CrazyBoards.org

Cogentin for dyskinesia from Abilify

Today my pdoc prescribed Cogentin for a "mild" case of dyskinesia from Abilify. After I called her yesterday, she asked me to come by her office today. She doesn't want to take me off the Abilify because it is working well -- my moods have improved greatly on the currentcocktail. Has anyone else used Coegentin for this. Pdoc says it will also help with my drooling problems.

Tommy

It helped a bit with the spoon-flinging EPS I had on Zyprexa, though I was pretty annoyed that it blurred my vision (this got in the way of my line of work... instead of my hands not being able to direct the instrument, after Cogentin, my eyes couldn't direct my hands!). But don't let that give you a "no-cebo" effect. Cogentin works wonders for many people who get EPS on AAPs.

It didn't relieve my akathisia at all, though.

Oh yeah, make sure to keep a close eye on your dyskinesias (I hope your pdoc examines you as such)... those can suck. (I have them with or without APs!)

• 3 weeks later...

I took it with Risperdal and now with Haldol for EPS issues. Works ok but does blur my vision.

It blurs my vision a little bit, but not every time I take it. I did find out (the hard way) that it makes it somewhat scary to drive; I would have trouble staying in my lane on some busy streets. Pdoc suggested taking it (the Cogentin) after I get to work, which seems to be working well. I don't think I'll ever take it before driving again, that was too frightening an experience. It wasn't like driving drunk, because my motor skills still worked fine, I just felt a little dizzy and it affected my vision a little bit.

Tommy

I took it with Risperdal and now with Haldol for EPS issues. Works ok but does blur my vision.

It blurs my vision a little bit, but not every time I take it. I did find out (the hard way) that it makes it somewhat scary to drive; I would have trouble staying in my lane on some busy streets. Pdoc suggested taking it (the Cogentin) after I get to work, which seems to be working well. I don't think I'll ever take it before driving again, that was too frightening an experience. It wasn't like driving drunk, because my motor skills still worked fine, I just felt a little dizzy and it affected my vision a little bit.

Tommy

Yes, driving can be quite an experience sometimes. I only drive when I have to. I know the valley streets well enough. I don't work so I take it once in the morning and again at night.

Archived