, at least with me, they act like somehow it has to be agitation instead of panic attacks. I've never gotten why.

I'm just a little confused, as you list both schizophrenia and bipolar disorder as your diagnoses. Usually, when someone experiences both the mood swings of bipolar disorder, and psychotic symptoms outside of mood episodes, I believe they're diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. So, I'm kind of wondering how your doctor arrived at your dual diagnosis?

i also suffer from agitation with voices.

That's probably because you have a psychotic disorder, and do not take your medication as prescribed, or at least that's what you've told us elsewhere.

I'm actually confused on the diagnosis thing, myself. I've been diagnosed with one and then the other at different times in my life despite the fact I don't think I've ever had a manic episode but do get extremely dark depression. Perhaps I should take the bipolar off my signature since I'm not sure it was ever right. The way I got the bipolar dx in the first place is that I changed drs and told the new doc that was my Dx but all the times I've done the testing it came up PS. At the time I really believed that was the problem and things like depakote and lamictal have helped alot with my mood. The book I have now says that schizophrenia can and often does have a mood component so that is even more confusing but I am often confused and I can't help that.

I was just looking at this Schizoaffective Disorder and found it a bit more confusing. It does however say that "differentiating schizoaffective disorder from schizophrenia and from mood disorder can be difficult. The mood symptoms in schizoaffective disorder are more prominent, and last for a substantially longer time than those in schizophrenia. Schizoaffective disorder may be distinguished from a mood disorder by the fact that delusions or hallucinations must be present in persons with schizoaffective disorder for at least two weeks in the absence of prominent mood symptoms. The diagnosis of a person with schizophrenia or mood disorder may change later to that of schizoaffective disorder, or vice versa."

Perhaps that helps? I do have psychosis without depression, too so maybe its just PS after all?

Archived