CrazyBoards.org

Hi All,

as some of you know - I suck at all things "tech," "computer," "digital," ect.

however, i have grown tired of carrying a portable cd player and a big book of 20 CDs. plus, i really need to step into the 21st century.

so, im thinking about buying an ipod shuffle - 1 G(something) 240 songs. thats really all i need.

im trying to be *responsible* about this purchase and not make any decisions without getting input. i like the pink one and its taking all control for me not to just order it NOW. specifically, im looking to buy one before the baby pops out - that way i can take it to the hospital.

so...is this a good buy or bad? are there other comparable devices? i like that the shuffle can clip on one's shirt.

and my brother has offered to do the work of putting my cds on the shuffle.

thanks,

december

Hi december,

ipods are great! Not sure about the shuffle though, you might wish you had one with a bit more memory. I've had the mini and now the nano, 4GB is a perfect size. Actually a 2G is probably OK too (not sure if the shuffle comes that size. You do need a reasonably "up to date" computer though. When I bought the mini I had to upgrade my computer at the same time. Depends how old/new your current computer is.

I'd say go for it. When I bought my first ipod, it was the best purchase I ever made, got a LOT of pleasure out of it.

hey december-

I have the new shuffle (and damnit, I got it before the gorgeous blue one came out- boo!) and I love it. As long as you aren't one of those people who is picky about "oh I really want to listen to THAT song" and want to know what is up next or have moods that you get in where you want a specific type of song (roommate is like this..she hates shuffles because she can't control what comes when and just change the song if the mood strikes her for one specifically). As long as you're one of those people who is perfectly content to listen to music as it comes and not have to control every detail then it sounds perfect for you. I got mine for about $60 at best buy because it was an open-box item and I'm really happy with it (it never runs out of charge! it lasts so long, it's great). I got it for the darkroom so when I'm printing in pitch black for 8 hours straight I can keep my mind occupied and awake by having a really fun and random mix of music--I love the little clip too-- I usually just clip it onto my shirt strap or the neckline of my shirt and it stays out of the way.

whoo- wordy way to say I like it, huh? ;) hope it helps!

meg

Ipods are great if you don't mind apple's lovely m4a format. It doesn't do much for me.

Personally, if you have a bunch of mp3s already, you are better off getting a windoze based mp3 player. It's much more versatile format.

Also, for about the same amount of money, you can get an mp3 player with a display, plus most of them play ogg, wav, and aac files (audio formats). And some of them also have an fm tuner to boot.

Just my 2 cents.

I have a mp3 player that was equivalent in capacity and size to an early Shuffle, and two-thirds third its cost, with a screen and controls and a radio and a voice recorder. You can probably get better now for the same price if you go non-Apple; I paid about $65.

call me crazy, but i never jumped on on the ipod train. They can be overpriced compared to other brands of mp3 players. Years ago, after my brother did extensive research, we both ended up getting the Creative Zen Touch. They have gotten much better and smaller since then. I would recommend looking into the Creative Zens if you want to branch out from ipod.

whatever you choose, i'm sure will work out fine, db...

good luck.

Just to correct a bunch of misleading information, you don't have to use AAC/M4A. They play MP3s just fine, you know. And WAV files, and so on. Also, a whole lot of recent stuff plays AACs, and a higher percentage of new things seem to include it. That is absolutely not a good reason not to get one at all (because it's not true). A good reason would be because you want something cheaper or with different features from what iPods have. I know a lot of people who have iPods and are very happy with them. I also know a lot of people who have various other things who are very happy with them. If you're going to recommend for or against something, at least be right.

Also, WMA is way more of a lock in than AAC. Things can only support WMA by licensing it from Microsoft specifically. AAC is a much more open standard from the same people who brought you MP3 (both of them are MPEG standards, so they're not controlled by a single company).

Yeah what's this M4A crap, bit of misleading information alright. ipods play mp3s, all my songs on my ipod are mp3.

I'd never buy some imitation player. Ipods are fantastic and the newer ones are getting better and better re battery life and so on.

Ipods rule.

I'd never buy some imitation player. Ipods are fantastic and the newer ones are getting better and better re battery life and so on.

Ipods rule.

other media players that aren't ipods are not just "some imitation player." It isn't like I went to china town and got a knock-off handbag, you know? I am just saying that ipod is not the only type of media player out there. In fact, many people I know in RL *hate* them and I felt that I would offer an alternative. I know that, even though I do not have an ipod, I am still absolutely fine with my media player. I mean, I would like to get a new one just because it is about three years old and extremely obsolete, but Creative is by no means an inferior product just because it is not an ipod...

Hold on folks, I didn't say it wouldn't play mp3s. I said APPLE'S format is m4a. I also never said it wouldn't play those other formats either.

Easy now.

AAC/M4A is not an Apple format or "APPLE'S format". It is the default format iTunes encodes to, although that can be easily changed to MP3 or WAV or AIFF or whatever, but it's an MPEG standard, not an Apple one. Microsoft, Sony, SanDisk, Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, and a lot of other people use it or support it, too. That's like saying MP3 is Nullsoft's format because it's what Winamp uses by default (although it's supported AAC for a while, too).

DB,

I think the bottom line is probably that you won't regret a portable media player purchase.

whether you decide on a shuffle or some other kind, you will enjoy not lugging around CDs etc.

i think meg's comments on the shuffle are useful.

the rest is just tech noise, pretty much.

i personally love my designer handbag, but i wouldn't dismiss someone else's love of whatever they have. these things are little and like seemingly all of the other darn technology out there, but i really think there is huge value to being able to put on that de-stressing classical music, or good workout music, or play that favourite song for someone, wherever i happen to be.

it also helps that i can very easily hook up the thing to my car stereo. well. i really like that, it's awesome, but i tend to not listen to traffic news and find myself in bumper-to-bumper a fair bit more these days.

