CrazyBoards.org

Conversion Disorder

I'm going into hospital for some tests to rule out a bunch of stuff, but my Neuro thinks that based on my history, all the tests will be normal and he will be sending me to a pdoc who specializes in Neuro/psych disorders ie Conversion Disorder. It makes complete sense to me looking back but I've been so ill and housebound to even think of that.

Is there any help on this forum for Conversion Disorder or can someone direct me to another one. Thanks.

Viv

Viv--

There is a little bit of discussion on conversion and somatoform/psychosomatic disorders in this subforum as well as the chronic/neuropathic pain subforum.

Just make sure that your Neuro runs a good workup on you to exclude any non-conversion disorders. Mine didn't, and in the mean time I've sustained mild brain damage from a chronic brain/CNS infection (aka encephalitis).

Whether or not you have a real conversion disorder, neuropsychologists and neuropsychiatrists can be of help. They generally specialize in treating the mood and emotional symptoms of neurological, pain, somatoform, and conversion disorders, as well as treating the physical symptoms themselves.

Keep us posted if you can....

I don't know about you, but I don't think there could be anything worse than being told that something is all in my head. That s why I feel compelled to write. I hope these next few sentences can help with what you are about to go thru.the neuro and psych tests. Cause it is distressing to have to subject yourself to other peoples opinions or at least I find it so. It is nice to get some attention, but worrisome to think what some doctor is going to say.

There is no- one worse than the other- physical or emotional pain. They both hurt and they both affect each other. Most people with long lasting physical illnesses become depressed. Depressed people have physical symptoms too. No one can prove 100% that a symptom is or is not physical in origin despite all the medical technology in the world it is still difficult to diagnose MS in its early stages. Remember that it happens often enough in medicine that people go many years for medical attention before getting a diagnosis. That does not mean that you should go to drs forever searching for an answer.

There are diseases no one knows anything about. Ther are many diseases with an emotional component i.e irritable bowel syndrome, asthma, autoimmune disorders for example. There are symtoms that go away on their own ie. mitral valve prolapse in women (which a few psychologists think is an emotional problem) it has gone away and it can be a medical emergency/incredible huh?. There are orphan/rare diseases that only 1 or two doctors will know about. And there are diseases that go in remission and must be true for psych problems aswell. We are raised to believe that doctors have the answers and that if we are sick we will get better/they will make us better, but they no more than us, that it is not always true.

I should not be centring on illnesses, but I want you to know it is not that simple to, nor should we, divide the mind and the body. Everyone has had a headache from stress, butterflies in the stomach before exam, nausea from nervousness, dry mouth from fear etc....It is all real.

Doctors don't know everything and you are most knowledgeable about your body always!!!!! And doctors do not even have to be part of the cure, you can follow your own path in life. If you are told you need medical intervention psychiatric or not, then you probably do, but it is not always absolute.

Edit: to add I have seen so many doctors in my life and some of the time they have been right and have saved my life, some have been wrong and have left me for dead, some have given me choice in medical cases where there was no right or wrong way to go about and I had to decide for myself. These situations have happemed with medical doctors and non-medical ones. It has happened numerous times for me and I think you will be feeling the same going on with you with regards to your symptoms being psychological or not. I've had many doctors give up on me and not take my case. It happens lots and you are not alone. Please don't take it personal.

One thing I am sure you have realized that NEUROLOGISTS act like they are all knowing and GODLY. They are the smartest and brightest and noone is above them. In their office think about how AWFUL they feel when they did not act when they should have. Everyone of them has been in such a situation. NEUROLOGISTS know they do NOT know everything 100%. They are the doctors that most often have NOTHING to offer because despite all their training they know they are not GODS and neuro problems are rare to fix. even though they get to play God everyday by saving people lives with life saving neurosurgery, in their offices most of the people lthey meet they can do nothing for. That is the truth for the average neurologist and their acting GODly is a protective coat.

There are support groups for everything out there/ Many times I got support from specific groups even though I had no diagnosis but people sympathized with being nowhere concrete in a system anywhere. Everyone is lost before knowing what is wrong.

And 1 final thought - if there is nothing physical wrong with you now, there will be soon! lol. We all get there.

(Look at your sibs, parents, grandparents. What will affect you will was what happened with them) Is your mom a neurotic nut?

I also have conversion disorder. I have it with pseudoseizures. Last year was horrible with it. I would have 60 or more seizures a day. I didn't function. Now I only get them when I'm trying to sleep or sometimes in the car. Don't worry I don't drive because of that and several other reasons. I went to the hospital and they ran all sorts of tests on me such as a several day long EEG, and neuropsychological testing. They determined that it was conversion disorder causing the seizures rather than epilepsy. Conversion disorder is no fun. I also have jerking movements which is caused by the same thing. I also have pain which is "all in my head" just like about every other symptom that I've experienced in my life. Nothing turns out to be real and a physical reason for my symptoms. Last year I also had hearing trouble for a few months which the doctor thought it was real and even gave me hearing aids but the hearing problems went away after a few months and I don't even need those $5,000 hearing aids anymore! Conversion disorder can cause blindness, deafness, seizures, or you can even be paralyzed. What symptoms are you having?

I also have conversion disorder. I have it with pseudoseizures. Last year was horrible with it. I would have 60 or more seizures a day. I didn't function. Now I only get them when I'm trying to sleep or sometimes in the car. Don't worry I don't drive because of that and several other reasons. I went to the hospital and they ran all sorts of tests on me such as a several day long EEG, and neuropsychological testing. They determined that it was conversion disorder causing the seizures rather than epilepsy. Conversion disorder is no fun. I also have jerking movements which is caused by the same thing.

Minor aside here, but if you don't mind me asking and you telling, what was the sort of therapy they gave you to help with it? I do believe you mentioned in another thread that your seizures had gotten a lot better eventually, so it would be interesting to hear what/how treatment helped you. It'd probably be informational for the thread-starter, too...

I also have pain which is "all in my head" just like about every other symptom that I've experienced in my life. Nothing turns out to be real and a physical reason for my symptoms. Last year I also had hearing trouble for a few months which the doctor thought it was real and even gave me hearing aids but the hearing problems went away after a few months and I don't even need those $5,000 hearing aids anymore! Conversion disorder can cause blindness, deafness, seizures, or you can even be paralyzed. What symptoms are you having?

I do assume they did some testing just to make sure the pain was all in your head... my neuropathic pain is a consequence of my spine impinging slightly on my nerves and a neurological infection, as well as psychological factors (I used to be quite a hypochondriac at the time the pain started, in 1999, when I was 16. It didn't help either that I had visible twitches inside my muscles [aka fasciculations], which scared the s#*%@t out of both me as well as my docs, since these can rarely be signs of very serious disorders, chiefly ALS/MND/Lou Gehrig's Disease). I've always thought personally that pain disorders have significant factors on both ends, anyways.

oh yeah, Viv --

would love to hear back from you, I think you'll get some good starter advice here. check back when you can. :-)

Archived