CrazyBoards.org

For the females

For the past yr I have been "out there" more than usual .

Usually a week before the "event" (u know, the one women get monthly) I get out of control. It starts with me running around really happy about nothing for 2 days. On the 3rd day I get angry. Like "don't talk to me," "don't look at me", "are u still breathing angry"---that can go till the 4 or 5 day. On the 5th day I want sex. No excuses, just give me sex and once is not enough. (husand likes that day!)

Then either right after that or the next day I start crying..and crying, and crying. U don't have to do anything, I'll cry over a look, or lack of one. I'll cry when I'm happy or pissed. I even can cry while laughing nonstop for 30 min or more.t

This will continue on till I'm well into the the period week. Its like a two week mini-cycle every month and it is driving my family nuts. The Doc says due to yrs of treatment for my Leukemia that I'm well into the change.Thats ok, knew it was coming, but come on ,it is getting worse and worse. I can't take hormones due to ongoing treatment but I also know I must do something because I'm out of control in my thinking and actions during this time.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've always been like, but without the "happy" part. Just the raging, want to kill everything in sight, "DON'T EVEN DARE TO EXIST WITHIN MY PRESENCE!!" type of rage. Then I get the 3 days of wanting sex, sex, SEX!!!

Sorry I don't know what to do about treating it.

I don't have any ideas, except maybe a small hit of Xanax when you feel angry or like crying. I sympathize with you, tho. I have horrible hormonal moodswings that make me insane beyond description. I am able to take hormones to keep my levels even, and that pretty much solves the problem. Before that, I tried using chamomile tea, a special PMS diet, exercise, SSRI's - but nothing really helped significantly. The effects of hormonal shifts on moods are tremendous, there is no denying that. Don't give up looking for a solution - there has to be something out there that will help. ;)

my mom had chemo for her cervical cancer, and is bp1. it seems to have made her worse in the period department. she was going through menopause when she had all of it taken out, so now she just feels and acts like she's in menopause, because of the lack of hormones, not because of them.

she used to take hormone replacement therapy, and i thought it helped, but she stopped because she became afraid of it.

do you take an SSRI? a lot of women are prescribed an SSRI to take either during a certain time in the month or all the time for hormonal swings. prozac is sold under a different name (don't remember what it is) for treating PMDD.

my sympathies. my periods are normal and i only get a little crabby. but i'm 28 and hopefully nowhere near the Change.

Hi,

before i was preggers...but on the same meds - i would always have the crying spells during the first few days before and during my period. thats why the paxil went up to 80mg.

actually the crying was always present prior & during the period. even in jr high & high school. and luckily i have a very understanding mom who would let me take off school on the worst day of the cycle.

as for your tx of leukemia - i have no idea how that would play with your body & hormones. that might be part of it.

good luck,

december

do you take an SSRI? a lot of women are prescribed an SSRI to take either during a certain time in the month or all the time for hormonal swings. prozac is sold under a different name (don't remember what it is) for treating PMDD.

I believe that you are referring to the trade name "Sarafem." I am not on it even though I do have PMDD. I believe I do have more to say about this topic, but it is 5:30am and I cannot think... I'll check back later...

Be well all and remember to "have a happy period..." ;)

Thanks for the feedback.... ;) I have horrible luck with ssri's..I've been on about all of them one time or another since my teens and every one gave me bad reactions and suicidal urges. Prozac was the cause of a few life altering events, like doing 80 into a wall on the second week of taking them---- so needless to say I say away from them all now. I'm trying to find something to help until treatment ends then I might be able to do hormones...

The hardest thing is my emotions and reactions get worse every month now. Last month I was ready to either move far, far, away or kill myself and thats a feeling I try to stay away from. I have been great on the controlling my bipolar thing for 8 yrs now but I feel I have NONE now......Its scary cause I'm all about control..I've lost control over my body so mind control is important.

again, a very quick response because I am in a hurry...

I believe that the specific birth control pill Yaz has been approved to treat PMDD. Again, I have no experience on this issue because due to health issues (blood related) I really cannot be on birth control due to the risks on clots. In that respect, it sucks to be me... I will look some more stuff up when I get the chance... possible later this afternoon or tonight...

Thanks for the feedback.... :rolleyes: I have horrible luck with ssri's..I've been on about all of them one time or another since my teens and every one gave me bad reactions and suicidal urges. Prozac was the cause of a few life altering events, like doing 80 into a wall on the second week of taking them---- so needless to say I say away from them all now. I'm trying to find something to help until treatment ends then I might be able to do hormones...

The hardest thing is my emotions and reactions get worse every month now. Last month I was ready to either move far, far, away or kill myself and thats a feeling I try to stay away from. I have been great on the controlling my bipolar thing for 8 yrs now but I feel I have NONE now......Its scary cause I'm all about control..I've lost control over my body so mind control is important.

My guess is that hormonal mood shifts are more powerful than Bipolar mood shifts - I can relate to being able to control Bipolar moodswings, but the hormonal swings completely kick my ass. It is scary, for sure. You might want to look into small amounts of Xanax to help you get through the really extreme times. It has been a wonder drug for me. :)

Archived