CrazyBoards.org

Ok - I've just started poking around these boards, due to a really, really bad depressive episode. I've been on antidepressants since age 16 (so 12 years) starting with Zoloft and ending with Cymbalta. Right now, I feel like the Cymbalta's stopped working or something. I also have anxiety issues. I have been so mood swinging and just wanting to cut myself (which I've never done) that I I wonder if there's something else going on besides depression and anxiety. I fit some of the criteria of bipolar and personality disorders, but not all.

I do not see a psych right now, just my regular doc, though I've done the whole therapy for years and psychiatrist prescribed meds thing.

Has anyone here been diagnosed with unipolar depression and then been reassessed to have something else? Or could it just be the way I'm reacting to my meds now (I've been on Cymbalta for over a year, so it's not new to me).

Just trying to find a reason... I read too much and think I have too many things.

have you ever been off SSRIs/SNRIs? after being on an SSRI or effexor for 10 years, one doctor finally decided that if they weren't working we should try something else, and so here i am on just wellbutrin (and other stuff, but wellbutrin is my only AD) and i'm feeling much more stable than before. it's just a thought. some people don't play well with SSRIs. sometimes it means your BP something, sometimes it means something else.

you should see if you can get into see a pdoc. i love my GP but he refuses to do psych meds, and for a good reason... he isn't a psychiatrist.

welcome to the boards.

I have been off of meds, I took myself off of Paxil in 2000 and stayed off for about a year. I ended up with such severe panic attacks and mood swings that I peed myself while having a breakdown (TMI, I know) and ended up being put back on Paxil with Ativan for the attacks. Then I was on Lexapro, back to Paxil, and then to Cymbalta.

Hi tortor,

I had bouts of severe depression throughout my teens, from about age 12/13, but wasn't prescribed ADs until I was 17. I was eventualy diagnosed bipolar aged 23, after prozac made me manic. Looking back, I was having bouts of hypomania mixed in with the depressions, but I never mentioned them to anyone: hey, I felt great, why the hell would I complain?! So anyway, yeah, I was assumed to be unipolar depressed for about 10years, then reassessed as bipolar.

In terms of thinking there might be something else going on, perhaps it would be useful to keep a journal or a mood diary for a while and make an appointment to see a psychiatrist to discuss things with? I know that when I've kept mood charts it becomes much more obvious that I'm swinging - but if I don't track it daily, I forget how I felt yesterday/two/three days ago etc. Unless I'm having a major episode, obviously.

Hope some of this might be vaguely helpful...and welcome to crazyboards!

xx

I was diagnosed with severe depression about 4 years ago and just diagnosed with bipolar 1 about two years ago. I had been dealing with the depression and manic episodes since I was a teen also, but it just took until age 48 before I went to see a Psychiatrist after a recommendation from my Marriage counselor.

Tommy

Archived