CrazyBoards.org

Ok, this is a tough one

Ok, I've been on every atypical exept Clozaril. I was on Zyprexa for over a year. Risperdal for almost a year. Now I take Haldol ubt it doesn't work well. Thats another post though.

So, I gained over 130 lbs that will never come off. I also have a new problem. I get these quasidiabetic symptoms of I don't eat every couple of hours. I'm not officially diabetic and everytime there has been at test it's been normal. So, what gives? I have to eat something with carbs every couple of hours most days and if I don't I get really sick. shaking, headaches, nausea, difficulty thinking, etc.

Any thoughts at all? I know this is a tough one and if you are a bigger geek than me you might know someting. I can't figure it out.

TIA

i am not technically diabetic. in fact, i have very LOW blood sugar. my doctor told me i am hypoglycemic and "pre diabetic" meaning that my body is showing signs of difficulty with sugars but my blood sugar itself is still in the safe zone.

i just stick to a no refined sugar diet (and low refined flour and low salt), exercise (i need to get in more walking) and eat every two to four hours around the clock and try to help my body not have to become fully diabetic.

you might be in a similar situation. i'd say keep eating when you need to, but watch what you eat, get in as much walking as you can (which is somehow better for my blood sugar than any other form of exercise... fast walking a mile a day), and keep an eye on your blood sugar ;)

abi

I was first diagnosed as diabetic some 17 years ago (gosh, that's hard for me to believe it's been that long) and the symptoms you describe sound like low blood sugar. Blood sugar that is way high, just makes you feel really sluggish. It sound like you are, like abifae, hypoglycemic right now. Then again, I'm not a doctor, just a crazy diabetic.

Tommy

Doesn't sound unusual. I have those same issues. Pre-diabetic symptoms. It's a warning sign.

You may want to look in to the glycemic index. Possibly taking cinnamon as a supplement.

What you have to do (if you are similar to me) is try to keep your blood sugar as level as possible. Like Abi said, avoid refined sugars...switch to whole grains instead of white flour and white rice...avoid potatoes like the plague...watch out for corn too. All of these make your blood sugar spike and then you crash. At the crash you feel like crap, so you eat some more and you feel better....until the next crash.

It sucks, but if you start to make changes now, you may be able to avoid full-blown diabetes in the future.

wow, very interesting. I do unfortunately go from crash to crash on refined sugars. It's hard though. It seems I'm as addicted to sugar as I am with cigarettes. It's a tough cycle to break. I also have a fairly active social life and I'm out a lot. Fast food is about the only thing out there. My friends know about my problem and accomodate me. But again, I know it's bad, refined sugars.

I've tried fruits but it's like I'm eating nothing. Eating protien (like a hard boiled egg) has minimal effect. Are there any common high carb bars that don't taste like crap? Something I could buy at say a walmart?

I had horrible hypoglycemia when I was on Zyprexa a few years back. I used to have it as a kid, anyways... guess I'm susceptible. Dad's diabetic anyways (at 56), and Mom (44) is rapidly on her way to becoming so.

As far as food goes, I spent a while searching for something that would quell my nightly Remeron-induced sugar cravings (this atop me having night-eating syndrome! my body doesn't think it's dinnertime until about 2 AM). I finally found that a homemade trail mix of walnuts and sweetened dried cranberries (yeah, a little refined sugar there...) does the trick extremely well. It's not only sweet, but high in bulk/fiber, so it won't take a lot of it before you feel full.

Hi,

I think the idea of "3 meals a day" is outdated.

there may be a reason your body wants food every few hours. it could be anything (like pre-diabetes) or it could just be your "food clock" wanting smaller portions throughout the day instead of 3 big meals.

thats me...even before i was preggers.

good luck!!

december

Archived