CrazyBoards.org

I used to stay up every night until 3 AM or so drinking "Irish Speedballs" (1 part Irish Whiskey and 1 part Espresso), chainsmoking, and reading email and chat sites. I haven't had a drink in over three years now and I try to only smoke when I'm actually in the hospital.

Tommy

Ehh, don't feel lonely.... I'm on another quit attempt myself [ i'm now 22... it can be a bit tough when all of your friends still wanna hit the bars most nights, or go to parties ]. I had gone 3 days sober, slipped, then went 6 days, and slipped two nights in a row. Nothing to do but to hop back on the wagon and try, try again. Plus, i've been coming off of Strattera [ which seemed to have been causing some depression, rather than helping out as it first did ], and also have found that i'm "carbohydrate intolerant". Go figure.

Check out the post entitled "My life and marriage and alcohol", just a few lines down. Very good read, and a strong and inspirational guy.

Ehh, don't feel lonely.... I'm on another quit attempt myself [ i'm now 22... it can be a bit tough when all of your friends still wanna hit the bars most nights, or go to parties ]. I had gone 3 days sober, slipped, then went 6 days, and slipped two nights in a row. Nothing to do but to hop back on the wagon and try, try again. Plus, i've been coming off of Strattera [ which seemed to have been causing some depression, rather than helping out as it first did ], and also have found that i'm "carbohydrate intolerant". Go figure.

Check out the post entitled "My life and marriage and alcohol", just a few lines down. Very good read, and a strong and inspirational guy.

I didn't slip. I've been sober for more than 15 years with no slips. I was wanting to see if anyone else had more than five years or so sober. Staying sober after 15 years has its own challenges that aren't like getting sober.

I agree - that is a good thread. I've been reading it off and on.

Good luck to you. ;)

142 days for me. 15 years? Now that's a goal to aim for. Good for you cockers. And I somewhat understand your statement about different challanges after such a long period of sobriety, but then again...the longest period I've ever had prior to my current quest was 5 years.

I'll keep trying to catch up to you though, okay?

Martin

142 days for me. 15 years? Now that's a goal to aim for. Good for you cockers. And I somewhat understand your statement about different challanges after such a long period of sobriety, but then again...the longest period I've ever had prior to my current quest was 5 years.

I'll keep trying to catch up to you though, okay?

Martin

I hope you do catch up to me. ;) I decided to catch up to my mom. She'll have 32 years this year.

The challenges are different at this point, but challenges remain. I remember someone telling me that they weren't going to lie to me - not drinking got different after a while. Now I know what they meant. You look back and see how much your life changed when you quit drinking.

I don't use AA to stop, but I do agree with them that the only way to do it is one day at a time.

Good for you... that's so awesome. I wish to one day quit altogether, or be able to handle how much I drink at a time [ which i'm not sure will happen ]. I've went to one AA meeting, but i'm not sure if it's the thing for me.

It may not be. It's not for everyone. For some people it's literally a lifesaver, but for others it's an oppressive dungeon that makes things worse.

Check out Rational Recovery, SOS and some of the other programs like that if you feel the need for one. They are just as good.

I am not sure that I was a true alcoholic, but I definitely misused it, I would binge drink when socializing, and drink alone when I was depressed, drink during lunchtimes at school and work, etc. I had one drink at Christmas but felt uncomfy about it. I don't think I have drunk in 2007.

I literally can not drink.

It was never a issue before, because I was not in a lifestyle that alcohol was allow.

So, what you did not know ever have, well you know.

My last alcoholic beverage was January 6th of 2006, the night the Phillies were in the Superbowl.

Prior couple years I would say it sounds like I drank like VE, but I could not handle that.

Anyway, I learn in the most tragic way.

So, I will not be drinking, and I am grateful that a side effect of the PTSD, for me anyway, have left me with not missing it at all.

In fact a total hate of all memories associated with ever doing so.

A very deep hate of the person I was when I drank.

I guess real disgrace and hate, can sober you up fast.

Don't wish it on anyone else, but it sure did work.

Like a ton of bricks dropping on your head.

Congrats on your sobriety and Loon-A-Tik, you Mom's!

• 4 weeks later...

finally decided about a month ago after a couple of close calls with experiences which could have resulted in incarceration that the risk is just not worth it. i only drink when i'm high and then i can put down a case a day and not get really drunk but i end up in situations with people i wouldn't normally associate with and eventually because of this i end up getting arrested or stolen from or just generally make bad decisions.

i finally saw the writing on the wall that it is just not for me and i cannot control myself while drinking and if i continue to drink something is going to happen to me that won't rub off.

it's been about a month now and i know in my heart that i just can't drink anymore. it will interfere with one of my major goals which is to never be arrested again for the rest of my life. i can drink 100 times and not get in any trouble 99 times but it's that 1 time that gets me in trouble. i also don't want to end up an old broken down drunk sitting in a bar at 9am drinking like i ahve seen some people doing!!!!!!!

I was a heavy drinker (~35 drinks per week) for about a year, and ended up spontaneously stopping when I moved to 700 miles away from where I started drinking.

I don't know if the sudden absence of drinking cues from my old place caused me to quit, but after I moved, I just wasn't interested in alcohol any more. Alcohol doesn't anymore give me that drunken euphoria I had back in my later college years (2002-2003) as well as through 2005-2006. It now just leaves me with annoying alcohol breath.

I'm also lucky I never suffered the DT (or general shakes, for that matter) in the days following quitting.

I haven't had a major craving since, and have since only gotten drunk once, at a New Year's 2007 party. And that was only very mildly drunk (5 drinks over 4 hours). Tipsy, if you will. So I guess that was my one slip-up after quitting, but otherwise, I've been sober for a year and a half. Not abstaining, mind y'all, but max maybe a drink a week.

Archived