CrazyBoards.org

Jan PMS cry Feb PMS rage Mar PMS delusions

Am taking 8 pills a day for my MoOd DISorder and well it is NOT enough. Every month for the past four years means yet again another med adjustment increase, switch, or add on etc. So what about the pill? I was so eager to take it when I was 20 and now that I don't need it for birth control I can't imagine taking it. Playing with hormones seems to go so against mother nature and I can't get over how unatural they seem Yes irrational, but it is like trying to contemplate taking your first psychotropic med. When I am back to being human and functional I will read this forum for info. Can't do that right now as I can not see. I am crying rivers.

Discussion, information, personal accounts, politics, anything would be greatly appreciated. What do you think about woman taking the pill for PMS? The makers of the pill say that the pill can be taken so that women do not menstrate at all and that is how they wanted to market it in the 60's but society was no where near ready to accept that women do not need to do the monthly bleed. What do you think?

I'm thinking about going back on the pill even though I'm not having sex right now, for the exact same reason. I think it's been around a year since I last took them, but I remember having less PMS, less cramps and generally being less of a bitch.

If you think about it, taking psychotropic meds is just as "unnatural". Taking painkillers as well.

I myself, wouldn't want to skip my period totally though. THAT would feel unnatural to me.

Playing with hormones is going against mother nature, but taking 8 different medicines to control your mood disorder is somehow not?

Bottom line is, if your PMS is debilitating, you might be better off doing something about it.

I have severe PMDD (crying, rage, delusions, and SI). I take birth control pills continuously, so that my hormones don't fluctuate. This has been a godsend for me, because weekly adjustments in my meds just didn't cut it.

I have had my eye on this topic for some time. I am shocked at how many women - even women doctors - come up with vague, non-medical responses defending menstruation, such as it's unnatural to manipulate your hormones, the period is a symbol of femininity, society can't accept a woman choosing to not have a period, etc. I don't understand what exactly these points of view are defending. The truth is, there is no known medical reason to menstruate. Whether or not one associates blood, cramps, pain, mental instability and being handicapped for two weeks out of every month with femininity is not really a medical issue. I don't care what society thinks - it's not like I used to parade down the street every month waving my tampons around to let everyone know I was bleeding. Menstruation or lack thereof is nobody's business except the doctor and patient, and now we're back in medical territory again.

I should mention that my pdoc ignored me when I told him I had PMDD, and instead said he was "just going to treat the symptoms as Bipolar Disorder". I do have Bipolar Disorder, but I knew he was wrong to assume that my monthly hormonal cycle played no role in the extreme moodswings and psychosis that came on like clockwork. To me it was so obvious. It was very frustrating finding someone to listen to me. I finally went to Planned Parenthood and told them I have Bipolar and PMDD, and they hooked me up with the pill for continuous use - although they still wanted me to have a (fake) period every 4 months. I tried this, and not surprisingly had a major psychotic episode as I was taking the sugar pills. So I'm saying, PMS and PMDD are not issues that are widely understood by the general medical community, and the success I've had with suppressing my menstrual cycle has been a result of my own trial and error and research.

I'm also saying, it's unlikely that a doctor is going to write you a script for the pill and tell you to take it continuously without a break, but if you're suffering on a regular basis, you might want to try it. Do your research - I haven't been able to find any health risk associated with menstrual suppression.

John Rock's Error

I don't care what society thinks - it's not like I used to parade down the street every month waving my tampons around to let everyone know I was bleeding.

OK, this made me laugh!

I've never been on the Pill because I've always heard it makes mood swings worse. Maybe I've heard wrong. In any case, ever since I started menstruating at age 11, I've had serious problems with what I thought was PMS but am now 99.99999% sure is PMDD. Taking continuous birth control pills to stop having a period sounds like a dream to me. If there's no medical reason to have a period, then I say go for it. As for this being unnatural, well... even though it's "only" a song lyric and therefore might seem silly to some people, I've always believed in this: "You cannot go against nature, because when you do go against nature, it's part of nature too." -- Love & Rockets, "No New Tale To Tell"

Dweii, (((((hugs))))))) that you go thru so much. Thank you for both replies. Right "now" I'm more concerned about how the pill has an environmental impact (ie. in the water). Yes I'm a nut. Nomi this is true to the slogan.

I don't particularily care (at the moment) what detrimental effect the BC will have on me, if any. It is hard for me to think about something that may or may not help. Yes I know psychotropics work for me and pain meds do work those are a gaurantee. Do I need to go psychotic during PMS to give it a go? Probably. I am slow to take action and am stuborn as a mule. I'd like to see a definative personal pattern with psychosis and PMS. Wait till then? Yeah I'm dumb.

Will do more reasearch soon.

It's too soon to tell for sure, but I've been on Seasonique for almost a month and it does seem to be helping. As an added plus (and another reason I went on it), is I haven't had a migraine since going on it. My only complaint so far is that I've been spotting (quite heavily at times) for a solid two weeks now. But that's supposed to go away. Oh... and I've noticed a minor dip in my sex drive. But since that was on the high side before, that's not too big of a problem yet, either.

Archived