CrazyBoards.org

Cymbalta Day 8

Guest wileycat

Guest wileycat

It is oddly enough helping with my Fibromyalgia symptoms. I think it is going to helpmy neuropathy. A lot of fibro patiients have had good luck with it. I don't think it does much though for any non-diffuse neuropathic pain so far.

I don't notice any great decrease in my depression yet except that it is making me feel very tired and kind of flat.

The PI sheet says to watch for worsening symptoms. I don't like this blunted flat feeling and wonder if it is an increase in depression actually.

Just wondering if it took anyone who takes this a while to notice the effects and at what point did you start noticing it helping you with depression? two weeks - a couple of months?

I am still taking Wellbutrin SR with this and can't sleep for shit.

Oh, and does the constipation go away eventually?

wileycat,

I noticed an improvement in my mood within a week or two - especially an almost complete cessation of rumination. Had a few days of euphoria after 4-6 weeks (a lot of people here have reported that) followed by a nose-dive (also fairly common) that lasted 2-4 weeks, then it leveled out. The "flat" feeling didn't go away and I also was still experiencing fatigue and lack of energy. Adding Wellbutrin helped with both of those things (particularly the flatness). I think the constipation is one of the things that doesn't improve over time - best you can do for that is diet (high fiber, lots of fruit, etc.).

I don't have fibro or any other neuropathic pain stuff (except migraines), so I can't comment on those aspects. It has not reduced the frequency or severity of the migraines I get.

~Sunshine

Hi Wileycat:

Just thought I'd join the group urging you to be patient.  It took about 8 weeks for me to feel the full effect of cymbalta, but I love it now that I've gotten this far.

In terms of constipation, it didn't do that to me---but I'm a "foodie" and we eat a high-fiber diet as a matter of course.  If you're into breakfast cereals, there's a healthy one called "Kashi Go-Lean Crunch" that is high-fiber, high protein and low-fat.  A cup of it is 32% of your fiber for the day.  Put some blueberries or strawberries in it and you'll be all set!  It's too hot to eat oatmeal this time of year, so that's why I eat this one.

Also, watch your alcohol intake.  I don't know your age or situation, but if you normally like to have drinks regularly, that could interfere with how well the drug works.  I found that out accidently, so I'm being very careful with the wine. 

Just some suggestions!  I hope it works for you--

olga

Well, I'm only on week 3 of this myself.  Feelin an inkling better than I was.  I would have termed this last bout as major depression.  I can't sleep for shit either, I still try on my own and then resort to the old xanax cabinet to help me sleep.  I'm hoping it clears up.  Nothing like not sleeping to keep the depression cycling! 

Guest wileycat

I just stopped drinking so I hope that will help too. I am eating a lot more fiber and taking metamucil with water. The sleep is still bad but I also still take wellbutrin. I think it is going to start helpiing though. It is helping my pain levels but I am still really down lately.

• 1 month later...
Guest PinkToo2grrl

The first 3-4 weeks on it can be a roller coster ride so give it some time and then see what you think of it.

a roller coaster ride like ....  yesterday i was a ball of energy and had a great day, and today i am yawning and crying and blew up at my boss and want to hide in the closet?

Pinky and Need:

Yeah, it's a little uppy and downy that first couple of weeks.

I'll repeat--watch the alcohol intake.  And smoking reduces the efficacy of the drug by a LOT!

I didn't feel like it was operating all the way up to the top until I had been on it 8 weeks.  But it has now been almost 3 months and it's a nice even feeling.  Still got the dry mouth but I'm sleeping fine and it seems to be weight neutral.

Hang on a little longer and give it time to work.

olga

Archived