CrazyBoards.org

Klonopin for helping with sleep?

I started taking Prozac back in January and have in the first couple of months had issues staying asleep. We increased it 3 weeks ago to 30mg and I am back to the same......I know this is a side effect for me - it's the only one I have gotten since beginning it.

I have tried Benedryl - 50mg - to sleep and it made me feel like I had a 'hang over' the following morning and start a sluggish day.

I have tried Advil PM and that didn't work at all.

I tried Valerian Root last night (I have taken it in the past for anxiety - so I know how it works) and I was up about ever 45 minutes and then awake fully 230-330(ish).......

I have Klonopin that I can take for anxiety 1mg 4x's a day if needed. I have not needed it but here and there and not to the full allowance in a days time.

Has anyone tried Klonopin for sleep? If so what dosage did you take? I am curious to see if other's have used a Benzo for sleep. I have read that some doctors prescribe benzo's as well as sleeping pills for sleep. I don't want to begin a every night sleeping pill I just want to get to where I can control it every other night...although I would love it to be every night I don't necessarily want to have to depend on it.

Any suggestions are welcome =)

Thanks!

**I forgot to add I have NO signs of mania...none.

I take 2mgs at bedtime when I am having trouble sleeping. I also take it for anxiety relief during the day on occasion. I try not to take it that often so I don't develop a tolerance for it. I've been on it for about 3-4 years.

I take 2 mg. of Klonopin to help me fall asleep, but I also take 30 mg. Restoril and 1 mg. Cogentin (pdoc said that besides helping with my dyskinesia, it will help me alseep better).

Tommy

Thank you for all your replies.

I tried 2mg's of Klonopin (generic) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights and have slept all 3 nights. I was hoping not to wake up with the groggy feeling because I have 2 children to get off to school ----- and I didn't!!! I am going to do this for a couple of weeks and then go to every other night and so on until I am off. I don't want to have to depend on something to sleep since sleeping at night fully has never been a issue before in my life......

You all are the best =)

I feel groggy and unstable (physically) when the cat wakes me at 3 AM because she's decided it's breakfast time. She wakes me by rattling paper or riffling through magazines -- it is very annoying (and effective) . When I wake up at normal wake-up time, I feel no grogginess or hangover. I take 2 mg. clonopin and 30 mg. Restoril.

Tommy

• 4 weeks later...

I take 2mg of Klonopin every night for sleep. I fall asleep quickly and feel fine in the morning. I suppose I am probably addicted to it for sleep, but hey, there are worse things. When I run out of Klonopin I take 50mg of Seroquel. That knocks me out but good. I hate taking it because it makes me feel like I've had two vodka tonics, half a joint and a sleeping pill. Then the next morning, a hang over.

Good luck!

Archived