Pharmacists

Not sure if I should post here or at Got the Good Stuff, please move if necessary.

I have the best pharmacist.  He takes time to listen, gives advice when asked, works well with my doctors and I guess I have more faith in him than my pdoc, tdoc and family doc altogether.  I guess I also believe he knows a lot more about the meds I take than any of the doctors as drugs are his specialty. 

I don't recall hearing anyone here speak of their pharmacist so I wondered if anyone else has a great one.  Mind you I live in smalltown Ontario, so maybe I'm just really lucky.

Sulu

I go to a chain drug store and I have 2 pharmacists. They know me by name (go figure) and I know them by name. They go out of there way to do things for me. Like giving me 2 weeks of Lithium because the company doing Lithium is so backordered due to Abel labs. I just can't say enough about them.

Just got back from said pharmacist and he gave me 3 days of my script for Wellbutrin cause my pdoc hadn't phoned it in yet.  Just another example of what I love about him.  Sulu

Motorgrrl, I use CVS. I am in Grand Rapids.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the CVS stores around me are terrible. I'm right near Detroit on the east side. lately i've been going to the hospital pharmacies...they are a bit better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't been impressed by the CVS stores either (and these are the west side ones northville/livonia/farmington area) I am trying out walgreens now to see if they are any better.

I consider myself pretty lucky, in that my best friend's S-I-L is a pharm.  She works for Walgreen's in Knoxville, TN.  Much too far away to get my scripts filled there, but Mike is more than willing to call her if I have a question.  If I thought I could handle school again, I'd be a pharm major.  Mike's S-I-L Got her job straight out of uni, and is earning $90,000 a year.

Many many years ago I once thought all pharmacists were invovled in a vast conspiracy. After all I wasn't getting better and the pharmacists were handing over the pills.

In actuality the pharmacists I have have had been pretty helpful. I have often thought like the above poster that the job would be a pretty good one.

I am fortunate to have the pharmacist I do. He actually owns a good old fashioned drug store. He and his staff know all the regulars by name. They still make deliveries and do it at no added cost. He is good about telling us prices before hand if something is going to be very exspensive and he always gives some kind of discount if it is possible. He has always accepted any kind of free or discount Rx program that we are enrolled in. And now his daughters are going to pharm school so the business wil stay in the family.

It is so nice to still be able to go to a real neighborhood pharmacy and not have to rely on one of the big chains.

Erika

Erika, indeed we are the lucky ones, my pharmacy does deliveries also.  Just got back from The Apothecary (that is the name of the drugstore) and my pharmacist once again spent a lot of time discussing why he agreed with my pdoc that I need to up my Wellbutrin dose.  Also during our discussion he told me that in his opinion I am doing very well with what I dealing with, making good decisions etc.  I left feeling much better than when I walked in.  Most people don't even have doctors that are that caring.  Counting my blessings wherever I can find them, Sulu

• 2 weeks later...

Another lucky one here.  I live in a big city (not in the US) and have been going to the same pharmacy since I was 13 (I turn 33 this year).  My husband and I are currently going through severe financial difficulties and hassles with finding the correct psychiatric meds, and we are in there just about every day with changes, small (and large) med adjustments etc etc.  The owner and his deputies go out of their way to assist us and make plans to call in meds, break up scripts into affordable chunks and work around and with the medical insurance company.  They knew my husband by name after the first time he saw them in April this year.  The staff on the floor are incredibly kind and we have never heard a single snide remark about the number of times we're in there.  On the other hand, the larger chain pharmacies are hideous - and this is a general rule here for some reason. Unfortunately our government is going out of its way to make it impossible for the small privately owned businesses to keep functioning.  Ugh.  We will, however, go out of our way to support these guys til the bitter end.  Being stuck in the mental health system and dealing with varying degrees of nasty ego's... I can't go on enough what a difference it makes to have this kind of support.  There've been a number of occasions recently where the head pharmacist has made some very intelligent and critical calls on poor treatment/scripts from pdocs we have dealt with.. life-saving stuff.

Archived