CrazyBoards.org

I am seeing a pdoc for postpartum depression and she rx'd me Risperdal for 'racing thoughts' with my anxiety and depression (on top of Prozac, Effexor, and Xanax) and I'm terrified. I'm trying to get RID of hormonal problems not increase them. The abilify seems like a dream but why didnt it work for me? I felt really physically ill and internally restless on 5 mg! I tried Seroquel- too sedating. I need something to slow down my thoughts and help me stay awake and concentrate! Risperdal seems like a mistake waiting to happen for me.

Any thoughts?

Amy,

No telling why the Abilify didn't work for you; it works great for me, but in the land of psych meds you have to always remember that different meds work (or don't) differently in different folks. I've had no experience with Risperidal.

Tommy

Risperdal is great for a busy mind. I found it a little bit sedating, but nowhere near as bad as Seroquel. It also got better with time, and i'm pretty much over that now.

You're on a pretty low dose, so I doubt you've got to worry about hormonal problems. Just give it a shot, and hopefully it will work out better than Abilify.

Also, post partum means you just had a baby, does it not? congratulations!

i take abilify now. i used to take risperdal, but i have a horror story, but nowhere near as bad as how i reacted to seroquel. THAT was hell on earth.

anyway, i really liked what risp was doing for me, so i accepted the lactation. however, i soon stopped having my period, and my hair started falling out in handfulls. icouldn't take the symptoms together, especially the hair part (it was so depressing), so i went to my gyn because i knew it was hormonal. she talked to my pdoc and they reduced and eliminated my risp and put me on abilify. my prolactin was 10x normal.

high prolactin is something seen in lactating mothers, not in the general population.

i'd warn against risp for women especially seeing as how it fucks with your hormones so much. they did a lot of bloodwork for me and it showed that basically my body hormones were like that of a lactating mother.

now i have a warning- if that's how my body will react post-partum, i'll never have a baby! ;)

loon

I've been on risperdal for a while now with no problems or side effects. The only way I know it's working is how crazy I get when I miss a dose. It's worth a try, in my opinion.

Archived