Everything plays mp3s. true enough. Why on earth do you want mp3? M4a is a much better format. You just have to take the lockin that goes with it.

Locked into a proprietary format is locked into a proprietary format btw. You don't want your electronic music collection stuck in mp3 because that's what your portable uses when there are better formats available.

With ogg-aotv you can get VBR files in the 128kps range that sound great whereas with mp3 you're still stuck at at 192 VBR bitrate for the same sound quality. You get the same quality with m4a, but you're stuck with ipod and itunes.

If you use mp3, convert using lame with --preset-standard and no switches btw. Anything else will degrade the sound quality or produce a larger file.

For ogg-aotv you can get by with q3 and be fine, using 2/3 the space of mp3, thereby letting you cram that much more music onto your player.

Others brands tend to have less expensive battery replacements, an actual display, and more physical storage space, regardless of format used.

I just noticed that the players I suggested don't even support ogg. They used to. Heh.

You get the same quality with m4a, but you're stuck with ipod and itunes.

This is the last frickin' time I'm going to say this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_audi...hat_support_AAC

Heh.

Not that I disagree with the rest of what you said, it just bugs me when people are persistently wrong.

Also, PJ makes a good point that I was thinking of last night and then forgot to say anything about. Because the vast majority of people have iPods, there are way more accessories for them than anything else, they're easier to integrate with your car stereo, and it's pretty easy to find someone else who has one if you have any questions about how to do something. There are actually pretty decent reasons to get/like them, unless you want something less expensive or with different features from what they offer, in which case, go nuts with something else.

Note: I do not have an iPod or any other type of portable music player, ever since I put a pickaxe through my Discman five years ago (I was sick of opening it up to fix it, so I threw it at the wall to see what would happen, and it surprisingly made it work again for a couple more weeks, but then it died again, so...).

I've never been a fan of the shuffle... it never struck me as anything more than a cutesy, easy-to-lose fashion accessory (providing you didn't already mistake it for a stick of gum and then destroy it by chewing. I wouldn't even put that one past myself.).

It's been said here but I'm going to repeat it... there are plenty of MP3 players at the shuffle's price point... and most of them have... wait for this... *display screens*.... *GASP*... and get this... the ability to select whatever song you want, in whatever order... *gasps and faints*.

Save for the shuffle, I actually like the iPod line. I happen to be the proud owner of an 8GB iPod nano, and like it quite much, thank you.

**oh yeah, for anybody with silicovaginosis over the M4A format and would prefer compressed MP3s, simply go into iTunes, right click/ctrl+click the song, and select "Convert to MP3". If that's not seen as an option there, visit the Preferences window under the iTunes top menu. Click the "advanced" icon above the window bar, then go to the "Importing" tab. Under the "import using" menu, select "MP3 encoder". Voila. Return to main window, right click song, convert to MP3!

Note: I do not have an iPod or any other type of portable music player, ever since I put a pickaxe through my Discman five years ago.

I'm not sure that beats the time I took a hot iron skillet to an overly-loud smoke alarm. This is why being a cataplectic cook requires some care when near a smoke alarm. [n.B. - The smoke alarm went off, my right arm, which was holding the red-hot skillet, lost all muscle tone, and the skillet dropped on my foot. My foot wasn't scarred irreversibly, but in the heat of the moment, taking the hot skillet to the smoke alarm just seemed to be the right thing to do at the time.]

**oh yeah, for anybody with silicovaginosis over the M4A format and would prefer compressed MP3s, simply go into iTunes, right click/ctrl+click the song, and select "Convert to MP3". If that's not seen as an option there, visit the Preferences window under the iTunes top menu. Click the "advanced" icon above the window bar, then go to the "Importing" tab. Under the "import using" menu, select "MP3 encoder". Voila. Return to main window, right click song, convert to MP3!

You can't convert from one lossy format to another lossy format without losing quality and gaining bits. I try to only download lossless formats and convert them to lossy myself because people insist on using all kinds of automatic ripping programs that make crappy files that they then share.

If you don't want your songs in mp3, the only way to get them in another format without losing sound quality is to rerip them.

Nalgas:

This are better than the wikipedia link:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=AAC

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=AAC_FAQ

As far as I'm concerned there isn't a lot of difference because AAC is barely supported under free software. FAAD2 sucks and there is no replaygain support at all.

I recommend buying all the vinyl you can get your hands on btw, particularly for jazz and classical. CDs don't compare.

woot

git yurself a portable music player

you'll never regret it IMO

i have a nano and there's no way I could make it in the real work world without it's calming influence

especially when doing repetitive stuff

or changing a bad mood to

whatever

have over 300 songs and memory's not even 1/2 used up

Hi All:

It appears I opened pandora's box regarding a portable music device that is neither a cassette tape or CD player.

(which reminds me of college boyfriends making me mix-tapes....oh, the days...)

I am very appreciative of everyone's suggestions and advice. It greatly helped. I definitely know who to ask about this kind of stuff in the future!!

I made a decision and purchase. as PJ said - I will be very happy not to lug around a cd player & book.

the amount of info on this thread is just awesome. I hope others in the market for similar devices will find this information useful. I did.

much thanks!!!

december

Archived